Captain & Tennille

Divorcing

Love WON'T Keep Us Together

1/22/2014 1:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0122-captain-and-tennille-getty
Say it ain't so ... there's no Muskrat Love left for Captain & Tennille ... they're getting divorced ... and the Captain tells TMZ he didn't see it coming.

Toni (Tennille) filed legal docs in Arizona, claiming the marriage was "irretrievably broken."  They've been married for 39 years.

If you don't know ... you should.  They had a string of hits in the 70s, including "Love Will Keep Us Together," "Muskrat Love" and  "Do that to Me One More Time."

They were discovered by Neil Sedaka at The SmokeHouse restaurant in Burbank, near NBC.

Daryl Dragon (The Captain) is 71.  Yeah, it's Dragon.

Daryl tells TMZ ... "I don't know why she filed.  I gotta figure it out for myself first."  He also said they're still living together in the same house.

According to the divorce docs, obtained by TMZ, there's special mention about health insurance coverage, and that seems relevant, because in 2009 Toni blogged that Daryl had been diagnosed with Parkinson's.   In 2011 Toni updated the message, saying Daryl's tremors were so bad he was embarrassed to go out in public ... to restaurants, the movies, etc.

Here's what's unclear -- whether it's possible Toni really filed for health insurance reasons ... whether his coverage might be better if they were divorced.

The blog has an update on Jan 16, 2014, saying "The Captain & Tennille appeared to the public as them being the ideal model for a 'rock-solid' married pair.   But almost all people naturally evolve over time, & sometimes hidden feelings start to be uncovered ..."

It's a sad day for muskrats.

0122_captain_tennille_before_split_footer

LARRY DAVID

NOT A REAL DIVORCE ITS JUST BECAUSE THEY DONT WANT TO LOSE ASSETS BECAUSE OF POOR HEALTH..THIS IS QUITE COMMON BUT THE IRS USUALLY CONSIDERS YOU MARRIED,SO IT DOESNT ALWAYS WORK..HOPE THE SCAM WORKS FOR THEM..THE RICH GET RICHER

LARRY DAVID

oh i ****ed toni in 74'

ImSoReal

They are to old to be getting divorced.

LARRY DAVID

I HEARD HE LOST HIS PENIS IN AN ACCIDENT 15 YEARS AGO

Scooter28

I don't think this is about insurance. According to a blog post from almost a year ago that I found, she's taken up with a female partner/lover. She's kicking the Captain to the curb because he's of no use to her anymore as a husband or as a musician. Think it's far-fetched? Go read the divorce announcement that talks about "people evolving" and "hidden feelings."

Diana

The pathetic thing here is that the same groups of people who claim that marriage is so sacred and all will fight to keep people they don't want marrying from doing so and then formulate laws and regulations that make it necessary for couples to divorce to get the assistance they need. Nice going once again.

DaveL

If it isn't for insurance purposes then she is the biggest bitch alive for divorcing her husband during his time of need.

... for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health...

Nothing in there about "as long as it's not inconvenient or interferes with my social life."

I hope it is for insurance purposes and that it is a divorce in name only. Otherwise... what a bitch!

who cares

That was cool that TMZ had there video to play it's sad there are no real singers out there like that today that can sing a whole song live without lip-syncing. Those were the days.. Imagine if Jimmy was alive what would he say about today's self titled Artist and the lack of talent.

Beth

For those who are too young to remember THE CAPTAIN AND TENNILE...

Toni Tennille and Daryl Dragon (former keyboardist for The Beach Boys) was a very popular musical couple during the 1970's. They appeared on many TV shows and sang hits including: Love Will Keep Us Together (US No. 2, 1975) Song Of Joy (US# 9, 1976) "The Way I Want to Touch You" (US No. 4), "Lonely Night (Angel Face)" (US No. 3); "Shop Around" (US No. 4) and "Muskrat Love" (US No. 4).

I could be wrong but I'm thinking that the divorce is merely a paper do***ent which will allow Daryl to get insurance benefits he needs for his Parkinson's Disease, that he can't get being married. Just a thought I have.

Dez

Awwww, that hurts my heart!

Sage

Considering how much in love these two have always been. Considering all they have been through together. Consider all the sacrifices they have made for each other. I would bet everything I have that she filed the divorce in order to allow him to have better insurance and to be able to take care of him to the end or until she must put him in a facility for his own safety. She has always been crazy about him and she would never do this without discussing it with him unless she thought he would fight her on it and she felt this was the best measure for his health and wellbeing.

Roger

For the younger ones here, Toni Tenile and Daryl Dragon, also known as the Captain and Tenile were a couple that sang together. Also had a TV show back in the 70's. If their divorce is because of Daryl's health, it's a shame that insurance companies force that on you because of lesser coverage. If you're able to make marriage last 39 years, that's something special. I'm hoping that whatever is going on, it can be resolved without a divorce.

Robin Martz

That's sad! My husband and I were married for 33 years and he died RIGHT after our anniversary). He took too many pain meds, and NOT on purpose. (If one was good, 4 were better!) He died on the couch during the night. I was devastated and for 4 years I did nothing. NOTHING. I just think people give up before they try to fix things. I wish I had MY husband with me! He was my best friend! RIP Timothy!

Tenille

My mom will be so sad, I was adopted on Feb 12 76 & as my parents were driving from Needles Ca to Orange Ca to 'get' me, the name Jeniffer was the chosen name, but my mom loved Love will Keep Us Together & heard it on the way haha, told my dad if she could name this baby Tenille ( different spelling on purpose) he could name al the other kids. But really, now my name sucks :( True but

Tenille

My parents adopted me in 76, the day I was born, & my dad wanted to name me Emily or Jenifer but as they drove those miles between Needles Ca & Orange Ca to get me, the song Love Will Keep Us Together came on so she made him say yes to Tenille, with a slightly diff spelling, no idea why almost 38 years later. My poor mom :(