Daddy Dearest

Supports Daughter Nicole

7/8/2007 12:10 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Nicole Richie's daddy Lionel Richie spoke out about his daughter's recent legal troubles. Nicole's DUI trial is set for July 11. She was arrested in December for driving under the influence and pleaded not guilty.

nicoleric_brian_14248245_400-1Richie told FOXNews.com that, "she keeps apologizing to me. I told her 'You're doing exactly what you're supposed to be doing to your father at this age." Talk about arrested development!

Richie-the-elder then blamed the media for his daughter's drama. "There's just so much information out there right now -- MySpace, cell phones, the Internet. If we had had all that when The Commodores were around, God only knows what my mother and father would have seen." Probably some dancing on the ceiling!

onehottmama12803

I cant believe her father would say such a thing. so ok Mr Richie, when your daughter is under the influence again and kills somene, are you going to tell her again that it ok, thats what shes suppose to do at her age? think about that!

kandria

Man leave this girl alone she has enough to deal with as it is we should just give her her space. Nicole good luck on your marriage, your pregnacy, your marriage and your case. Fear no one but GOD and the rest will be fine.

JUST THE FACTS

WITH A FATHER WHO ESPOUSES LIONEL RICHIE'S PHILOSOPHY, NO WONDER NICOLE RICHIE IS IN THE RIDICULOUS MESS OF A SITUATION SHE'S CURRENTLY IN. FOR STARTERS, DRUGS, ALCOHOL, PREGNANT BY A TATOOED, DISGUSTING LOOKING CREEP, AND FACING JAIL. I FEEL SORRY FOR AN UNBORN CHILD HAVING A "MOTHER" AND A SO-CALLED FAMILY LIKE THAT.

itsbritneybitch

It amazes me that Nicole who weighs 85lbs according to police reports and who abuses drugs was able to get pregnant- I already feel sorry for this baby to be born to a mother who is a addict, I pray that it is born healthy and Nicole will grow up and put her baby first not her spoiled self..........

Katy

As someone who is the exact same age as Nicole, I can say that we are past the age where parents should expect this kind of behavior. On top of that, on a much, much more personal level, I live in Los Angeles My fiancee drives on the 134 freeway on his daily commute and sometimes does not come home until late at night. To think this person, who thinks she above the law and everyone else, can get away with driving on the wrong side of the road while high, makes me sick. If my boyfriend or any other person were to get hurt that night, her father would think twice about the way he raised his precious Nicole.

itsbritneybitch

Where would "nicole" be if her biological parents would not of sold her to the Richies to raise-I am sure that she would still be a drug addict but instead of living in a mansion she would be homeless living on the streets selling herself for her drug habit..

Ra

"Hey Katie, can I borrow your fake belly until I ditch these pesky charges?"

Missy

Have Lionel lost his mind, blaming the Media? The Media Only can report what is seen. Nicole is abusing something, and Breaking the Law at the same time. He need, to take off the Blinders . That he has worned for years. Lionel, open your eyes, before a Life is lost in an accident. That your child would have caused.

Robin

I like some of the comments but not most. Nicole is a "Richie". bottom line. She is a Rich girl by name and fame. She will grow up. Kids make you do that. I wish her the best. As far as her being adopted, that is not even the issue. Sometimes you can choose your kids. God allowed me to get pregnant several times. I have a little girl across the street that adopted me and my family. She is treated just like I gave birth to her. And Oh by the way. She is white and we are black. Ppl grow up yourselves, and stop getting into the hype of the game of so called fame.

Momma

Blah, Blah, Blah

JAA

Sadly, I'm thinking there is a baby trying to grow in a very small uterus and may or may not have been exposed to whatever Nicole has ingested....vicodin and pot are not usually on the list of prenatal vitamins.....Lionel Richie had an affair and broke his wife's heart in a very public way. Do you really think this guy paid any attention to Nicole? Maybe he can make it up to her when he becomes a GRANDFATHER!

Not too sympathic

Nicole doing exactly what she should be doing to her parents at this age??? For God sakes, Nicole is how old?? I can see if she was 18 or better yet a minor still. But still giving her father indigestion & heartache should have stopped long ago. My sisters kids have grown up with the internet & cell phones & MTV, etc. One is at Le Moyne College & the other one is applying to Skidmore & Harvard. Her husband & her worked full time, she finished college while caring for 4 children, worked a part-time job & shuffled them to/from school activities/sports/hobbies. These children have given her headaches from time to time but from past actions it will not continue when they are in their mid 20;s. Her children are more responsible and intelligent than Nicole could ever dream of being & its too bad because with all her money she could have had it all. But I guess the moral of this story is less money makes you work harder to get where you want to be and the more money puts you in places that you don't ever dream that you would go. Nicole should go to jail and learn the stories of the imates there and see why & how they came to be there. I am sure 95% of them are not daughters of singers/producers or Hollywood rich parents. I am sure many struggled in life and had no guidance from their parents. That may be the common link. I pray she is a good parent & offers lots of love besides just being there for the baby & not let some nanny raise the child!

fliptop

What she did was wrong, but her father did what any loving father would do. He stood by his daughter in her time of need.

oh really

what do you people expect him to say? you're going to bash him for his comments? not that any of you would ever be in this situation, b/c everyone on here is perfect, but i'm sure if you weren't, then you wouldn't appreciate having your parent(s) questioned over every move you make and situation you're in. it's his daughter, he is doing the right thing, supporting her. maybe if she had more support over the years, she wouldn't be in the situation she is in, but irregardless.... and get real if you think she got preggo on purpose - she has been jailed before, although not a long time, but you have go to be kidding if she did it to avoid some 90 days in jail.....

SinCity

'i told her 'You're doing exactly what you're supposed to be doing to your father at this age."' He's a good song writer/singer, but I never knew he turn out to such an idiot.

So a DUI and driving up the wrong way on the highway, high is what a daughter does for her father??? When was the last time he drove up the wrong way of a highway? On second thought, he probably did, while high, at around 4 in the morning when there was no one there. LIke father, like daughter. I have yet to see him show any concern about recent pics of his daughter where she looks like she has a serious eating disorder or coke/meth addiction, but he wants to blame the media/paparazzi for her problems. No surprise, many of the paps are jerks - they'll hound celebrities and stick their cameras any where they can fit them....so fight back and take them to court. In the meantime, if he cares at all about his daughter, he'd take a closer look at home.

A little while ago, some bio on Nicole described her as a throw away kid....no one cared about her including her father. Some role model he is as a father.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments