Red Bull Sued Forget Wings ... Your Drink Killed My Son!!

3/30/2016 12:20 AM PDT

Red Bull Sued: Forget Wings ... Your Drink Killed My Son!!


Red Bull energy drink got one guy so hyped up on caffeine it destroyed his heart, and his family says the company knew about the medical risk ... but did nothing to warn consumers. 

Ann Lemley is suing the energy drink giant over her 44-year-old son William's 2014 death. In the lawsuit, obtained by TMZ, she says William died after ingesting "toxic amounts of caffeine and other chemicals" in Red Bull. 

Lemley points out in the suit ... multiple studies have been done about the negative health consequences of the popular beverage. She claims Red Bull fails to alert its customers to risks associated with the drink ... including hypertension and cardiovascular conditions. 

Her son ultimately died of a string of heart ailments. 

Lemley's suing for more than $35 million in damages. We've reached out to Red Bull, but have not heard back. 

7:30 A.M. PST -- A rep for the company tells TMZ, "Over 60 billion cans of Red Bull Energy Drink have been consumed since it first went on sale in 1987 and it is available in over 165 countries because health authorities around the world have concluded that it is safe to consume.

The European Food Safety Authority has recently again confirmed the safety of energy drinks. So, there is no justification to treat energy drinks differently than coffee, tea or other caffeine containing soft drinks. One 250 ml (8.4 fl oz) can of Red Bull Energy Drink contains about the same amount of caffeine as a cup of coffee (80 mg)."