Original 'Sound of Music' Actress

Live Special Was 'Painful to Watch'

12/6/2013 7:57 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1206-kym-karath2
Gretl Von Trapp from the original "The Sound of Music" movie was left "mystified and disappointed" after last night's live remake on NBC ... and says Carrie Underwood TOTALLY BOMBED!!

Gretl a.k.a. Kym Karath met up with former co-star Charmian Carr (Liesl Von Trapp) to watch the special last night ... but their excitement deflated once "Sound" started.

1206-subasset-charmian-carr
During the special Kym tweeted, "Mystified & disappointed so far by SOM special. So far only happy with Stephen Moyer" ... then followed up by saying, "Must admit some scenes are actually painful to watch."

That's when Karath kicked things up a notch by roasting Underwood's performance adding, "Love Carrie Underwood but this role is just not right for her. She is lovely her voice is beautiful but acting is wrong."

For what it's worth ... the special brought in HUGE ratings for NBC with 18.5 million viewers.

ELC

I wasn't home to see it so I can't actually give an opinion. However, I don't understand the vicious blogs below all because the original actress wasn't happy with the remake. You are no longer allowed to give your opinion unless its the same opinion as others?My goodness, there is definitely way too much anger out there.

MCK

The acting was not top notch, I will admit. Then again, it was LIVE tv. I have a hard time siding with someone who likely took many, many takes for each and every scene, and had each scene edited. When you have a team of people making it that easy for you, you have no right to judge someone who is doing it live and doesn't have that luxury.

lett196950

I really enjoyed it. No it was not the movie i grew up on and my sister and i knew every word to every song but for a live make over it was good. Had went to the doctors and was sent home on a hart monitor and it really made me feel good. Thank you NBC and cast.

judy wassiliew

I liked it......Go away all u HATERS !!!!!!

Flox

Not sure what Gretl's problem with it was, but I totally loved the show last night. I was really enchanted by everything about it. I sang along to every song. I particularly liked the casting of Stephen, Carrie, and the head mother.

Toomz

I love Carrie Underwood but I totally agree...her acting was so flat and emotionless. This is why stage acting is so much more challenging...you have to really be in the character to connect with your audience. Too bad it wasn't as good as hoped for, I was rooting for her.

Fabienne

I only saw the commercial. Carrie's body language and smirks made it look like it was beneath her. Wish they would of gotten someone who would have taken it seriously. JMO

joy

I didnt watch. But 18.5mil did!

Machelle

Carrie Underwood has a very nice voice but this was not for her. If you're a CU fan you'll say it was perfect. If you're a honest CU fan, you'll admit it was mediocre.

Whatever

TF? This beyotch and her friend dare question Carrie's acting ability? You can't be serious, TMZ. Their current acting credentials are...? Nothing. Bitter Sound of Music grapes is really pathetic. Carrie pulled off something special and did a killer job and rises to greater super stardom. Stop whining, one-role child actress.

B4-I-FU-RU-18?

I'd do Her, 8 ways till Pesach. The one, on the right of course.

She's baaaack

Sorry babe, I don't know if you're getting your chops in these days but that was the same adaptation on the Broadway stage. It was not a redo of the movie and was never meant to be. Underwood isn't stellar Broadway material but she was pretty damn impressive for a country singer doing live TV. For the record, Julie Andrews offered personal encouragement to Carrie Underwood in playing the role. It's entertainment baby, it ain't YOUR SHOW.

RagsTTiger

A Superlative performance. This provided a mind flash, back 50+ years ago, withe TV production of Peter Pan, with Mary Martin and Cyril Richard.

Saba

As a actress I got to give the cast props I can't imagine having to get up on stage and do a live special.

CL

It was awesome! The only part I thought was ridiculous was when they had spoken acting and you would hear ridiculous music in the background that over powered their voices. I was able to look way beyond Carrie Underwood and AI and just see a fabulous songstress and actress - kudos. Don't listen to some old hens. Maybe they are just jealous their olds butts weren't in the movie ... or there in person :-)