Zac Efron

Attacked After Midnight in Downtown L.A.

3/27/2014 3:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Zac Efron FightZac Efron mysteriously ended up in a bad area of downtown L.A. just after midnight Sunday ... and ended up getting violently socked in the mouth by a sketchy transient ... law enforcement sources tell TMZ.

We're told cops were on patrol under the Harbor Freeway when they saw Zac and a man he identified as his bodyguard.  Cops saw Zac and the other guy in a full-blown melee with at least 3 other people.

After breaking up the fight, cops questioned Zac. He told them they had run out of gas and were sitting in the car.  Zac said while waiting for a tow truck they threw a bottle out the window -- he never said what was in the bottle -- and it smashed on the pavement near a group of transients.

Zac said the transients confronted him and the bodyguard because they believed the pair hurled the bottle at them. Zac says 2 of the transients attacked the bodyguard and when Zac got out of the car to help, he got cold cocked in the mouth. Zac said, "It was the hardest I've ever been hit in my life."

You'll recall ... Zac mysteriously broke his jaw in November, saying he slipped on a pool of water in his home.  Zac was in rehab twice last year for cocaine abuse.

The area where this occurred is rough. Cops are on high alert for drug deals and gangs.  One source says Zac was "obviously intoxicated."

Law enforcement tells TMZ ... no one was arrested because they viewed it as "mutual combat."

We contacted Zac's rep ... so far no comment.

0327_zac_efron_trhough_years_footer

dirty larry

I heard he was butt fuggin one of the homeless homos

CT

stay out of the ghetto idiot.

sg views

These actors need a truth awakening. They need to experience having to choose gas for the car to get to work, or buying groceries. What a waste - I say dump Hollywood and all the "stars" and everyone just be. After all, we are all JUST human beings.

Pilar Bernsteen de Juarez

Next time go to Sam's Hofbrau you effing dweeb

Jorge

That's what happens when you try to bargain for rock. You get socked in the mouth.

Ming the Merciless

The new Heath Ledger. He has at most 2 years left. He'll join the 27 club on October 18th. Might help if he came out.

Chloe Indigo

Relapse in progress. Damn shame.

stfu_damn

Wow.. I hope he's not becoming like the rest of Hollywood that's gone to crap!

Refilwe Seboko

LOL

I_die

Thats just a big fat lie..

ocdiva76

He keeps messing up his face and he will eventually look like Mickey Rourke.

Tony Lopez-Cisneros

One Word: PUBLICITY ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

kat

Is he on the death watch list yet? Cuz I bet he's od'd within the next 18 months.

Colleen

I'm calling BS on this story. No one has any business being down on skid Row unless they are homeless or looking for drugs. I've been there during the day, and that place is like a third world country. It is dangerous and not a place to just go hang out. I'd guarantee he was there looking for drugs and the deal went bad. Get help my friend.

Colleen

I'm calling BS on phis story. No one has any business being down on skid Row unless they are homeless or looking for drugs. I've been there during the day, and that place is like a third world country. It is dangerous and not a place to just go hang out. I'd guarantee he was there looking for drugs and the deal went bad. Get help my friend.

Mike