'American Idol' Judges

Dangerous Strangers

8/10/2010 10:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Sources connected with "American Idol" tell TMZ ... execs on the show recklessly rolled the dice by choosing Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler as the new judges.

Judges
Our "A.I." spies tell us producers have never put Lopez, Tyler and Randy Jackson in the same room to see if they have the right chemistry.  As one source put it, "It's ridiculous not to road test these people before committing ... it's insane."

We're told before choosing Simon Cowell, Paula Abdul and Randy Jackson, Exec Producer Nigel Lythgoe organized dinners with the three prospective judges, to see how they meshed.  We're told Nigel even had Simon and Randy go to a few strip clubs together ... to see how they got along.
FOX, we're told, was adamantly opposed to Paula because the Network felt she was "washed up," but Nigel convinced the execs it was all about the "magic" between the three.

Turns out ... there's still time.  High level sources tell us the deals with Lopez and Tyler still haven't been signed, and auditions with the judges are just a month away.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

SonnyDelite

First!

ender0x24

Jennifer Lopez? she hasn't been relevant for how many years?

Steven Tyler? This guy is supposed to replace Simon as the semi-lovable cold-hearted dou.che bag?

Then there's Randy's tired shtick.

Not sure if I'll be tuning in or not.

Googie

WILL NOT WATCH IF JENNIFER LOPEZ IS A JUDGE. The woman can't sing, definitely cannot act and she thinks she's all that. She is not. I'd prefer Jessica Simpson. Anyone, but Lopez.

thehoch

Can't stand Jennifer Lopez. If she is a judge, I will not watch, and I have been watching the show from day one.

Nothing personal, she is talented, but this is not her venue. They need to find someone to replace Simon first and foremost. And Steven Tyler isn't it either. I don't know where they turn but I know a stinker when I hear it. You heard it here first, if these two are the new judges, this will be the last season for Idol.

munhasen

This will be interesting, because right now J. Lo and Tyler's reputations are based on their talent and their past. Now they will be cast in a different light and they may completely change the way we see them (in a positive light) and as long as J. Lo is not a Paula Abdul and Tyler is a little more like Simon...or better they both be Cowells.

I hope J. Lo is a bitch and Tyler a an a-hole. This is what A.I. needs. For me the new judges are starting over and their pasts be damned. Except for necessary successful musical career part when defending themselves against moronic contestants who challenge them whey they demand ("What makes you qualified to be a judge?!?!?!"

munhasen

Who cares if J. Lo is a great singer or not, they had Abdul on for what 8 or 9 seasons and they did pretty well. And Jackson and Cowell aren't even singers. They need to be great judges and have good chemistry...putting Ellen and Kara on were the worst decisions AI made...no chemistry at all with ANY of the judges.

But AI needs to scratch one "guiding principle" that Cowell drove through nearly all of the seasons "We're looking for someone unique." That's a HORRIBLE idea!! The public isn't looking for Fantasia Barrinos, Reuben Studdards, Taylor Hicks, or really even Adam Laberts (those he's been doing pretty well lately, but he will be forgotten).

They need mainstreams and/or crossovers like Carrie Underwood, Kelley Clarkson, Chris Daughtry, and Clay Aikens. They made the show popular and appealing and they sold tens of millions of records. "Unique" is for underground bands and singers...nothing against them, but not for American Idol. In Britain it was called "Pop Idol" "POP"....as in "POPular"

And the show's judging should be more like "Dancing With the Stars": combination of judge and viewers all throughout the show. The viewers on Idol (and even sometimes the judges early on in the audition rounds) got rid of so many great mainstream singers that would have sold millions, but now that they went through Idol, their careers are doomed.

wasted days and wasted nights

Idol must be stunting with this announcement. J-Lo, sure, fine, I see it, a new Paula from the block. But Steven? I dig Aerosmith, but having your frontman judge a talent show on television seems like a bad sit-com plot.

Ann

Who cares??? The show has lost it's edge. They did fine with Simon, Paula and Randy. Then they had to go and mess it up. Such fools!! Idol will never recover from the loss of Paula and Simon.

Fiama

Strip clubs? Is he insane? And this pig is coming back? I'm sick to my stomach and I wonder what the parents of all the kids who will audition must think. Disgusting and offensive.

hfn

well i am glad to hear they aren't signed, maybe they can still change it to jessica simpson instead. i like steven he's not washed up!?!?!?!? but jlo? i won't be watching if it really is her, she is was full of herself. btw, if paula's leaving hurt ai any then why wouldn't you hire another ditz to replace her with? we wanna be entertained we are not mirrors for jlo to view herself:(

Mee

Kiss good bye to Amer. Idol
Everything J Lo touches goes down the tube,
ever since she stole Mark Anthony & turned her back on her own community.

bill

ou guys clearly have missed the bus here, Steven Tyler is a joke, and he is a liar when it comes to anything.This last yeaR HE HAS BEEN SO wishy washy.You guys know that Sean Farnham from Fox sports is the next Idol judge.Maybe you should hire me for some accurate reporting.

tracker

news flash.....we said we loved paula from day 1.also said show was done without her...........learn from what the real american voters are telling you.!

CHRIS

GET RID OF RANDY HE SUCKS I TURN IT OFF EVERYTIME HE TALKS HE DOESN'T HAVE A CLUE, AND IF THEY PUT JENNNIFER LOPEZ ON FORGET IT I'M DONE. AND THEY SHOULD HAVE KEEP KARA SHE KNOWS WHAT SHE TALKING ABOUT.

Tony

I keep thinking I'm having a bad dream and when I wake up this will all be gone. If the execs put Lopez and Tayler on there as judges it's over and done for AL. Course it didn't have far do go anyway so maybe this will work out best. When it finally implodes it won't be taking any quality people down with it. Maybe that's what the execs are thinking. Get out of there Randy while the getting is good.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments