« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Curt Schilling

I Have Mouth Cancer

... Blames Chewing Tobacco

8/20/2014 6:46 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0820-curt-schilling-getty-01

Former MLB pitching great Curt Schilling says he was diagnosed with mouth cancer back in February ... and believes it was caused from his 30-year habit of chewing tobacco.

The former Boston Red Sox pitcher says he stayed quiet about the diagnosis for months for two reasons -- he didn't want people to pity him and he didn't want to get into the chewing tobacco debate.

Still, 47-year-old Schilling says ... "I'll go to my grave believing that [chewing tobacco] was why I got what I got ... absolutely, no question in my mind about that."

Schilling says he learned about the cancer only after seeing a doctor about a dog bite wound on his finger -- and felt a lump in his neck.

He got it checked out -- and it turned out to be squamous cell carcinoma ... aka mouth cancer.

Schilling says he went through several weeks of chemotherapy and radiation treatments -- and says the whole thing hurt like hell.

"The pain that I was in going through this treatment, the second or third day it was the only thing in my life that had that I wish I could go back and never have dipped. Not once. It was so painful."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Stiletto

Blame yourself for being stupid and not listening to about 1 million studies confirming that very thing!

Mumra the Ever Living

Oh Curt, what did you expect? Chewing Tobacco KILLS. Virtually every study has shown that holding a disgusting wad of chewed up tobacco against your cheek for hours on end CAUSES CANCER.

Enjoy that artificial jaw Curt.

Mike

So why was his type of cancer such a secret until now?

Ben

I just gave up dipping a few years ago (after 25 years). I know how hard it is and I know 99% of the people that dip their whole life never get cancer but I just did not want to take the chance any longer. Good luck with treatment!

Roger Carter

Again and again I am amazed how cruel people can be on social media. Telling this guy it's his fault and enjoy your artificial jaw? Is there any human decency left in this world? Cancer is awful no matter what caused it. No one deserves to suffer.

Otter

Has "Mr Conservative" paid back the taxpayers of Rhode Island for bailing him out of his failed business ventures? Hope he beats cancer, but this guy is a skunk who always put himself on a pedestal. It all started with his fake bloody sock.

The Maharincess of Franistan

It's coincidental that Curt Schilling's largest body part is his MOUTH.

Eric Anderson

Cancer of the mouth is impossible even if you chew tobacco. There just is no evidence! Persons that chew tobacco does not effect the mouth, mostly causes syfillis and other sexually transmitted diseases to the effect that Doctor Rumplestiltskin recommends removal of at least one testicle, not re,moval of all but one tooth for nativity reasons.

Hipster

Not surprised. Republican's never heed the warnings of science,

MaximumOvertroll

Im no oncologist but 30 years of chewing tobbacco causing mouth cancers sounds about right.

lourdgoogoo

He should have chewed sunflower seeds.