Tom Cruise

My Job's As Hard As

Fighting in Afghanistan

11/11/2013 6:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1108-tom-cruise-getty
update_bar
Cruise's lawyer, Bert Fields, says the notion that Tom compares his acting to fighting a war is a distortion, pointing to a section in the deposition -- not part of the deposition that was publicly released -- in which Tom is asked, "Do you believe the situations [being in a movie and fighting a war in Afghanistan] are the same?"  Tom replies, "Oh come on."  Fields says that clearly means "of course not."

For the record, here's Tom's quote, responding to the opposing lawyer in the deposition:

Lawyer:  "Now, your counsel has publicly equated your absence from Suri for these extended periods of time as being analogous to someone fighting in Afghanistan.  Are you aware of that?"

Cruise:  "I didn't hear the Afghanistan, but that's what it feels like, and certainly on this last movie, it was brutal.  It was brutal."

gray-bar-update
Tom Cruise not only thinks he trains harder than Olympic athletes, he believes his job as a professional actor is as grueling as fighting the war in Afghanistan -- this according to legal docs obtained by TMZ.

As we reported, Cruise recently sat for a deposition in his $50 million libel suit against a magazine publisher that claimed he abandoned daughter Suri -- and his quotes are GOLD.

First, the Middle East -- Tom says his location shoots are just like serving a tour in Afghanistan, "That's what it feels like. And certainly on this last movie, it was brutal. It was brutal."
 1108_afghanistan_war_footerAs for his physical training, Tom said, "There is difficult physical stamina and preparation. Sometimes I've spent months, a year, and sometimes two years preparing for a single film." But the kicker, he adds, "A sprinter for the Olympics, they only have to run two races a day. When I'm shooting, I could potentially have to run 30, 40 races a day, day after day."

1108_olympic_action_footerBut it's not all grenades and triathlons  ... Tom says he's only flown commercial ONCE in the last 4 years ... and that was because he had no choice.

And there's this ... Tom says the skills he's picked up along the way have provided shortcuts in his relationship with Suri.  For example, he says it's not always necessary for him to be physically around Suri, because he can tell her vivid stories on the phone that come to life.  Tom says, "I've gotten very good at [talking on the phone]. I've gotten very good at it. I tell wonderful stories and they like hearing it."

B

I mostly really trust TMZ to report the most accurate versions of some celebrity stories, but after reading the deposition for myself, I'm a little disappointed. I still think Tom Cruise is the chief engineer of the Crazy Train, but his lawyers were the ones that likened his time away for movies to serving overseas in Afghanistan. It sounds more like he was referring to the time away from home and the climate more than anything. And now CNN is running stories that TMZ mis-reported, which they almost never bother with. Maybe posting the excerpt from the deposition and letting people decided for themselves instead of incorrectly attributing the origin of the Afghanistan reference as coming from Tom instead of his lawyer would be a little more fair.

Again, I still think Tom Cruise is totally nuts. I also still mostly trust TMZ, but I really feel like this is a little out of context.

Athina

Tiny Tom crying about his terrible lot in life having to prepare for a movie....awww....crying all the way to the bank with his millions to give him comfort. Those soldiers in Afghanistan may not even have a job to come back to, and this douche is whining and complaining....

Aaron

TMZ clearly took Tom's comments out of context. But. It worked. Almost 800 responses. More Views. More $$. Us, the sheep, feed the machine. Tom was comparing the time away from his daughter, similar to being in the service. And if he is overseas, then being away, is being away and I agree it's not easy - Danger or not, being away from your child sucks. What the excerpts leave out is the part where Tom was asked the question point blank 'do you believe the situations (being in a movie and fighting a war in Afghanistan) are the same? and his immediate response was 'oh come on!' Meaning - of course no. Next time you are deposed, let me know if leaving a word or two out makes a difference ;)

RStanz

I hate Tom Cruise as much as the next guy but this is NOT what he said. TMZ has totally twisted what happened into BS. The Lawyer made the comparison to Afghanistan which Cruise clearly indicates is a ridiculous comparison. Wow. Common TMZ I know you're not the New York Times but at least acknowledge the lies you've spewed here

misspriss

I'm sure he really has to worry about having his head lobbed off with a sword by the Taliban, or his limbs blown off by concealed bombs in his makeup trailer. What a profoundly disturbed ass he is.

Ladyva

IS this what scientology teaching their member ?? to be a DELUSIONAL ******* !!!

eport58

This is highly offensive to all the men and women that serve in the military. What an egotistical a**hole. Another celebrity on my sh**list. Won't be going to any of his movies. Plus what he gets paid per hour, our military doesn't make that in a year. So disgusted by his comments!!!

ButtFeedWorld

Dear TMZ, I think you are a very entertaining site, but I have to highlight an inaccuracy. Afghanistan is not in the Middle East. It is located in Asia. Kind Regards

usmc1

I wanna see that son of a b**** Tom Cruise do the same **** our troops to I find it highly offensive

joecrabs

Because, you know, screaming show me the money 20 times until you get it right is exactly like like being away from your family for a year, being shot at, spit on, eating **** for food, having no privacy, constantly trying to keep sand out of your rifle because if you don't, you could actually need it and it not fire and you get KILLED!! Tom Cruise SUCKS!!

cruiz2

Expect PR intervention tomorrow! Guy needs to shut his multi-million Hollywood trap!

Davis

What an embarrassment this loser is to the whole country. I never paid money to see any of his ignorant movies and suggest that no one else does either. Nothing to see but, some delusional moron who thinks he's tough enough to be a soldier. Do everyone a favor and kill yourself already loser.

Andrew

reporting FAIL...c'mon TMZ...love u guys but you F'd up bigtime on this one. http://thelead.blogs.cnn.com/2013/11/09/tom-cruise-did-not-make-widely-reported-claim-that-acting-is-as-tough-as-combat/?hpt=hp_t2

Izy

You perople who r defeding this punk and downing TMZ should remember that behind every rumor the is some fact or we wouldn't be discussing it. Just a a normal (what ever that is) person never asks themseleves if they are alcoholic..... Harvey get with me on this one.... Richizy@hotmail.com

Izy

What the hell is this Man?? saying Cruise is officially out of his mind!!! How does he know what people like hearing?? You can see by these quotes that he is completly out os touch with realitiy
I mean I have trouble believing this clown could even say this stuff!! I move to boycotte anything this punk is involved in. Just read this again and try to tell yourselfs this real. I would like to knock the punk out!! Anytime anywhere, But I wouldn't lower myself to his biatch ass standards. Sorry for the rough speak but I couldn't take anymore. Thanks Rich. If you agree let me know richizy@hotmail.com And Tom if you see this I darn you to write me. LOL

Previous 15 Comments | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments