Dave Chappelle

Deemed 'Safety Risk'

on Private Jet

7/4/2010 8:04 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

A private jet carrying comedian Dave Chappelle made an emergency landing in Pittsburgh last night because the pilot couldn't handle Chappelle's erratic behavior, TMZ has learned.

0703-dave-chapelle-tmz-ex-wide-credit-1
A source extremely familiar with the incident tells TMZ Chappelle boarded a private jet in New Jersey last night bound for Ohio -- where the actor lives.

During the flight, we're told Dave "freaked out" and refused to put his seat belt on. Then -- according to sources -- Dave repeatedly walked into the cockpit, asking how much longer the flight would be, and started grabbing the pilot's arms.

Sources say the pilot determined Chappelle was a safety risk and diverted the plane to Pittsburgh.

We're told Chappelle then checked into a nearby hotel for the night. Sources at the hotel tell us Dave has been telling hotel employees he wanted to rent a car to drive back to Ohio ... only he couldn't remember where he lived.

Chappelle was spotted wandering out of the hotel early this morning.

A rep for Chappelle explains the incident to TMZ by saying Dave really needed to use the restroom -- he ate something that didn't sit well -- and the bathroom on the plane was "not the kind he needed."

coolpeeps

I guess the powers that be (The Media) is back at it again, trying to make Dave look crazy? You can't believe everything that u read people!

ED

...IT'S MUDD BUTT....

Bud Reeferman

Not the kind of bathroom he needed?

Andrew

Cocaine's a hell of a drug

THIN LIZZY

Old boy said too much a couple of years back, he even stepped out of the public eye but I guess it don't matter- you want to be a celebrity? Better learn the do's and don't and watcha gonna do cuz once your in there is no out.

Sally

Chappelle is nothing but a middle age crack head. Why don't the Ohio cops bust the dealers going to his farm in Ohio to supply him with drugs?

rico2222

what do u expect thats par for the nutjob

Mike

Conspiricy therorey... Don't believe the hype.... They want you to think that Dave Chappele is crazy..... LIES LIES LIES Nothing wrong with him... They proberly was trying to kill him. For speaking out about How Hollywood is sick.. Don't believe the media THEY WILL BUILD YOU UP AND DESTROY YOUR IMAGE... LIES LIES LIES DAVE HAVE GOOD SINCE AND HE KNOWS WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT........... BELIEVE THAT.....

My New Name

You know, this sounds VERY much like a VERY few actions being blown WAY out of proportion. I have seen people do that many times.

I was in the hospital once and they gave me a med to which I had a reaction (not a narcotic). I got out of my bed and went to the nurses' station to ask a question, (I couldn't find the beeper) and when I went back to my room, because I was wheeled into that room on a gurney and had not seen which room was mine from the perspective of the hall, I got confused and walked into another patient's room. I said, "Excuse me, I'm sorry" to the lady, I only got right inside the door, of course, and didn't even go all the way into the room, but I promptly shut the door and went to the room next door, which was mine. She didn't seem upset. No big deal.

Weeks later, I had to get those medical records for an insurance thing, and when I read the things those medical people had written about me I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT. EVERY little move I made was exaggerated into something it wasn't.

On those records, my question to the nurse, was not, "Patient asked blah blah blah." It was, "Patient continuously came to nurses' station with nonsensical questions." I had gone ONCE, and my nonsensical question was that I was getting really nauseated right after they gave me a blood pressure medication for the first time and I wondered if they could contact my doctor to see if that was a normal side effect.

Also on my records, my mistake of going into the room next door to mine became, "Patient was bothering other patients by going in and out of their rooms while wandering the halls."

I was furious. I can EASILY see the elements in this story which could have been harmless activities that have been blown out of proportion, like "Dave repeatedly walked into the ****pit..." Did he, or did he really just go in once?

Also, he was "...asking how much longer the flight would be..." Ok. Is that really unexplainable behavior? I think I have asked that question on flights, too.

Then there is the kicker, "...and started grabbing the pilot's arms." Really? Or did he simply touch the pilot's arm once?

Of course, NO ONE should be going into the ****pit, and it is the staff of the airlines that is at fault that a passenger was even able to access the ****pit. How did he even get INTO the ****pit. Where was the airplane staff? There should have been about three flight attendants deep that he would have had to go through to encroach the ****pit.

This story is FULL OF HOLES. I'm not buying a word of it.

J

Poor Dave. I hope he gets better soon. Sad to see such a true comic genius struggle with mental illness. That's no joke. My heart and prayers go out to him.

Lucy

he had "mud butt"

JINAP

TO # 37 KNOW YOUR FACTS CAUSE THERE ARE BLACK PILOTS FLYING AIRPLANES AND SOME OF THEM ARE BLACK WOMEN AND WHITE.

StevenX

Ohhhhhh...he needed the kind of bathroom with a crack pipe in it!

blueidblondie

I guess all of those Tyrone Biggums skits must of caught up w/ Dave.. "I don't know if you know this man, but I smoke rocks." lol

blueidblondie

Oh, and he could go in the co ckpit because it was a private jet.. Different ballgame when you rent a private jet, or are riding in a your own private jet (not sure which it is in this case) than it is on a commercial aircraft (ae: Boeing). Areas like the co ckpit of a private jet are more accessible/personal than they are (virtually impossible to access, by a passenger) in commercial aircraft.