Lewis and Clarkson:

Who Will and WON'T Perform Tonight

5/23/2007 3:57 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Kelly Clarkson may be feuding with her label head Clive Davis, but she's got nothing but love for "American Idol."

TMZ has learned that Kelly -- and all winners from seasons past, except Fantasia -- will be back performing on the "American Idol" stage for tonight's finale.

Clarkson, Ruben Studdard, Carrie Underwood and Taylor Hicks are headed to the Kodak Theater, but Fantasia Barrino won't be, since she is headlining Oprah Winfrey's production of "The Color Purple" on Broadway.

Sources tell TMZ Gladys Knight will perform "Midnight Train to Georgia" with the top six female finalists, while Smokey Robinson will join the top six male finalists for a rendition of "Ooh Baby Baby." Most recently booted finalist Melinda Doolittle will sing with brother and sister gospel duo BeBe and CeCe Winans, while the hairiffic Sanjaya duets with Aerosmith's Joe Perry to the Kinks' "You Really Got Me." It's sure to be an unbeweavable night!

Beat-boxing finalist Blake Lewis will show off his mad skillz against rapper Doug E. Fresh, and then duet with fellow finalist and probable winner, Jordin Sparks, to the Beatles' "I Saw Her Standing There." Since producers were able to finally get clearance to use Beatles music, a medley of Fab Four hits will be performed as well.

Luckily, we're told no one is expected to be exhumed a la Elvis on tonight's finale!

UPDATE: A well-placed source tells TMZ that anti-establishment rockers Green Day sold out and will be on the "American Idiot" "Idol" finale too!

tba

I don't know if I can continue to live if Lewis and Clarkson don't perform. The sun won't come up tomorrow, the earth will reverse it's axis and the dead will rise from the grave.
A pilgrimage to Tibet is a must to find the meaning of life and see if I can ever recover from the tragic news that they will not perform tonite!

jenny

Greenday is great - what is up with all the crap about 'insulting people' etc... I just said I didn't want to watch the stupid show IF they WERE NOT definitely going to be on it. I happen to dislike American Idol. Now I will gladly watch since it's been confirmed. Learn to read before you go off - I take it that your rant was directed at me since I was the only one that mentioned Greenday in their comment and I said NOTHING disrespectful about the band or their charitable efforts. I happen to be a big fan of their's since the mid 90's and respect as well as agree with many of their social positions on things.

PS. posting your comment 5 times does not make it any more effective, just annoying.

huntlynn

Melinda should not have won!!! She is a professional back-up singer, she already had her foot in the music industry door. Yes, when she performed she was always consistent but she did not grow as the other contestants did! American Idol is all about giving a deserving contestent, not a professional back-up singer, a chance at a contract. A regular person who normally would not have this opportunity. Melinda need to go!!!

Proud Marine Mom

UPSET -
It's not so much that Kelly slammed AI; she wanted to do her new CD her way.
So far Kelly & Carrie Underwood are the true money makers.

I love all of her music and I'm looking forward to the fact that she wants to do something different. Hell; Tim McGraw sang with Nelly for goodness sake. (I loved that song too)

naynbritt

I agree about Melinda and the judges said it best Jordin is the best singer and Blake though I hate to say it is the most entertaining. I voted for Jordin because I felt that with her voice and looks at 17 she can be taught showmanship with the right producers.

MommaT

To Post #15..........are you NUTZ?

To Post #16.............I TOTALLY agree with you. THANK YOU LORD that CRAPtasia is not going to be on.

Post #25............AMEN

TM

I think the surprise guest will be Paul McCartney. They talked about getting him on all season and now they suddenly got clearancew to sing Beatles songs.

C Ya

Me too Victoria!

huntlynn

Thank you CindiCat, I agree with you also!

jenny

Sorry Greenday is great - I didn't see your post about the duplications and I didn't read the little italicized snark in the body of the post the asshats at TMZ wrote. My bad - enjoy the show - I know I will - happy to see the guys together performing - been almost two years!

susan

Well that sounds like a pretty boring finale. You'd think with all the younger popular artists out there they could of lined up some of them instead of a bunch of old people.

costaMesaboy

#33 hey I heard SANJAYA SLEPT W- FANTASIA,,,just saying

MommaT

Post #33......very mature of you...........I am impressed with your writing expertise.

I am entitled to MY opinion just like you are. I don't have to spew cuss words to get MY point across.

Fantasia IS NOT an award winning Broadway ANYTHING.

Get your facts straight before you type.

Rescue51

**yawn**

Shanna

The rumer around my town is that the queen of trailer trash herself, Britney, will be uh-"performing".

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments