Captain & Tennille

Divorcing

Love WON'T Keep Us Together

1/22/2014 1:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0122-captain-and-tennille-getty
Say it ain't so ... there's no Muskrat Love left for Captain & Tennille ... they're getting divorced ... and the Captain tells TMZ he didn't see it coming.

Toni (Tennille) filed legal docs in Arizona, claiming the marriage was "irretrievably broken."  They've been married for 39 years.

If you don't know ... you should.  They had a string of hits in the 70s, including "Love Will Keep Us Together," "Muskrat Love" and  "Do that to Me One More Time."

They were discovered by Neil Sedaka at The SmokeHouse restaurant in Burbank, near NBC.

Daryl Dragon (The Captain) is 71.  Yeah, it's Dragon.

Daryl tells TMZ ... "I don't know why she filed.  I gotta figure it out for myself first."  He also said they're still living together in the same house.

According to the divorce docs, obtained by TMZ, there's special mention about health insurance coverage, and that seems relevant, because in 2009 Toni blogged that Daryl had been diagnosed with Parkinson's.   In 2011 Toni updated the message, saying Daryl's tremors were so bad he was embarrassed to go out in public ... to restaurants, the movies, etc.

Here's what's unclear -- whether it's possible Toni really filed for health insurance reasons ... whether his coverage might be better if they were divorced.

The blog has an update on Jan 16, 2014, saying "The Captain & Tennille appeared to the public as them being the ideal model for a 'rock-solid' married pair.   But almost all people naturally evolve over time, & sometimes hidden feelings start to be uncovered ..."

It's a sad day for muskrats.

0122_captain_tennille_before_split_footer

TMZCrazy

The Captain's a nice guy. What the he'll' s wrong with her?

Mumra the Ever Living

1977 is just crushed. At least they still have Sonny and Cher.

Jay W.

Why bother? After 39 years it's like getting rid of your favorite recliner. Just live apart. Anyhow, best of luck to them.

PureRadiance

71 years old, 39 years of marriage & they figure it out now they are not compatible. Horse doo-doo

Lesley

Say it isn't so!

Your S&M Girlfriend

Here's your clue Mr Capitan - Unless she is in fear of her life from you there's some other man or woman who has been ticklin' her fancy, rubbin' her toes, and goin' muzzle to muzzle ... or muzzle to some other body part. Women rarely leave unless there is something on the horizon to leave for. Sorry.

Shoozie

I think I heard once before, years ago, that they divorced and remarried. I hate hearing about divorces. I hope they can work it out.

Kristinajp

Wow. ..If they can't make it after 39 yrs where's the luck for the rest if us? Se bummed, the were so cute when I was a little kid. My parents used to have their records in the juke box in our rec room. Wow. I really am bummed.

franklyspeaking

They're both too young to settle down.

BLUE UGLY 💩

Nooooooooooooooo

Don

Stupid at that age in your life. Yep the end is near and you ambush and then impose that carnage on yourself.
I'd had said its an estrogen depletion attack. but her's is all gone. Stupid selfishness might be an answer.
So they lied to us all these years about love will keep us toegher
You go captain

The New Improved Sock Puppet

Bummer. I can't imagine after all those years he had no clue unless there was a disconnect in the relationship for a while. When my brother got married for his honeymoon they went on a cruise and The Captain and Tenille were one of the cruise acts and my brother said she had some amazing jazz chops. She had a great smoky, smooth voice. That's a real shame. That's a long time to share your life with someone to have it all fall apart.

stellastar

Really sad, one of them probably cheated. :-(((

zombie

I thought those two old fossils divorced in the 80's.

SoManyIdiots

New album coming? Need some PR?