Amanda Bynes Gasoline-Soaked Pooch In a Better Place

12/12/2013 12:45 AM PST

Amanda Bynes -- Gasoline-Soaked Pooch ... in a Better Place Now


Good news dog lovers -- Amanda Bynes' canine (the one she accidentally soaked in gasoline back in July while setting a neighbor's driveway on fire) has been placed in a new home ... far, far away from Amanda and flammables.

Sources close to the Bynes family tell us, Sherbert was taken away from Amanda after she was placed on a 5150 psychiatric hold in the summer.

While she was in rehab, we're told Amanda's parents cared for Sherbert ... but have since given him away to a family friend because Sherbert didn't get along with the Bynes family's other dogs. 

Sad for Amanda ... as we reported, the actress desperately loved the dog and begged to see Sherbert while she was getting inpatient treatment for schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.

Safe to say, lil Sherb survived some dark days -- here's that video of Amanda rushing to a nearby liquor store to clean him after the near-charring.