Josh Marks 911 Call

'There's a Dead Body In the Alley'

11/1/2013 6:18 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

110113_josh_marks_911_launch_v2
The woman who called 911 to report the death of "MasterChef" contestant Josh Marks was extremely calm -- considering she just learned there was a dead body in the alley.

TMZ obtained a recording of the 911 call placed after Marks shot himself in an alley in Chicago on October 11.

The woman who calls for help says ANOTHER woman had just rang her doorbell and informed her that she had just discovered a dead body, but she was too afraid to call police.

But the caller, with nerves of steel, calmly explains the situation to the 911 dispatcher -- who sends responders to the scene.

When cops arrived ... they discovered the body was the 7'2" chef -- who shot himself in the head after learning he was suffering from schizophrenia.

Marks was 26.

080513-josh-marks-launch-v2-1

Anonymous

Not everyone freaks out about things. I think there are a lot of people, who would be calm in the same situation, and even worse ones.

msteve

This is so sad. America has a problem with how to help people with mental health problems. This guy and others like him need help. Hopefully his family can do something positive and raise awareness through this situation and start lobbying our congressmen and senators for better mental health care. My heart goes out to them. Loss of a loved one is hard and not something you ever get over.

tgrfan42069

not everyone freaks out.there are many who know that dead bodies can not hurt them

alex

Mental illness is a cruel and scary disease. How sad this man felt no hope and chose death. It says something about this horrid disease. My sympathies to all and their families who live with mental illness every day.

Jandra902

Jandra902

Thee idea that mental illness is the end of someone's life as they knew it before there diagnosis is such a failure. More needs to be done at the time of discovery to help the patients out in understanding that this doesn't have to be the end. God love him, He really did seem like a great guy. R.I.P Josh.

Sonja

This story is so sad, does the stranger calmly calling 911 really add anything to this? Leave it alone, if you want to do stories on him how about some that advocate for better understanding and treatment for mental illnesses and suicide. Jesus TMZ

Not So Mad Hatter

R.I.P. Josh Marks

Toilethead

Please stop talking about this. It's a very private matter for his family, not gossip material.

Kelly

Tall.

Ryuga the Dragon Emperor

Gordan Ramsey made him go crazy.

SLemon

What a waste. RIP

lilly

I had no idea he was ever engaged! :( I found lots of pics of his gf here http://dailyentertainmentnews.com/tv/neidra-williams-masterchef-finalist-josh-marks-girlfriend-fiance/

Courtney

I live in Chicago and I read in our local newspaper that Josh had a psychiatric episode here during the summer and was hospitalized. I wonder why he was released without some sort of safety plan. This is such a tragedy because I remember watching him last summer on Master Chef. I feel sorry that he was in so much pain that he felt that suicide was his only release.

Azone

I routed for Josh on masterchef. He seemed like a gentle giant. He was talented, yet somehow was not able to expand beyond the show. There are so many questions. It is so sad. I empathize with his family. My dad is a psychiatrist. When he told my grandpa, he was going into psychiatry, my grandpa cried and told him he was ashamed of his decision. There was a much worse stigma associated with mental health then. Is it better? No not really. When people tell me that my father is not a "real doctor", I am disgusted. He was going to be a brain surgeon, but was so intrigued by the field because of the chemistry aspect of it. There is a grave misunderstanding with psychiatry for the people who suffer from it and those who try to help them. I applaud all the professionals in mental health. From the doctors, the social workers, the nurses, the assistants, to the secretaries, and their patients. One last note to all my friends in high school he was analyzing you while rubbing his chin.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments