Original 'Sound of Music' Actress

Live Special Was 'Painful to Watch'

12/6/2013 7:57 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1206-kym-karath2
Gretl Von Trapp from the original "The Sound of Music" movie was left "mystified and disappointed" after last night's live remake on NBC ... and says Carrie Underwood TOTALLY BOMBED!!

Gretl a.k.a. Kym Karath met up with former co-star Charmian Carr (Liesl Von Trapp) to watch the special last night ... but their excitement deflated once "Sound" started.

1206-subasset-charmian-carr
During the special Kym tweeted, "Mystified & disappointed so far by SOM special. So far only happy with Stephen Moyer" ... then followed up by saying, "Must admit some scenes are actually painful to watch."

That's when Karath kicked things up a notch by roasting Underwood's performance adding, "Love Carrie Underwood but this role is just not right for her. She is lovely her voice is beautiful but acting is wrong."

For what it's worth ... the special brought in HUGE ratings for NBC with 18.5 million viewers.

Jrz JLo

I was completely disappointed last night. I didn't base it on "Carrie's a great person, WTF, I just based it on performance and was not a fan.

Mudman

I had to turn that **** off

Billy

I gotta agree with Kym Karath. Carrie Underwood had the voice to do the songs, but her acting; she wasn't right for the role. But you know what? It could have been much worse with Rihanna or Katy Perry in the role. Carrie acquitted herself nicely; I'll cut her some slack.

Sammy

I think she maybe involved with some work in Australia these days. www.hourz.com.au

Angel in the house

I agree .. It was almost painful to watch. I love the original movie. No remake will do the original justice. None can ever replace the original ever. Christopher Plummer and Julie Andrews are treasures and their acting has always been amazing. The child actors in the original we're so special and talented too. I love Carrie and she has a beautiful voice and can sing her heart out but she needs to work on the acting skills.

lts

Perhaps the dried up hag...er I mean Ms. Karath thinks she should have been invited to join the production. I can think of no other reason for her to throw shade. While CU is definitely not an award winning actress, the production was very entertaining IMO, and I enjoyed it very much! Move along Gretl, nothing to see here.

TechFrog

I have to agree. Carrie Underwood is an incredible singer, but she really can't act. I simply had to turn it off after only about 15 minutes. ( I still love you Carrie )

Alexandra

Knowing what an unpleasant person that cute little girl grew up to be, I'll never watch the movie again!

STAYCLASSYSANDIEGO

It was a fuking live show. They did a nice job. Get over yourself

longbeachbitch

Awful, terrible....carrie underwood....it was just that bad

lynhaukeness

I thought it was good...it was not like the first one...it was better...

Debra Dummann

Be critical all you want. After 50 years, it was wonderful to see NBC's live production. Carrie Underwood nailed all the songs.

Niquejohnson

Carrie vocals are amazing, she has great range !!!!!! The. Girl can sang, old divas please give some props

Soapstef

So unnecessary. Thanks for ruining my memories of sweet little Gretl! Go away now please.

tjida

I loved the play. When Carrie stumbled walking downhill while singing, her voice stumbled for a fraction of a note and then she regained herself. Proof to me this was a live broadcast. This was a live play and it looked like one. The entire cast performed to perfection, I am throwing roses at my TV now.
The critics and snobs have forgotten what this is, entertainment, and I was very entertained. I was not picking it apart looking for perfection. Why would you wast your time for 3 hours watching something you already were biased against? If you knew you didn't like Carrie Underwood, why watch? Or why waste your time commenting on things others enjoy? Do you enjoy going around popping others ballons?
One other point, Walmart had a lot of ads, I don't know if they sponsered it, but they made a big investment in it. I would guess the snobs who didn't like the play probably do not shop at Walmart. They weren't on my list, but they are now. I will buy the DVD when it comes out.