Tom Cruise

My Job's As Hard As

Fighting in Afghanistan

11/11/2013 6:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1108-tom-cruise-getty
update_bar
Cruise's lawyer, Bert Fields, says the notion that Tom compares his acting to fighting a war is a distortion, pointing to a section in the deposition -- not part of the deposition that was publicly released -- in which Tom is asked, "Do you believe the situations [being in a movie and fighting a war in Afghanistan] are the same?"  Tom replies, "Oh come on."  Fields says that clearly means "of course not."

For the record, here's Tom's quote, responding to the opposing lawyer in the deposition:

Lawyer:  "Now, your counsel has publicly equated your absence from Suri for these extended periods of time as being analogous to someone fighting in Afghanistan.  Are you aware of that?"

Cruise:  "I didn't hear the Afghanistan, but that's what it feels like, and certainly on this last movie, it was brutal.  It was brutal."

gray-bar-update
Tom Cruise not only thinks he trains harder than Olympic athletes, he believes his job as a professional actor is as grueling as fighting the war in Afghanistan -- this according to legal docs obtained by TMZ.

As we reported, Cruise recently sat for a deposition in his $50 million libel suit against a magazine publisher that claimed he abandoned daughter Suri -- and his quotes are GOLD.

First, the Middle East -- Tom says his location shoots are just like serving a tour in Afghanistan, "That's what it feels like. And certainly on this last movie, it was brutal. It was brutal."
 1108_afghanistan_war_footerAs for his physical training, Tom said, "There is difficult physical stamina and preparation. Sometimes I've spent months, a year, and sometimes two years preparing for a single film." But the kicker, he adds, "A sprinter for the Olympics, they only have to run two races a day. When I'm shooting, I could potentially have to run 30, 40 races a day, day after day."

1108_olympic_action_footerBut it's not all grenades and triathlons  ... Tom says he's only flown commercial ONCE in the last 4 years ... and that was because he had no choice.

And there's this ... Tom says the skills he's picked up along the way have provided shortcuts in his relationship with Suri.  For example, he says it's not always necessary for him to be physically around Suri, because he can tell her vivid stories on the phone that come to life.  Tom says, "I've gotten very good at [talking on the phone]. I've gotten very good at it. I tell wonderful stories and they like hearing it."

worldgonemad

I've scrolled through these comments in utter disbelief at all that anger people have got to express toward a Hollywood actor for a comment he made. I'm not from the US but I hear every day Americans going on and on about their freedoms......freedom of speach, freedom of expression.....

When someone wants to wear the swastika or say lots of hateful things about government, religion etc, people will always hide behind "freedom of speech"..... so how is Tom Cruise any different? Is he not an American citizen?

If you take the time to go on snopes website you will find that those comments TMZ are reporting are taken very out of context. Context is absolutely hugely important when reporting and giving quotes. TMZ took those quotes from a third hand source, without the original deposition as basis, and just twisted them beyond all recognition.

Tom Cruise is not my type of actor, but after all the ridiculous hate-filled comments on here I feel I should point out the man is a working single parent after all... regardless of your personal opinion. He was defending his reasons why he could not always see his daughter due to scheduling difficulties with him away on foreign shoots. I know he is well paid, but actors work very hard. Most of us ordinary folk are of the illusion that actors are fair game for all our hatred, judgements and negativity. We lash out at them on a regular basis. Some people have an obsession with it. But they've lost perspective. The man may simply be trying to defend the hours he works as a possible reason he may not get to see Suri on a regular basis. Katie's lawyers will throw all sorts of muck to discredit him as a man and a father. But who are we in the public to judge him as a father? Celebrities say things out of turn all the time. Sometimes they get it wrong. But for some people here they took it as a disrespect to the hard working dedicated soldiers in Afghanastan.... I just think this world is getting more and more crazy.... more fear, hatred, intolerance than ever... people need to calm down. Where i'm from we concentrate on the reality of every day life. Wasting our energy worrying about what celebrities do or say is a fruitless exercise. It achieves nothing.

I'd rather concentrate my anger toward the governments and regimes in places like Afghanastan, the poverty and injustice there, but even more so on our own doorstep.... inadequate healthcare, unemployment, lack of services etc. I'd like to sum up by asking people to think about what they are saying. Do we have all the facts? what are we basing our opinions on? how accurate is the story etc?..... rant over. peace & health to all :)

TrueHeros

Mr.Cruise chooses to insult the people who watch his movies and make him successful. Let's see how successful you are after we boycott your movies! It gets sickening that all these Hollywood idiots think they are owed respect when they continue to insult us. They need a good dose of real life! Not imaginary BS. Let's see how your acting ability is when real bullets are being fired at you instead of blanks!

MystenaMarina

I am not a fan of Tom Cruise, but that is NOT what he said. He said that his time away from his daughter while filming was similar to that of a solider in Afghanistan. He never compared acting to being a solider.

SICKOFITALL

TMZ, you are so full of ****.

Raleighwood

Tough guy.

gail gregoriades

Grow up Cruise. You live in a make believe world, pretending to be what you are not - and getting paid more than you are worth for it

Lori

EVERY time he opens his mouth he just proves what a JACKASS he is!!

Merlynanys

Cruise is a moron. with severe mental issues. when he filmed Top Gun, he went around claiming he was the Secretary of the Navy and demanded that military personnel salute him. Personally I think he's on drugs

Nobody Special

No Sweat Tom,

All those actors are shooting Blanks, not Real Bullets so you will never need to worry about Taking One For The Team.

There is not one person alive who would not work just as hard for the money you make.

mary

well they werent shooting bullets,trying to blow you up, trying to kill you by any means possible. this is a stupid statement made by an actor who lives in fictional world.

justbecause712

You truly are an who maniac. I wonder if you truly believe what you said. If you do, you really are a tool. You owe a huge apology to the men and women who serve and have served our country. You ungrateful douche.

Casey

That SOB done lost his MIND!!!

kris

Says the 5'6" little freaky man....I like to play dress up like a big tough man and it's for realz.....insert eye roll.

B

I mostly really trust TMZ to report the most accurate versions of some celebrity stories, but after reading the deposition for myself, I'm a little disappointed. I still think Tom Cruise is the chief engineer of the Crazy Train, but his lawyers were the ones that likened his time away for movies to serving overseas in Afghanistan. It sounds more like he was referring to the time away from home and the climate more than anything. And now CNN is running stories that TMZ mis-reported, which they almost never bother with. Maybe posting the excerpt from the deposition and letting people decided for themselves instead of incorrectly attributing the origin of the Afghanistan reference as coming from Tom instead of his lawyer would be a little more fair.

Again, I still think Tom Cruise is totally nuts. I also still mostly trust TMZ, but I really feel like this is a little out of context.

Athina

Tiny Tom crying about his terrible lot in life having to prepare for a movie....awww....crying all the way to the bank with his millions to give him comfort. Those soldiers in Afghanistan may not even have a job to come back to, and this douche is whining and complaining....

Previous 15 Comments | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments