Homeless Man: I Warned Cruz's Wife of Murder Plot

5/20/2010 4:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

One of the homeless men cops worked with to bust former Food Network host Juan-Carlos Cruz says he warned Cruz's wife, Jennifer Campbell, that he had been paid to kill her.

Juan-Carlos Cruz

David Walters -- aka Big Dave -- one of the men who told TMZ about the alleged murder-for-hire plot -- now tells us two days before he and his homeless friends informed cops about the plot, he went to the location where Cruz allegedly said Dave could find Campbell -- a private training facility in Westwood, CA.

Dave says at around 5 PM he showed up at the building, spotted Campbell and told her, "I've been hired to kill you, but I'm not gonna do it."  Dave says Campbell responded, "That's not true.  I don't know what you're talking about."  Dave retorted, "Yes it is."  Dave says Campbell then kicked him in the stomach and ran from the building."

Cruz was arrested a week ago and then charged with attempted murder and solicitation of murder.

We've learned the 3 homeless men never told cops about Big Dave's meeting with Campbell.  But the men say they never told Santa Monica detectives the story because the cops never asked.

TMZ broke the story that Campbell told people she was suicidal over the couple's inability to have children -- but could not take her own life because of her deeply held religious belief that suicide is a mortal sin.  We're told this could have been a murder/suicide concocted by Cruz to fulfill his wife's wishes.

Dawn

Most people would be thankful to get a heads up on plot to murder them, unless there's something else going on... Crazy people! I hope that they NEVER get to be parents.

donna

If someone told me that they'd been hired to kill me but they're not going to do it, I'd kick them in the stomach and run too. Yikes!

As far as the proposed motive...right and I'm the pope.

Phreaky

Hasn't this idiot ever heard of adoption, or was she too good for that? Ridiculous...

truthBtold

There are just far to many children in the world who need family, love & homes for this to happen, however children do not need this type of emotional instability in their live ether. Such a shame

Jivionyhilter

When I read your entire comments then I really impress with your site.There are good information you share here . Thanks for sharing information.

Jivionyhilter

I have checked out this site and I see that your products and services are very unique and reliable. I would like to show this site to my friends to check them out as well.

Rhonda

Balls/KOOKY/SkunkJuice
Pathetic losers

Rhonda

Balls/KOOKY/SkunkJuice
Pathetic losers

6one9

Ya never know ````````````````` This ALL could be truth!!
WHY don't they ADOPT? ahhhhhhhhhh Happens every day in America
The judge needs to put him and his wife ```` in treatment & and probation for him.

Barb

I don't believe that for one second.

electriczipper

she wasnt going to commit suicide because she couldnt have children,,she was going to kill herself because she always wanted to be a banker

Becky

There just has to be more to this than has come out. What is the next step in the legal process?

wisegirl

Oh Right, he was trying to fulfill her wishes by having a homeless man cut her throat with a box cutter!? I can't believe anyone buys that! This s*** bag just wanted her dead and wanted her to suffer! If she was suicidal and he wanted to make a death pact with her, wouldn't he have killed her in a gentler way? I can't believe TMZ is even printing this perposterous motive!

Fallopia Lopez

I think a collection should be taken up to get Big Dave back on his feet. That his ethics surpassed his poverty is something to be recognized and rewarded.

Charlene

What is going on in our society these people that manage to deliver something that is obvious a need to prepare a descent meal is being tamper with unkind behavior shame on you you just have an hard time to focus on what you really have done

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments