« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Dies From Injuries

10/11/2013 8:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

1011-adrian-peterson-02

update_bar
3:00 PM PDT:
Peterson just sent a series of Tweets: "God Bless everyone and thank u so much. The NFL is a fraternity of brothers and I am thankful for the tweets, phone calls and text messages from my fellow players. Thank you to my family, my fans and fans of other teams for their support."

gray-bar-update

Adrian Peterson's 2-year-old son has died ... cops have confirmed.

Cops believe Peterson's son was severely beaten by 27-year-old Joseph Patterson, the man who was dating the mother of the NFL star's child.

As we reported, the mother of the child has decided to donate the child's organs to people in need.

The boy was on life support since 5:30 PM Thursday ... but his condition never improved ... so family members made the decision to take the child off the ventilator.

Sources tell TMZ .. Adrian was informed about the situation before the news went public.

We're told Peterson will be planning the funeral with other members of the boy's family.

Patterson was initially arrested in Sioux Falls, South Dakota for assault and battery of an infant -- and now, it's almost certain the charges will be elevated to murder.

The details surrounding the beating are unclear -- but cops say medical responders were called to the apartment where the child was living on Wednesday evening ... and he was unresponsive when help arrived.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Terry Woods

I say just leave Patterson alone in a room with Peterson for an hour. Justice served. How awful my thoughts and prayers are with Peterson and his family

lol

Hi, I'd like to file a Missing Persons report for Joseph Patterson, he's been missing since about 6 pm Wednesday.

There's no way he would have even had the opportunity to get arrested if that was my son.

Suzy

Stories like this are heartbreaking. And unfortunately too common. Mom's new bf has anger issues and takes it out on her child and most of the time mom knows and allows it to happen. These guys are obviously sick in the head and need putting out of their misery for sure, there's gonna be plenty of people lining up to put an end to this guy which he more than deserves. Not saying it's the case in this story but if the mother allowed this to happen and it wasnt the first time he had beat her child, then she deserves the same fate as he bf. If anyone layed a hand on my kids, they'd be the ones gettin hit round the head! A mother's job is to protect her child with every fiber of her being.

betseymcqueen

Skit, I see what you're saying. Someone always says these girls are "groupies" or "golddiggers" when they read about a guy hitting a women, on TMZ. But, there are definitely those who get upset when ANYONE is assaulted, so don't sell those people short.

Lo

Child abuse is what has happened to my son an almost lost him, I can't believe that people could put their hands on a defense less child whom can't fight back. May god continue to bless his family. An angels comfort him as he too is an angel.

Sid

Amber Olson

First of all my condolences go out to the Peterson family. I couldn't even imagine what he is going through. Second of all screw the judge that let this sick f**k out on bond after brutally attacking a 2 year old toddler that then resulted in a death. What does that say about our judicial system???? Pretty screwed up.

Amber Olson

Patterson deserves to be locked in jail for life with a bunch of guys that don't respect baby killers. He will get what he deserves.

Bellaca

The parents (not Peterson) should go to prison.

frieda

my sympathy to the family of this poor child. The death of a child is the worst thing that can happen to a parent.

cynthia

where was the mother

gerry

Our Hearts and Prayers are with you. We are so sorry for your loss. There are no words that can fill the Void. But I Pray the Lord Will give you and your family the Comfort, Strength, Support and Faith that you need to carry on. God Be with you and your Family. <3.

pattycakes not to be confused with pattycake

My son told me about this tragedy. He says Peterson is the best in the NFL and he's playing Sunday. He showed me a picture of him and the baby. Very sad when a child dies and the father was powerless. Very sad.

olu32

My deepest & sincere condolenses to Adrian Peterson & his family

minersbabygirl

What heart breaking news, I for sure will be praying for the family of this little angel! And praying his killer will be held accountable to the fullest extent of the law!