« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Dies From Injuries

10/11/2013 8:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

1011-adrian-peterson-02

update_bar
3:00 PM PDT:
Peterson just sent a series of Tweets: "God Bless everyone and thank u so much. The NFL is a fraternity of brothers and I am thankful for the tweets, phone calls and text messages from my fellow players. Thank you to my family, my fans and fans of other teams for their support."

gray-bar-update

Adrian Peterson's 2-year-old son has died ... cops have confirmed.

Cops believe Peterson's son was severely beaten by 27-year-old Joseph Patterson, the man who was dating the mother of the NFL star's child.

As we reported, the mother of the child has decided to donate the child's organs to people in need.

The boy was on life support since 5:30 PM Thursday ... but his condition never improved ... so family members made the decision to take the child off the ventilator.

Sources tell TMZ .. Adrian was informed about the situation before the news went public.

We're told Peterson will be planning the funeral with other members of the boy's family.

Patterson was initially arrested in Sioux Falls, South Dakota for assault and battery of an infant -- and now, it's almost certain the charges will be elevated to murder.

The details surrounding the beating are unclear -- but cops say medical responders were called to the apartment where the child was living on Wednesday evening ... and he was unresponsive when help arrived.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

jenfitz

So sad ! That man was salty AP was that boys father and he killed the boy ! That man had to of showed signs of being a nut job ! What wrong with the mom !

Mel Johnson

This is so sad!!! The child didn't ask for this and the mother needs to be in trouble as well because it's obvious that she has let him discipline him before!!! I feel bad for the child but at least he is one of God's Angels now!!! RIP BABYBOY!!!

Lee

They will plea bargain this to five years. Hopefully prison justice take care of this baby killer.

seamus

So sad. There is a special place in HELL for people that harm defenseless children. RIP little man.

DeeMaree

Pictures up at DM of the guy that did this.

Rachel

On keloland.com they have a picture of the bastard that killed this poor little boy. He was huge. That poor two year old didn't stand a chance. It breaks my heart to think that this happened. They should put him in a room by himself with the boys father and then we will see how brave he really is. Bastard!

baybek8s

This is when an eye for an eye and do unto others should be carried out, literally.

Victoria

Where was the mother when all this was going on?

She's baaaack

A man beat a 2 year old to death. Oh my god, do you realize how tiny a 2 year old child is compared to an adult male? I hope that man is stomped to death before he even gets to trial for his plea bargain because if he pleads he'll get some slap on the hand sentence like 8 years. I hope they stomp him from one end of the wing to the other.

Sharon

This is heart breaking. No precious child should have to endure this, and lose their life in the end. Sweet little angel ... I want to extend my sincerest condolences to his Mommy, Daddy and all who knew and loved him at this incredibly unthinkable loss. Rest in peace, sweet baby. <3

rcytrcy01@yahoo.com

Extremely heartbreaking! It's not supposed to be this way!

shanta588

I really don't like how everybody is blaming the mom I'm pretty sure if she knew he was going to hurt her son then she wouldn't have brung him around there are plenty of step dads who don't abuse kids and evwn though I hate to bring then up but bruce kim k step dad so not all step dads are bad and not to blame AP either but was he either apart of the child's life because he only talks about one son but both parents should've been thorough about who to bring around their kids R.I.P to him he didn't deserve it.

cluesarethere

RiP. Condolences to the family..

HatersGonnaHate

It takes a special kind of sicko to harm a child, and a monster to murder one. I hope that beast (I refuse to call him a human) dies 1,000 deaths in jail.

Umm ok...

Had he ever spent any time at all with this child ever? I have no respect for Adrian Peterson any longer...he's publically accepting condolences for a child he never publically admitted was his until today. The boyfriend should rot in jail but the mother & father are at the very least, completely incompetent & neglectful. The mom, picked the boyfriend and decided to leave her baby in hos care. And when's the last time Adrian looked in on any situation surrounding this son he told nobody about?? So sad. So very wrong.