Tommy Chong

'Wolf of Wall Street'

Was My Idea!!!

11/29/2013 5:50 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

112913_tommy_chong_launch_v3
Leonardo DiCaprio owes his latest paycheck to Tommy Chong, who tells TMZ, the new "Wolf of Wall Street" movie never would have happened if not for him ... and he might be right.

Chong was out in L.A. yesterday when we asked about the time he spent in the clink with Jordan Belfort, the criminal stock market genius who the movie "Wolf of Wall Street" is based on.

FYI, Chong was sentenced to 9 months in prison in 2003 for selling bongs online.

Chong says he was working on a book at the time -- it was 2004 by then -- and he encouraged Belfort to write one himself ... so Belfort did ... and that book eventually became the bestseller "Wolf of Wall Street."

Years later ... that book is now a film. We're no math geniuses, but we're pretty sure that means Chong deserves some royalty money. Check the clip. Funny story.

Canadasux

Not his paycheck! But, maybe a heartfelt thank-you; and; if LD is feeling really generous maybe lunch, or dinner, in him.

awards

Dave's not here, eh?

Stiletto

Actually, when I was 11 (back in 1970) we had to write a fictional story for class. I wrote a story called "Wolf of Wall Street" about a werewolf working as a stock broker on Wall Street in order to get rich and fund his research for a cure. Maybe I can sue?

Lauri

I was at a meeting where Belfort was a speaker and he told the story about how he shared a cell with Chong. I'm sure Tommy Chong was just kidding about wanting a piece of the movie. Belfort had quite a life before he decided to go the straight and narrow.

Yurra Knutz

That's nothing... Windows 7 was my idea... I deserve some innovation money... DAGNABBIT!

Heilige Bimbam

Belfort wrote a book, and Chong his cell mate says he encouraged him? So what? Chong is not entitled to anything, not a cent.

Bill C.

In 2014, someone should make a movie about something. I will now sit back and wait for the royalty checks to roll in.

The Zombie

He's starting to look like Jerry.

Dave

Usually when someone is talking to me, and I want to be a smartass, I say, "You should write a book about it."

bart

The guy should pay up.

JAG

Wait, so I can get a royalty check because I tell a guy to write a book? When did slavery become legal again?