Dr. Murray

Lawyers Up

for Wrongful Death Suit

4/13/2010 10:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Conrad MurrayDr. Conrad Murray is already planning his legal strategy in a Michael Jackson wrongful death case ... TMZ has learned.

Dr. Murray, we're told, has already hired a civil lawyer, Charles Peckham, who handles medical board cases and wrongful death lawsuits.

We've learned Peckham has already been in touch with Dr. Murray's malpractice insurance carrier, and it turns out to be a tricky situation.

Sources connected with Dr. Murray's defense tell TMZ Dr. Murray had a malpractice policy issued in Texas that covered his medical practices in Texas and Nevada.

Here's the rub.  Dr. Murray did not have a medical practice in California, which is a prerequisite for his malpractice coverage.  So Dr. Murray's position is that he first saw  Michael Jackson as a Nevada patient and what he did for him in L.A. was merely an extension of the Nevada treatment.

We've learned the malpractice policy would only cover civil litigation, not criminal.  In the event the doctor is sued for wrongful death -- and Joe Jackson promises that will happen soon -- Murray expects the policy would cover attorney's fees and any judgment.

One source told TMZ, "We fully expect the insurance company would cover such costs."

gimmeabreak

Maybe he did accidentally kill him, but is that really such a bad thing? MJ was an unhappy and deeply disturbed man who likely was a pedophile, wether he acted on those feeling or not. TEAM MURRAY FTW!

Just accept it. MJ's finally found the peace that eluded him during his unhappy life. RIP

tone

Gimme a break! Lee lee and the rest! You guys are hilarious! One good laugh to start my day. I have to get to work now.

Lee lee

@ gimme a break...finally.....we kinda make Peace. Yay!!! I do remember Michael telling Oprah that he had Vitiligo but he didn't want to get into his medical issues. Again, thats not to say that he didn't have Lupus, but I don't remember anyone asking him. I can't imagine how hard it must have been for him to have vitiligo. Imagine your self confidence. A man of color, turning white. That poor Man had to endure so much, it breaks my heart.At the end of the day we have learned much and discovered nothing. Michael Joe Jackson is in death what he was in life.....A mystery. Medical history aside, Michael Joe Jackson was the Best Entertainer that ever lived.

gimme a break!

this is hilarious... f*ck is censored or not? when i write it w/ caps lock on it's not but when i dont it is..?
what the heck?

Lee lee

Great, thanks tone....off you go. Careful your ego doesn't smack you on the way out!

Lee lee

I didn't write that tone.....i thought the cloning had stopped!

gimme a break!

yes i know it must've been terrible for him... :(
and on top of that having ppl accusing u of denying ur race... when u have constantly said how proud u are of it...and did everything in ur power to support ur ppl... why can this world just see what a wonderful person he has always been and stop talking **** about him? where is the justice goddammit!?!

gimme a break!

*cant
dont u just love typos? grrrrrr

gimmeabreak

MJ was such a freak he makes Howard Hughes seem well adjusted by comparison... It's over now, just accept it. RIP

"u are one SICK puppy u know that?!?" - Posted at 7:04 AM on Apr 13, 2010 by gimme a break!

I most certainly am not! Not when you compare me to MJ! ;)

Lee lee

Did anyone ever consider that Michael had His Eyes, lips and scalp tattooed because he had no pigmentation left in his skin. I Imagine he probably looked albino. We were so quick to judge. If only we walked in his shoes for a day.

gimme a break!

Posted at 7:20 AM on Apr 13, 2010 by gimmeabreak

u are right... my bad... u are A BIG SICKO... and a disturbed personality and if u add to that the fact that u are a misinformed loser... oh god... it sucks to be u...

i've never heard of this MJ character that u are describing... or are those YOUR initials?

Lee lee

I'm out.

gimmeabreak

How can you say MJ wasn't a junkie? Gimme a break, his insomnia was self induced. He'd binged on caffeine laden soda throughout the day then he'd use other drugs to bring him back down so he could sleep at night. Routinely taking one drug, an upper (caffeine) to pep yourself up then other drugs, downers to mellow yourself out, that's exactly what junkies do.

"BROWN: Joining me now, Dr. Drew Pinsky, who is professor of psychiatry at the Keck School of Medicine at USC. He's also host of executive producer of "Celebrity Rehab" on VH-1.

Dr. Drew, good to see you.

DR. DREW PINSKY, AUTHOR, "CRACKED: PUTTING BROKEN LIVES TOGETHER AGAIN": Hey, Campbell. Appreciate it.

BROWN: Let's go through this timeline, first of all. This was from the coroner's preliminary report.

And I just want people to hear this -- 1:30 a.m., Murray gives 10 milligrams of Valium -- 2:00 a.m., he injects Jackson with two milligrams of the anti-anxiety drug Ativan -- 3:00 a.m., Murray then administers two milligrams of the sedative Versed -- 5:00 a.m., he administers another two milligrams of Ativan -- 7:00 a.m., Murray gave Jackson yet another two milligrams of Versed.

And, at 10:40 a.m., Murray administered 25 milligrams of Propofol -- quote -- "after repeated demands, requests" from Jackson.

I mean, I can't -- that's one day. It's kind of a mind-blowing amount of drugs here, Drew. What effect does that have on a patient?

PINSKY: It's truly a mind-blowing amount.

It's also clear that that is not the first time he has received that kind of medication, those sorts of doses, because the fact, if -- if I wanted to take down a large animal, a pachyderm, I would load it just about with probably what he got there, four milligrams of Lorazepam, a couple milligrams of Versed. That would take down almost anything and anybody.

That means he was already extremely tolerant of those substances, possibly in withdrawal. And it was inadequate to stop him in his tracks. These medicines were not just given orally. These were given intravenously. These are massive doses.

On top of that, at his bedside, they found Valium, Klonopin, Restoril, other benzodiazepines called -- these so-called somebody -- you heard somebody refer to these as downers. These are all medications that will induce sleep.

When we want to take down a large male in let's say, at a locked psychiatric unit who's agitated and aggressive, we would give him two milligrams of Ativan by shot. He received four milligrams over a very short period of time. Then on top of that took Propofol which is a relative of barbiturate, and you never use those medicines together. To think that Propofol was the lethal injection is a little bit of a misrepresentation, I think, because any use of Propofol outside of a hospital is potentially lethal.

BROWN: Well, I was going to say, and how can, with all of these drugs in his system, how you could even identify Propofol as the one that actually killed him?

PINSKY: I don't think you can. I don't know why that headline is being promoted the way it is. Because the fact is just that slurry of those high doses of benzodiazepine even with a small dose of Propofol is enough to make somebody stop breathing. In fact, there's sort of a recipe for that.

BROWN: So --

PINSKY: I think it's really the combination that really did him in.

BROWN: Drew, is there any -- just to go back to this -- I think I know the answer. But is there any responsible doctor that you know of that would have prescribed this combination, this quantity of drugs to a patient?

PINSKY: Well, I actually feel very sad for Dr. Murray. I mean, the fact it's clear he went into territory that he didn't fully understand. The idea of giving an addict, somebody with a history of addiction, IV Ativan, I must tell you is outlandish. That's absolutely not what an addict needs. And then to allow the patient determine the medicines that they're going to receive, that's a very disturbed situation.

He was in there alone way over his head. I really feel bad for the guy, but there needs to be a team of people with psychiatric expertise, with addiction expertise, with anesthesia expertise and also with cardiology and monitoring expertise as well. But a single doctor by himself simply could not have managed a situation like this.

And then to tiptoe in with these massive doses of medication, irregardless of the fact that he may have been receiving them for some time, which undoubtedly he was. I mean, to be able to tolerate that dose of medication, he must have been receiving this stuff for some quite some time.

BROWN: Let me ask you, though. PINSKY: It's still just --

BROWN: Who's responsible? Because we're also hearing, you know, he begged. We know he begged at least one nurse for Propofol specifically in the weeks before his death, offering tens of thousands of dollars. And even this coroner's report says Dr. Murray gave him Propofol after -- I read that quote, after repeated demands and requests from Jackson when you've treated abusers for years. Who do you think is responsible?

PINSKY: Yes.

BROWN: I mean, is it Michael or is it the doctor?

PINSKY: Well, Michael, to my eye, to my understanding based on what we're hearing so far, died of addiction. And the fact is, certainly the addict plays some responsibility in this. But we, as physicians, need to not cave into the demand of addicts. And if we can't withstand their demands, we have no business taking care of a patient like that.

This is a situation where -- that shows really when a power and balance that you set up in a physician/patient relationship, the relationship is adulterated, it's tainted. This is why people with a lot of money and a lot of power give bad medical care. They think they're getting special care but they end up getting substandard care.

There's a reason the standard of care is the standard of care because it's the best. If you demand something other than that, the fact is you're more likely to get something substandard if anything else. And particularly if the patient is determining what it is that the physician should be doing, that's an adulterated situation and that's a situation that's going to go bad for the patient.

BROWN: Dr. Drew Pinsky for us tonight. Drew, appreciate your time as always."

JLS

I have a feeling there won't be justice for MJ. At least not enough! Murray should have been charged with murder and the DA fluffed it up and put a bow on it. That said, why not bankrupt this creep. That's the only other difficulty we can impose on him if not jail. I cannot tell you how little I think of this man. The fact that Nevada and Texas don't do something about him sooner, rather than later, is astounding to me! He could kill someone else.

mspaap

Every dancer has off moments during their performances. The man was overworked and over medicated by the quack he trusted to take care of him. Murray and his attorney(s) will write a book for profit only. You don't have to be a premed student to realize its wrong to administer a heart stopping drug, to a patient, outside an hospital enviroment,without medical equipment on hand, to help restart the patients heart. Also, ordinary people with no medical training know to dial 911 right away when a person is unconcious! That is unless you wanted them to die. Only a heartless person, no pun intended, would cause a person to die then say the patient killed himself. The coroner said a medical professional administered the drugs that killed Michael Jackson. Michael Jackson trusted Murray because he was a HEART doctor He didn't pay him to come kill him. If Michael wanted to die he didn't need Murray to do it. Murray knows a dead man can't talk. He had enough time to pump all the drugs he wanted into Michael Jackson when he was sedated. Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2010/04/06/michael-jackson-dr-conrad-murray-propofol-eyes/#comments#ixzz0llUQAlkd

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2009/09/21/jackson-wobbles-during-this-is-it-rehearsal/#ixzz0llVyMwuk