« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Subway

Won't Throw Phelps

Back in Water

2/7/2009 2:25 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Michael PhelpsEveryone knows the first rule of marketing is to know your audience -- the kind of audience that orders two foot longs and a bag of chips a little past 4:20 each day.

Either way, Subway has decided not to ditch Michael Phelps following his incident with the device that's generally sold "for tobacco use only."

Subway says "Like most Americans, and like Michael Phelps himself, we were disappointed in his behavior. Also like most Americans, we accept his apology. Moving forward, he remains in our plans."

At least Michael knows where he can get his next meal, even if it isn't a bowl of Kellogg's cereal.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

missheather

I'm glad Subway is keepin' him. Subway is my favortite eating dive.

socalsurfer101

Good job Subway!!! The rest of you "Perfect People" need to get over it. If he had gotten drunk you would let it slide. He smoked a bowl or two or... Did he get in a car accident and hurt someone? Did he start a fight? Did he say hurtful and derogatory things about someone? I would rather have a smoker around me over a drinker any time.

Rocketman23

Why would anybody frequent a sponsor JUST because a celebrity endorses it? Phelps has been acting like a partyboy since the Olympics ended. I am sure this was not the first time he smoked pot. What about dating strippers? If you can't live up to being some sort of god that people make you out to be, don't sign with wholesome endorsers. Why deal with the backlash later? How much money do you need? I would never want to be felt responsible for kids who look up to me if I knew that I could not provide such an image.

Angel

Who Cares!! Good for SUBWAY and for Phelps! Weed is not the big deal that people w/ poles up their yayas try to make it out to be. Hey, I know...try removing the pole from your bum and replace it w/ a bong. You'll thank me later!

Bex

Of course you pathetic potheads will defend him and continue to frequent Subway. You have no brains because you fried them with dope. You are them same idiots who voted for Obama. You live in mama's basement and burn holes in everything. This tool Phelps was a role model for kids. But that's all over your teeny little heads. You couldn't possibly understand how decent people would not agree with Subway keeping him. You are just a wart on society's azz. Hopefully, the lot of you will get stoned and go crash your car into a big tree, then we won't have to read your senseless posts anymore.

Ugh

Gosh, Burn In Hell...sounds like you need to smoke a blunt (or two). And perhaps get laid.

nick

Both Carl Sagan and Louis Armstrong smoked pot every day and they were geniuses.

Bex

Let me tell you a thing or two about a thing or two....this isn't the first time he got high. It's the first time he got caught. First time dopers smoke joints. Bongs are for serious drug addicts. There are ways around drug tests. He is hardcore.

nick

Let me tell you a thing or two about a thing or two....Mr. Phelps could not have won 8 gold medals if he was a hardcore pothaed. I've been to many parties where bongs were passed around to both the regulars and the first timers. Big deal. Either way it's none of our business what he does in his private life.

Bex

bob...well, you sure aren't a genius...

nick

Bex...I don't believe your application to MENSA was approved either.

maggot

THROWW THE BEAATCH IN JAIL.....THINK ABOUT EVERYONE ELSE WHO GOT CAGHT WITH DRUGS THEY ROT IN JAIL..

Angie

Good For Subway!!!! If He was photographed holding a bottle of scotch no one would make a big deal... Hard liquor ruins more lives than pot ever will.

Bex

As a matter of fact, it was. At least I have the self respect to capitalize my name!

junebug3616

subaway knows that the economy is screwed and they cant afford to lose any business

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments