« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Dies From Injuries

10/11/2013 8:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

1011-adrian-peterson-02

update_bar
3:00 PM PDT:
Peterson just sent a series of Tweets: "God Bless everyone and thank u so much. The NFL is a fraternity of brothers and I am thankful for the tweets, phone calls and text messages from my fellow players. Thank you to my family, my fans and fans of other teams for their support."

gray-bar-update

Adrian Peterson's 2-year-old son has died ... cops have confirmed.

Cops believe Peterson's son was severely beaten by 27-year-old Joseph Patterson, the man who was dating the mother of the NFL star's child.

As we reported, the mother of the child has decided to donate the child's organs to people in need.

The boy was on life support since 5:30 PM Thursday ... but his condition never improved ... so family members made the decision to take the child off the ventilator.

Sources tell TMZ .. Adrian was informed about the situation before the news went public.

We're told Peterson will be planning the funeral with other members of the boy's family.

Patterson was initially arrested in Sioux Falls, South Dakota for assault and battery of an infant -- and now, it's almost certain the charges will be elevated to murder.

The details surrounding the beating are unclear -- but cops say medical responders were called to the apartment where the child was living on Wednesday evening ... and he was unresponsive when help arrived.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Dead account Delete at will

He don't care he's playing football. Bother him with the little things when its off season

JakeSteed

I ain't sayin' she a gold-digger...

lisa

to lose a child is heartbreaking enough but to know that your baby suffered so needlessly at the hands of an adult must be absolutely devastating. I hope this guy gets the longest sentence possible and rots away in his cell.

Andrea

this is heartbreaking!! praying for this family!!

Bob

Sickening & maddening at the same time. Disappointed in A.P for now leaving the team to keep vigil for this child. An innocent life like this deserved better from him. BUT I'm not naive enough to actually think he had much of a role in this babies life which is why the mother of this child found another father figure to care for the boy. Just sad all the way around.

Farrakhan Ashy Larry

Only 2 years to enjoy life. I hope Joseph gets fed to the K-9s. RIP little man.

''' V '''

Some of these women sure know how to pick a good man to be around they're children don't they... This is so sad. R.I.P. Lil Man.

Vince

Really sad deal. Thoughts and prayers to AP and his family

Meyersmedley

This disgusts me. Who could do this to a child?? I hope he gets the most severe punishment for this crime. So horrible that this poor baby had to suffer such a horrible death. Senseless.

Ev

Why is the mother not in jail? It was responsability to protect this baby!

Azi

Heartbreaking !!! My condolences to the entire family for the loss of this precious baby.

jillypoo

OH ADRIÁN, I AM SOOOO VERY SORRY TO LEARN THIS HORRIBLE NEWS OF YOUR BABY BOY!! MAY HE REST IN PEACE, IN OUR LORDS LOVING ARMS......

lala

A.P. is at practice as we speak. Kind of tells you everything you need to know. Him and the mother should be in jail right alongside the murderer. NONE of these people looked out for that innocent child. RIP little angel baby.

lala

So glad that A.P. was at practice while his son lay dying. What a guy. RIP little baby. With those kind of parents, you never had a chance.

bridget gura

r.i.p little man,god bless the sweet angel. prayers to his family. hope the family gets justice.