'American Idol' Interested in Jessica Simpson

7/28/2010 6:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Jessica Simpson has had "several meetings" with the brass at "American Idol" in the hopes of taking over Simon Cowell's judging duties ... and sources involved tell TMZ there's "mutual interest."

0728_Jessica_Simpson_idol_getty_bn

We're told "Idol" is expected to make an official announcement regarding the judge situation sometime around the beginning of September.

So far, FOX has no comment on the situation.

Wardman3

I have a feeling that Nigel Lythgoe is going to fire everyone and start up a whole new panel. He has nothing to lose by doing this because losing Simon Cowell is going to hurt the show big time, so he might as well go for it and revamp the whole panel.

London

Oh yeah because she is such a successful music artist herself. PEOPLE PLEASE!! That girl would not know talent if it smacked her in the face. She has lived her life with people telling her she has talent when what they should have done is said here honey become an actress -- there is always B grade movies she could do.
And let's not mention anything she touches gets F'ed up so bad it quickly fades away.

susan

i like her, but she seems to lack alittle in the common since catagory. She didn't even know what a kink in the hose meant. I just don't know if she'll know what she is talking about to the contestants or if she is putting on a show, if you know what i mean. Good luck anyways!

Stacey

JESSICA CANT EVEN DECIDE ON WHAT KIND OF MUSIC TO SING HOW CAN SHE JUDGE PEOPLE EEP!!!!

JM

If she is a Judge.. there is NO WAY I will watch it. Stisk with Bret Michaels

MAXny

WTF, this b/i/t/c/h can't sing either. The blind leading the blind!

HarlotO'Hara

i don't think they should even try to replace simon. but if they do i vote for harry connick, jr.

CJ

You've got to be friggin kidding me!

Leighanne

Oh Hell No!!!! If she becomes a judge I will NOT watch ever again.....

selena

please
she has nothing going for her
miss chicken of the sea
no talent whatsoever !
If this is true, it is the end of the show
she is a horrible overwrought singer

Throwback kid

This will kill the show, Jessica fails in everything related to show business. Her pop career failed, her acting career failed (anyone see Major Movie Star?) and her country career failed. She couldn't even remember the words to her own songs at cookouts. This should be no different for Jes.

Murf

Jessica Simpson - IT THIS A JOKE? It's making me laugh my ass off.

J. Hoffman

How does she qualify? Is AI going to prepre every word she would be saying? If the desk is higher than her breasts, what good would she be as a judge? In other words, I would think Pee Wee Herman be a better person to fill Simon's seat

LLM

I absolutely would stop watching American Idol if Jessica Simpson was a judge. You got to be kidding me. She is so stupid and boring. There are A LOT more people out there much more fund to watch & that would make great judges. Don't do it!!

J Simp

Jessica would be an awesome Judge on AI. I hope they offer and she takes it.