Philip Seymour Hoffman

DEAD of Apparent Heroin OD

Needle Found in Arm

2/2/2014 6:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0202_psh_splashPhilip Seymour Hoffman was found dead Sunday in a New York City apartment of an apparent drug overdose ... TMZ has learned authorities found a needle in his arm.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ ... the actor was found Sunday morning inside a Greenwich apartment ... and they're still on scene investigating.

Our sources say ... Hoffman was found in his bathroom in his boxer shorts, with a needle sticking out of his left arm.  We're told police found 10 glassine envelopes -- 2 of the envelopes had heroin ... the others presumably were empty.

One of the envelopes had "Ace of Spades" written on it, and another had an ace of hearts symbol -- such symbols and words are often markers from people who make heroin -- to brand it.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ ...  Hoffman was supposed to pick up his kids at 9 AM Sunday but didn't show -- which was unusual for him.  A playwright and a friend became concerned, came over and found the actor alone in the apartment.

0202_APARTMENT_TMZ_WM_SPLITDetails surrounding his death are unclear ... but the actor had struggled with drug problems ... most recently checking himself into a rehab facility for heroin back in May.

TMZ broke the story of Hoffman going to rehab.  We were told he did it as a preventative measure because he was getting close to a major relapse.  A source involved in Hoffman's treatment now tells TMZ ... the actor said at the time he was on the brink of becoming a heroin IV user and wanted to nip it in the bud before that happened.

As we previously reported ... Hoffman had been clean for 23 years but fell off the wagon in 2012.

It appears Hoffman's last interview was at the Sundance Film Festival with XiXi Yang from PopStopTV for his movie "A Wanted Man."

020214_seymour_hoffman_interview_launch
Hoffman's family released a statement saying, "We are devastated by the loss of our beloved Phil and appreciate the outpouring of love and support."

Law enforcement sources tell us his autopsy will take place Monday.

0202_rememberingphilip-seymour-hoffman_launch

Previous 15 Comments | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29

glrfc

I'm sorry for him and his family, but wonder what the comments would have looked like had this been a rapper.

glrfc

Would the sympathy have been so outpouring if this had been rapper? My deepest sympathy goes out to the family of Mr. Hoffman.

cindy

wow..when is it going to stop? how many famous people have died in this manner? i am 54 yrs old and i don't understand why so many people with god given talent end up passing in these ways?? what happens in thier lives to bring them to this point..we know the have talent..we know they are loved..what are they missing?so sad...i guess money wasn't the answer..so many talents lost...in my lifetime..we have lost a lot of great talents..they will be greatly missed

Mrsmatthews

Ok people.. Some of you are making ur selfs sound like inconsiderate idiots! I am a recovering alcoholic and addict and to hear this negativity is REALLY sad.. If u are not an addict or alcoholic then you have ABSOLUTLEY NO IDEA WHAT UR TALKING ABOUT!! We never sit w drugs in hand and think oh screw my kids, screw my family I'm just getting high! We feel so much guilt and remorse over this disease that we are cursed with that it leads to us feeling hopeless and so much guilt u can't imagine! It's not about being unloved or untalented. I have the greatest family I could ever imagine but the disease of addiction is more powerful than anything else UNTIL u reach the point of defeat and just can't handle it anymore. The love of my family is what saved me. The depression addicts feel for what they have done to their loved ones is deadly. It's the hardest thing I've ever done: getting sober and staying sober. It's one day at a time and sometimes one minute at the time. I understand some of you are just misinformed and u think its just an easy "say no to drugs" but it isn't. I pray that none of your loved ones or yourselves EVER have to fight the battle that we as addicts and alcoholics fight every day of our lives. You should take a minute to hug ur kids and THANK GOD u aren't like the old me! I pray for his family. This is really sad!

joe