« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Dies From Injuries

10/11/2013 8:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

1011-adrian-peterson-02

update_bar
3:00 PM PDT:
Peterson just sent a series of Tweets: "God Bless everyone and thank u so much. The NFL is a fraternity of brothers and I am thankful for the tweets, phone calls and text messages from my fellow players. Thank you to my family, my fans and fans of other teams for their support."

gray-bar-update

Adrian Peterson's 2-year-old son has died ... cops have confirmed.

Cops believe Peterson's son was severely beaten by 27-year-old Joseph Patterson, the man who was dating the mother of the NFL star's child.

As we reported, the mother of the child has decided to donate the child's organs to people in need.

The boy was on life support since 5:30 PM Thursday ... but his condition never improved ... so family members made the decision to take the child off the ventilator.

Sources tell TMZ .. Adrian was informed about the situation before the news went public.

We're told Peterson will be planning the funeral with other members of the boy's family.

Patterson was initially arrested in Sioux Falls, South Dakota for assault and battery of an infant -- and now, it's almost certain the charges will be elevated to murder.

The details surrounding the beating are unclear -- but cops say medical responders were called to the apartment where the child was living on Wednesday evening ... and he was unresponsive when help arrived.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Ricky

Let's have some swift justice in this case. I hope SD has the death penalty. If guilty, this guy is not worth taxpayer money even if he's rotting in jail for the rest of his life. Death by firing squad!

Kelly Rollins

From here out Joseph Patterson needs to be looking over his shoulder...he's dead meat for being a child beater! Hopefully he meets the same as what was given.

My deepest sympathy to AP and his sons mother...you're in our prayers. His son will be dad's angel as AP plays his heart out in his memory.

God Bless.

Sharon1826

What is wrong with these idiot women that expose their children to these abusive thugs ????? Arrest her ass too!!! Was dating this murderer worth the life of your son? Stupid B...h?

ADiva4Sure

R.I.P..Little Man...for everyone that's ripping on A.P....really, you can't tell that man how to handle his pain, everyone handles things differently, so let that man handle his pain the best way he knows how...

AlwaysOnTimeB

Joseph Patterson should suffer the same fate that he dealt out to this poor innocent baby! He is the worst kind of s*** walking. He doesn't even deserve to be called a human being. He's more like a monster in my eyes. My the little one RIP.

amerksfan

If adrian wore a condom which are 99% effective when he slept with a woman he wasnt married too would this story happen

unreal

They should put Paterson on suicide watch, to make sure he goes through with it

Dani

My heart is breaking for Adrian. May the boyfriend rot in hell. RIP little one.

Denver

Tragic. But notice how TMZ had an adult write this story and called her "the mother of the NFL star's child" instead of baby mama?

bosslady

misslisa

I'm from Minnesota, annd I just heard on the local news he was beaten with a steel pipe. How someone could do that to anyone let alone a 2 year old is beyond my comprehension. My condolences to the family. RIP little guy. :-(

Gsharon 710

RIP Lil angel. Hopefully you will live on through another. Family, we care!

Onestar

Violence against children MUST STOP. This is not okay. What a horrible situation, RIP and I hope the family can find peace.

Jessica

Um, hello. Does this story sound odd to you? So much for keeping hope for your son, right? How are they just going to take him off life support? And why in the world would his dad continue to play this monday? And why the heck is dad focusing more on sending these stupid tweets out then focusing on your dead son. SMH!! WTF!! They all messed up in the head. Disgusting.

Celeb Gossip Addict

This poor baby just didn't stand a chance from the beginning. Had he lived the mother exposing him to this kind of monster was going to turn him into a monster as well. God bless his precious soul. I pray the mother can forgive herself and learn from this tragedy.