Josh Elliott

I Wanted Out of "GMA" So Bad

I Took a Pay Cut!

4/1/2014 6:54 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Josh Elliott Leaving GMA

Josh Elliott was so disgusted with ABC ... he took a pay cut of more than a million dollars ... multiple sources connected with both ABC and NBC tell TMZ.

Our sources say ABC offered Josh between $4 and $5 million to stay, but he chose NBC despite the fact that they offered him just over $3 million.

We're told Josh was at the point of no return when Robin Roberts signed a $14 million a year contract to anchor GMA.  He felt slighted by the ABC offer and just wanted out.

Sources say the feeling is mutual.  As one source put it, "He's definitely an abrasive guy."  Another source says, "People hated him.  He was always just rude."

And get this ... we're told just weeks ago Sr. VP of ABC News James Goldston confronted Amy Robach -- Josh's replacement on GMA -- and called her "toxic" because she created tension on the set.  Indeed, we're told Amy and Lara Spencer "hate" each other and can't hide their contempt.

Another source says Robin Roberts hasn't helped matters -- one person saying she acts like a "diva" on the set.

As for Josh's future ... our network sources say NBC did NOT promise Josh any role on "Today," but we're told there's no doubt he's got to the top of the heap as the likely successor to Matt Lauer.

Morning TV ... it's just like grade school, only all the students are really rich.

Cindy

TMZ ... it's just like grade school, only all the students are.....

sass

Josh should not leave:(

sass

Sam left now Josh...not good!

Elizabeth

Look how many people have friends with unemployed mothers that made a ton of money last month.

noerod3

Who is Josh Elliot?

Kev the Realist

Just another ungrateful Tv personality. GMA is # 1 in the ratings after the disaster at the TODAY SHOW when obnoxious Matt Lauer trashed Ann Curry and then the morons at NBC choose to put Chris Kraptrashian on air on Spetember 11th in place a a minute of silence which cost them their #1 ranking. It has been a downhill slide since then. Josh is not that good anyway, would never make it as a primary HOST of morning TV and jumped ship to the TITANTIC of morning TV. Shows he has a sports casters mindset, not a businessman, and this will end up being a stupid decision. The talk about taking less monbey only confirms he cannot deal with conflcitb and has no desire to step up and take a lead ibn making things better. SO sim0ply take less money and cut and run. You are a COWARD.

Gretel

Most morning news programs are nothing but jokes. It's really hard to get just plain news anymore without a three ring circus going on around the news stories. Anymore, I figure if something big is going on I'll hear about it with or without television.

DogsRule

They Are ALL DIVA'S!!!!!

liveguy12

UNREAL!!!!!!!

Dennis Emery

Sounds like a story concocted by NBC to me. We all know what NBC did to Ann Curry, and I'm sure they're behind this story to take the heat of themselves.

Jack

These shows are ridiculous.

Josh Elliott reeks of and - I would be more than willing to bet - is a giant, narcissistic douche-bag.

The set of GMA - primarily that ridiculous set they all sit at - looks like a space ship, and is reminiscent of the deck of the Starship Enterprise.

Why isn't Robin Roberts embarrassed by all this? (OK ... I'll admit this is cynical: of course ... it's the $14MM.)

But still ... come on people.

Oscar

Well at least this way he doesn't have to put up with Nancy Grace's bull**** when they talk to her via satellite. That bitch is craaaaaaaaazy to the power of 10.

Starbum

I wish Josh, Lara, Sam would all stay and get rid of the rest.

Nancy

I watch the morning news as I'm getting ready for work in the morning. One morning I was channel surfing and discovered that I liked Fox 5 because of the chemistry between Rossana Scotto and Greg Kelly. They are so funny and down to earth. Just what I need in the morning. The other news stations reminds me of my place of employment, a bunch of phonies

aldz

Too bad. I actually like GMA.