Josh Elliott

I Wanted Out of "GMA" So Bad

I Took a Pay Cut!

4/1/2014 6:54 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Josh Elliott Leaving GMA

Josh Elliott was so disgusted with ABC ... he took a pay cut of more than a million dollars ... multiple sources connected with both ABC and NBC tell TMZ.

Our sources say ABC offered Josh between $4 and $5 million to stay, but he chose NBC despite the fact that they offered him just over $3 million.

We're told Josh was at the point of no return when Robin Roberts signed a $14 million a year contract to anchor GMA.  He felt slighted by the ABC offer and just wanted out.

Sources say the feeling is mutual.  As one source put it, "He's definitely an abrasive guy."  Another source says, "People hated him.  He was always just rude."

And get this ... we're told just weeks ago Sr. VP of ABC News James Goldston confronted Amy Robach -- Josh's replacement on GMA -- and called her "toxic" because she created tension on the set.  Indeed, we're told Amy and Lara Spencer "hate" each other and can't hide their contempt.

Another source says Robin Roberts hasn't helped matters -- one person saying she acts like a "diva" on the set.

As for Josh's future ... our network sources say NBC did NOT promise Josh any role on "Today," but we're told there's no doubt he's got to the top of the heap as the likely successor to Matt Lauer.

Morning TV ... it's just like grade school, only all the students are really rich.

DragonLady

funny thing is....all this is probably hype! the media will fabricate anything to get people to stop & read. i like GMA AND Today, they each bring something extra to the morning "get ready" routine. i could actually do without the "hollywood" portions of the show, but "its entertainment", & alot of people want to know what Beyonce & Rhianna wore last night. not me. my interests are met with my local news & CNN. i believe each and every broadcaster has earned the right to be a "somewhat of a diva", its a 24/7 kinda job. Diane Sawyer would be my personal "Diva of News", as she has always been exactly the same all these years.

Celeb Gossip Addict

We don't need to know what happens behind the scenes. I like his on air personality. No morning show anchor deserves the kind of money that Robin and Matt make in my opinion, but the networks keep giving it to them so what can ya do?

KicksandGiggles

Dump the entire group of the m - including Roberts. Go to the nearest University and hire some younger, better looking, and above all GRATEFUL people who appreciate ANY salary much less a mega salary AND who will act and behave like decent human beings. Learning pains at first, but hey it won't last forever and it beats getting so much sheetz from these so called TV Stars. Screw em' and replace em'.

PG

Who?

Selebraties Suck

These are the same people touting "income inequality".

WTF

Seems this contradicts all the "we just love each other so much" BS we hear on screen. I'm not surprised that Josh is revealed to be a jerk. Some things are hard to hide.

SBTZMom

These folks get paid millions for reading off a TelePrompTer! Josh Elliott always seemed arrogant. Not sorry to see him go and glad NBC has him.....he and Matt Lauer can swim in the douchebag pond together!

Livvie

rme 💩👎

think101

Regardless of the reason, its a horrible feeling to be stuck someplace that your not happy. It gets to the point where the money doesn't matter anymore. Good Luck Josh.

Just_Me

Never liked this guy. I don't get the appeal. He belongs on Fox "news".

Cookie35

I liked him...he wasn't as stiff as the other step ford wives on that show...

HumanNature

NEVER UNDERSTOOD WHY PEOPLE MAKE SO MUCH $$$$$$$ DELIVERING THE NEWS!!!!!

IT'S SO DEPRESSING!!!!!

dancindi

I really liked Josh and was amazed and sorry he left but I'm sorry Robin has been a diva for years. It's always "bless this" and "Lord praise us all." I did like her doing sports years ago, especially being a woman that knew what she was talking about. George is smart but rather dull for AM, Lara seems genuine but I guess you never know. I was not a fan of when Robin went through her cancer crisis, many of us have been through it ourselves and I was happy she was so open but she thanked everyone under the sun except for her partner. It took her all these years to come out, please, everyone knew and personally if I were her girl friend of many years I would be ticked. In this day and age we should not have to hide, that to me said it all . I guess I move on to just standard morning cable news. This does not mean I'm a Robin hater, I just think she is not as real as people think.

laffyleah

Good lord...these are news reporters not celebrities...Why do they get paid so much!?

James R. - Los Angeles

ABC to NBC. From liberal bad to liberal worse.