'Tonight Show' Star David Brenner

Dead at 78

After Battle With Cancer

3/15/2014 4:26 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0315-david-brenner-getty-03Legendary comedian David Brenner has died at the age of 78 ... and he went out with a joke.

Brenner's rep says David passed away peacefully Saturday evening at his NYC home surrounded by family.

As we previously reported ... Brenner slipped into a coma this week after his cancer got aggressive and started spreading rapidly.

D.B. holds the record for most "Tonight Show" appearances with 158 couch sessions. He also hosted the show a handful of times.

We're told David had one final request -- $100 in small bills be placed in his sock -- and said it was "just in case tipping is recommended where I'm going."

dale12

Thoughts, Prayers, & Deepest Condolences go out to the Family of David Brenner...

Observer

Thanks for all the laughs David.
For those who knew, a sad yet thankful day.
For those who don't, YouTube some of his stuff. Funny guy indeed.

Jorge

Some of the comments here were my first thoughts after reading this, " The original Seinfeld, and even funnier". "Never had to curse or shock to be funny. " "Always smiling." The first comedian I remember watching as a tween and getting it. I adored David Brenner. He was a good, funny man. May he be remembered as that on judgement day.

Bu

I saw him live in person on stage and he rocked it for almost 2 hours. He was amazing. He gave up a lot of his career to get custody of his three sons that's why many younger people may not know who he was. RIP David.

BB not bb

I used to know him from the day time game shows. He always seemed kind of shy and quiet. I feel like his comedy was the super safe kind. Most comedians have an edge to them and a sort of biting wit. He was more like a bowl of porridge.

Bill5martin

I really never saw his act. I remember Carson. I grew up in the 80's. Sad how many people die of cancer. My aunt died of cancer within 30 days of her diagnosis in 08. The sad part was she knew she had a lump on her breast and tricked herself into believing it was nothing. When she went to the hospital it was to late & within hours her skin became yellow from jaundice ,because it spread to her liver. She had the finest doctors money can buy at Fox chase, but was given 30 days and literally died 30 days to that day. She had her husband buy birthday, wedding, graduation cards for her two children, for any & everything for the rest of their lives. Including first born and several kids & wrote messages in each one.....As far as David Brenner. Even though I only knew him by name. It was nice to see even as he died he actually made a joke. RIP Dave & to all those who aren't well known, who have died or are dying of cancer. Those who have cancer in their families should get checked. Especially if they have kids. My aunt had two kids. One has fragile x a form of mental retardation. Luckily my uncle has been CEO of several large companies in the north east and his kids are set for life.

zombie

I remember him and he was funny. I was a little kid but remember he was a comedian I was allowed to watch.

nof

How can you get any braver...

Then standing-up in front of people.

Attempting to make them LAUGH.

With wit and material fashioned from your own being/life -

I tried it three times.

Had a stroke all three.

Short of War there's nothing more frightening.

DB made it look easy.

Like he was in your living room - eating pizza w/you.

Mike Casto

The guy was awesome he was to young to die :-(

Me

When I was growing up and watching Carson, I'm going to bet I saw every single Brenner appearance. He was a joy. Thanks, David. RIP. Condolences to his family and friends.

Gretel

Awww. My parents were huge fans. When my dad was a lot younger he was in Philly and David Brenner was in a club or a bar or somewhere and my dad and he hung out and conversed for a few hours after discovering they both attended Temple University. After that, any time he was in Philly, and later in Atlantic City my parents would go to see him and if he saw my dad in the audience he would make eye contact and nod his head at him to let him know he saw him there. I'm really glad he is still appreciated. My dad was sad when he heard the news.

rotti

Rest In Peace David

(yiddish) מנוחה אין שלום דוד

Phantom

SAD! He was awesome! RIP

77nightingale

RIP David~~~you made me laugh even when I didn't want to!

Yourtotalbabe