« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

NFL Linebacker

Killed in 100 MPH Car Crash

1 Other Driver Dies, Another Hospitalized

11/18/2013 4:01 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1118_thomas-howard_getty
Thomas Howard – an NFL linebacker who was cut by the Falcons last week – killed himself and another person this morning when he slammed into a big rig truck at more than 100MPH ... officials say.

Witnesses told the CHP ... Howard -- a 2nd round pick in the 2006 NFL Draft -- was blazing down a highway in Oakland, CA when he lost control of his BMW 750Li and smashed into the back of a semi.

Howard's car went airborne and flew across the center median -- and eventually collided with a Chevy Monte Carlo AND a Honda CR-V.

The collision was bad, both Howard and the driver of the Honda -- a 55-year-old man -- died at the scene.

The driver of the Chevy was transported to a nearby hospital. The condition of the semi driver is unknown.

30-year-old Howard was drafted by the Oakland Raiders and blossomed into a star. He also played for the Bengals and most recently the Falcons. He was cut by ATL on November 12.

Story developing ...

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Dee0709

If you're gonna be a dumbass, do it where you kill yourself and not take anyone out with you. *******.

jerry

Selfish prick

Kat

What an a**hole

chris

WHAT A COWARD WAY TO GO

Suzi

That sucks! He wrecked a really nice car. :/

alamedared

I drive where this POS decided to take himself out. What a coward. Why didn't he man up and use a gun instead of a car? He could killed anyone from my family-I live there

Barbara Rojas

I don't follow football so I am not familiar with this man. But it saddens me that people think that suicide is the answer to personal troubles. Oftentimes, the one that commits suicide takes the lives of others with them. Nothing going on in your life should result in someone taking their own life or the life of another. I don't know the full story behind this man and it is a tragedy no matter what. So many people are affected by his decision that cost him his life and the life of another person. I hope the other person survives this horrific incident. If Mr. Thomas had indeed chose to commit suicide I am sure he did not intend for anyone else to be involved. He, like other suicide victims just don't think this idea through. They think it solves their problems but they fail to realize what emotional turmoil family and friends go through with the grieving process, that sadly, can take years to get through.

J

Really tmz.. It seems presumptuous to say it was suicide. Seems he was driving a BMW too fast and lost control. Commuting suicide would be done by running into a wall not causing a car to be air borne. Hard to make a car air born on purpose .. I will wait to hear the cause of death from a real source. Sounds like a bad accident n this guy was having bad luck all around.. Suicide sells stories smh

lili

Rest in peace to both of them :(

Brandon

You guys are stupid this wasn't suicide he was driving wrecklessly like an idiot with money does and obviously lost control of the vehicle if it was suicide he would have shot himself or drove into a wall not taken innocent lives of others

Joe

If you want to drive at excessive speeds go do so where you will injure - mame - off yourself --- not others. My sympathies to the INNOCENT peoples' families

Miva

Fabwags have Howard's possible girlfriend http://fabwags.com/alli-linzie-nfl-linebacker-thomas-howardsgirlfriend/

JRE

Am I the only one who didn't read this as them stating he committed suicide. They're merly saying he caused his own death, along with the other driver.

OmegaOrion30

So sad. I feel for both involved. But my mind can't get around the fact as to why. From my understanding, Howard didn't have the devil-may-care attitude or behavior to act the reckless. What triggered this? Drugs, alcohol? People speed all the time but not all at 100-110mph. Something does not sit right at all. And now their are two people dead. One an innocent victim. What happened. This was not just reckless driving. Howard didn't fit the profile. Something manifested within him to cause this. My condolences go out to BOTH families as they both are now grieving. Sad day indeed.

M