Taylor Hicks' Viper Room Romp

8/28/2006 4:17 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Taylor Hicks at the Viper RoomTMZ has already reported that Taylor Hicks, Bucky Covington and Elliott Yamin skipped out on their "Idol" tour after-party, full of autograph signing and kodak moments with the kiddies, to obtain some serious music industry cred by playing at the notorious Hollywood rock club Viper Room.

Well here's what went down inside. Taylor jammed with the Little Memphis Blues Orchestra, along with members of his own band.

Hicks sang, played harmonica and drank shots on stage in front of a sold-out crowd that wasn't interested in hearing any pop music covers or standards. Amen!

Elliott and Bucky also got in on the action to the delight of the packed house which included tons of screaming fans, but unlike their earlier gig at Staples Center, none of the 12-year-old variety.

Bucky hung with his wife Crystal, while Elliott was joined by his gorgeous model girlfriend, Jamie.

As far as Taylor, when he wasn't on stage or fending off members of his Soul Patrol, he would retreat to the confines of the closed-off VIP room.

Lori

Nice to see that Taylor and the guys are actually getting to enjoy themselves. Good for them! They've been working their butts off. Taylor, you rock!

Trixi

By Justin dogging Taylor out it just shows he must be worried about the competition. On MSN poll Taylor blew Justin away 78% to 22%. Talk about a wanna be. Let's see where did JT get his start?.....Oh yeah one of those gay boy bands. Taylor is in a class above him. Rock on Taylor!!!!

BJ

Taylor and his band members (LMBO-Little Memphis Blues Orchestra) are unbelievable, live and in person! What a pleasure to hear and watch perform.
They are all expert musicians, playing of the energy of each other and their fans and creating an unforgetable experience for everyone in attendance. They ROCK!

Brigitte

I have mixed emotions. If I were at the after party I would have been disappointed had Taylor not shown up--if I were at the Viper and he didn't show up-I would have been disappointed. You just can't please everyone. Too bad we can't clone Taylor! I'd have my own personal copy made just for me!!!

wendy

Members of the Soul Patrol have known for months about the Viper Room gig. Any fans who went to the M&G and missed Taylor can catch him when he headlines his own concerts in the future! Taylor + LMBO = INCREDIBLE TALENT!

radargrl

yeah, # 9 was totally disgusting/ get a life!!!! any how,. I love Elliott, but I don'lt like hearing that he would skip out on an after party where his loyal fans count on him. this is not the first time. He let Richmond fans set up a big birthday bash and pay $$ to atttend and his cardboard cut out was the only Elliott to show up. He knew all about and led people to believe he'd be there / then the Idol rules for the concert tour supposedly wouldn't allow him to attend.

PN

I like the fact that Taylor Hicks did his own thing by performing with his live band at the Viper Room in Hollywood. I think that he needed to get out of that bubble of singing remakes and covers. Maybe he wrote some songs just for that show away from the demanding American Idol brass. Or songs that might be on his new album in November. Sorry if he had to pass on the after party, but he's a musician, not just someone standing on stage. Obviously this fellow wants to perform on his own terms after the AI tour ended. Yes, I like the commercial-driven artists and slick sounds, but there's room for Taylor and his soul-driven music too. And there's is an audience hungry to hear Taylor just as much as they're all onto Justin Timberlake now. It will be interesting to see how Taylor's new album does on the charts while he's very popular.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2