Tom Cruise

My Job's As Hard As

Fighting in Afghanistan

11/11/2013 6:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1108-tom-cruise-getty
update_bar
Cruise's lawyer, Bert Fields, says the notion that Tom compares his acting to fighting a war is a distortion, pointing to a section in the deposition -- not part of the deposition that was publicly released -- in which Tom is asked, "Do you believe the situations [being in a movie and fighting a war in Afghanistan] are the same?"  Tom replies, "Oh come on."  Fields says that clearly means "of course not."

For the record, here's Tom's quote, responding to the opposing lawyer in the deposition:

Lawyer:  "Now, your counsel has publicly equated your absence from Suri for these extended periods of time as being analogous to someone fighting in Afghanistan.  Are you aware of that?"

Cruise:  "I didn't hear the Afghanistan, but that's what it feels like, and certainly on this last movie, it was brutal.  It was brutal."

gray-bar-update
Tom Cruise not only thinks he trains harder than Olympic athletes, he believes his job as a professional actor is as grueling as fighting the war in Afghanistan -- this according to legal docs obtained by TMZ.

As we reported, Cruise recently sat for a deposition in his $50 million libel suit against a magazine publisher that claimed he abandoned daughter Suri -- and his quotes are GOLD.

First, the Middle East -- Tom says his location shoots are just like serving a tour in Afghanistan, "That's what it feels like. And certainly on this last movie, it was brutal. It was brutal."
 1108_afghanistan_war_footerAs for his physical training, Tom said, "There is difficult physical stamina and preparation. Sometimes I've spent months, a year, and sometimes two years preparing for a single film." But the kicker, he adds, "A sprinter for the Olympics, they only have to run two races a day. When I'm shooting, I could potentially have to run 30, 40 races a day, day after day."

1108_olympic_action_footerBut it's not all grenades and triathlons  ... Tom says he's only flown commercial ONCE in the last 4 years ... and that was because he had no choice.

And there's this ... Tom says the skills he's picked up along the way have provided shortcuts in his relationship with Suri.  For example, he says it's not always necessary for him to be physically around Suri, because he can tell her vivid stories on the phone that come to life.  Tom says, "I've gotten very good at [talking on the phone]. I've gotten very good at it. I tell wonderful stories and they like hearing it."

Spike

Hey Tom…. As someone who served in Afghanistan and OUTSIDE the wire. You have no idea what you are talking about. Come have a talk with a few of us and we can inform you how easy your job really is. Perhaps if you came out of the Ivory Tower and came to talk to us like many of your peers (even some who oppose the war) than you might understand the stupidity of your statement. I do not recall you having survived IED attacks in any of your movies… I mean REAL IED attacks… Moron!

sandie

send him over t here to fight so he'll have a first hand comparision. maybe he can end this "war". he's so impressive. LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

debjesic@gmail.com

Tom,,calm down!

abguido

Just another stupid comment from a pretentious prick who thinks everyone cares what he thinks. Wonder how the public would've responded if all the news outlets heard this. And on Veteran's Day Weekend!!!!!!!

He should be ashamed. And TMZ should be going to ALL NEWS outlets and shouting this from the rooftops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

semperfimom

I cant come up with a name bad enough for this s***bag. Monday is Verteran's Day....maybe he needs to make a public appololgy to the troops, past and present, for his very poor choice in comparison to his making films in the safety of make believe and fantasy, and the very real reality of what our troops experience each and every day in Afgahnistan and anywhere else they may be. A heartfelt appology, not one written out by his damage control team. Our troops are the REAL HEROS, they are the ones putting their lives on the line for their country. Thank you Veterans for all you've done, for all you and your families have sacrificed. We love you, you're in our thoughts and prayers, and may we never forget what a true Hero is. They dont wear capes and masks, they wear combat boots and tags. Happy Veteran's Day!

Bear King of the Dead Thread Heads (and he means it)

I was in Stan, Tommy Boy......not fun. You have a cushy life, pal....stick that in your fart sack.

KT

Tom Cruise is a joke, how dare he say that. My husband just came back from his 8th deployment. Tom Cruise would crap his pants if he had to be deployed.

Wildbill46

Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha...! Here's a news flash for this stupid civilian Hollywood piece of trash. Quitting his Devil-worshiping, Hubbard tail-kissing scientology addiction is tougher than fighting in Afghanistan, Iraq, and Vietnam, and Korea all put together!

Backwoods Bill

Tom Cruise truly lives in la la land. Trains harder than an Olympic athlete? His job is as hard as fighting in Afghanistan? I seriously doubt either claim. I can only relate to the second claim, as a Vietnam vet, and from what I know about Olympic athletes training regimes I cannot possibly see how Mr. Cruise can train that hard. For one thing, he's too f*&^%ng old to sustain that level of training. As for combat. he hasn't a clue. Mr. Cruise, please go away and keep your clueless trap shut!

Dallas Martin

Will someone please transport Mr Cruise to Afghanistan and let him act his way out.

darlene

tom , why don't you ask my daughter, my baby girl if she would rather pretend to be a soldier and get paid 50 million freakin dollars instead of joining the real army, getting paid below the poverty level, gets ****ty insurance, and has to pay for her college education to become a nurse, all while getting hit with a REAL IED!!!!!!!!!!! you tell me which is more traumatic. really, I don't even understand how you could belittle all of our soldiers, past, present, and future. you, my friend, have a stunt double. these brave men and woman do not. THINK ABOUT THAT!!

Lisa

Is that how Hollywood people think?

Minh Lam

Tom, what is your life expectancy at your filming location? According to my dad, a highly decorated Airborne officer of the Vietnam War, his life expectancy in combat was 16 minutes.

Brian

What a putz! I have not liked Tom Cruise since "The Last Samurai" and I hated his character who was basically the American Taliban in Japan.

Steven

Yeah, another marky mark 9/11 hero. He probably could have taken over the plane, killed all the high jackers and landed it safely. Tom, e.g. blue bloods, you should have stayed in the west. The show is pretty bad e.g. that brunette I think she is your daughter character, apologies for the bad grammar but the show just does not make it, it's no jesse stone or mangum. Very sappy soap opera in prime time due to your star power. Close it out. I'm sure the coward/liar Barak Obamer would agree.

Previous 15 Comments | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments