Original 'Sound of Music' Actress

Live Special Was 'Painful to Watch'

12/6/2013 7:57 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1206-kym-karath2
Gretl Von Trapp from the original "The Sound of Music" movie was left "mystified and disappointed" after last night's live remake on NBC ... and says Carrie Underwood TOTALLY BOMBED!!

Gretl a.k.a. Kym Karath met up with former co-star Charmian Carr (Liesl Von Trapp) to watch the special last night ... but their excitement deflated once "Sound" started.

1206-subasset-charmian-carr
During the special Kym tweeted, "Mystified & disappointed so far by SOM special. So far only happy with Stephen Moyer" ... then followed up by saying, "Must admit some scenes are actually painful to watch."

That's when Karath kicked things up a notch by roasting Underwood's performance adding, "Love Carrie Underwood but this role is just not right for her. She is lovely her voice is beautiful but acting is wrong."

For what it's worth ... the special brought in HUGE ratings for NBC with 18.5 million viewers.

sophiastormy

it was horrid. Carrie not an actress. painful, i had it dvr and fast forward the thing to watch parts. vomit.

Deb

Has been trying to get her name out one last time off the work of Carrie. Underwood kicked butt.

Chris

That old bags claim to acting fame, was three episodes of "Family Affair" in 1966. And she wants to rag on someone else's acting chops. She was in the Movie and not the LIVE Broadway show. But at least she got her name in print in this century.

Sips

It was terrible flat out they say 18.5 million people watched it but how many turned it off after the first ten minutes

Areader

As much as I am not a fan of Carrie Underwood...I call sour grapes on Kym Karath and all the Von Trapps!

ceebee505

I thought she was very good. The sound of Music was a favorite when i was a kid.

Just Jay

Never saw the original and no plans to see the current one. Story sounds a little square for me and on today's world.

deedee

I enjoyed it. And I don't even like musicals. It was a special on TV for heaven sake. Wasn't meant to out do the original movie. Relax everyone things will be fine.

Gen

The only reason it brought in "huge ratings" is because people today have zero ability to recognize talent.

I couldn't even finish that clip. She was wincing and squeezing her face to get the notes out and could not hide her glee over just barely doing it. It was embarrassing to watch. Her clenched throat twangy sound is horrific in this format....as if it wasn't bad enough to begin with.

TMZCrazy

Kym Karath was such a cutie in her day, co-starring in films with Doris Day and the like. But her comments on the Sound of Music weren't so cute, and I am not so sure she should have opened her mouth on this one. I thought people in show biz stuck together. Would Kym had made these same comments to any of the cast members to their face? Probably not. I haven't watched the special yet, nor do I think much of Carrie Underwood. But I'm against the ugliness in the world today and I think famous people need to keep in mind that they can kill their own fans off just by opening their mouth. Check out Cher' s ranting and raving on her Twitter account. Is it really necessary??

mugadoon

I love Carrie Underwood, but I do not like her in this role. Her voice is all wrong for the part. And I wish, wish, wish that she would get over the Christina Aguilera-esque oversinging everything phase. They both had beautiful, natural voices, and are now going out of their way trying to sound more powerful, which only makes their voices sound forced.

Cathy

I loved every minute of it! I thought Carrie Underwood did great!

mozilla

Carrie Underwood is a singer, an amazing singer at that, she is not an actress. The whole thing was a bit bland for me except for Carrie's voice. I give her credit for taking on the challenge. Kudos to Carrie~

WinnieV

Yeah like I care what some broad named KYM has to say about anything. Get over it girlie you had your flash and not its passed.

Kym and CharmIan sound like a bathroom tissue. They should have stuck to Gretl and Liesl :P

tmzcommenter

Dear TMZ,

Total number of viewers aren't important; the demo is. TVBytheNumbers says the 18-49 was 4.6