Lee Daniels

Oscars Can't Snub Me

'Cause I Don't Care About Awards

1/21/2014 12:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

012014_lee_daniels_launch
Lee Daniels couldn't care less about the Oscars dissing his flick 'The Butler' because he tells us he doesn't buy into Hollywood's self-congratulatory award crap, but the thing is ... we're not sure Lee's keeping it 100.

Here's the deal ... 'Butler' came up goose eggs for Oscar noms -- nothing for Lee, Forrest Whitaker, or Oprah Winfrey -- even though critics LOVED the movie.

Daniels shrugged off the controversy at LAX ... telling us, "we don't do it for the awards, we do it for the art" -- which is either a totally chill thing to say ... or just what you HAVE to say when you get snubbed.

Daniels does end up getting a little consolation prize in this clip.

It's better than nothing. Barely.

stan

It wasn't that good. It came across like a tv movie

stan

HE CARES. I had a problem with this film. I could not watched it after 45 minutes. Every white person that showed were racist. Sorry not every white person in the south were racist. I think LEEE DANIELS would be very mad if they made a movie where
1) All the Black men were shown as lazy,on parole, dead beat fathers
2) And all the women were shown as "Fat Mammies".

NOT ELMO

LEE DANIELS IS A GAY OSCAR NOMINATED DIRECTOR ALREADY AND WE ARE PROUD OF HIM, OPRAH IS AN OSCAR-WINNER AND FORREST WHITAKER IS AN OSCAR-WINNER....................OPRAH WON AN OSCAR IN 2012

NOT ELMO

LEE DANIELS IS GREAT, HE WON THE GLAAD MEDIA AWARD IN 2010, FANTASTIC...

NOT ELMO

THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT MEXICAN-AFRICAN ACTRESS LUPITA NYONGO IS NOMINATED FOR AN OSCAR THIS YEAR FOR "12 YEARS A SLAVE", I HOPE LUPITA NYONGO WINS THE OSCAR "SHARED / TIED " WITH 84 YEAR OLD ACTRESS JUNE SQUIBB, THEY BOTH DESERVE TO WIN THAT OSCAR....

notalawyer

Says an actor that is not going to win one...

southsidequeen

You make s good movie. You make a lot of money. That is a success. I think it is more important to build up a loyal fan base. I am so over slave type movies. It is like constantly going on into an old wound.

DiM

Not many people/directors etc. expect awards for their film making. What a dumb question.

Clytemnestra

It is the right thing to say, but nominations typically mean big bonuses, and winning means huge bonuses. Either also affects your asking price so it is far more than just the honor of the whole thing.

static

This coming from a man so narcissistic he puts his name at the top of the movie title.

She's baaaack

I enjoy movies. If a movie is good I'll watch it a few times because I really get to take it apart as far as plot, dialogue and acting, especially acting. That movie was good but that movie wasn't nearly as good as others. There is a do***entary up for award this year called 20 Feet From Stardom that freaking blew me away. It's about backup singers that anyone over 40 has heard since they were in their teens; the woman on Gimme Shelter, Ray Charles' singers, the freaking Ikettes! You gotta see that one. I have no faves yet but that is the do***entary I'm putting my hopes on. Seek it out and watch it.

the truth

Yeah right...that's why he has to have his name above the project ... why do black directors have to head the name above the film into filmed the most important thing... you don't see Martin Scorsese putting his name but the film.... 00 black people

MrsBettyBowers

Says the man, so crudely eager for recognition, he put his name in the title of the film . . .

Tyrone Jefferson

I went to Lindenwood college with Lee. It blew my mind when I saw that he was making Hollyweed movies. He was a little dummy back then...

billybob

His movie sucks, it's crap and a box office bomb, so what?

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments