'Sister Wives' Bigamy Case -- The Stats Don't Lie

10/8/2010 9:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Kody Brown better not have any skeletons in his many closets ... because a TMZ review of Utah bigamy cases reveals no one -- at least no one we could find -- has ever been prosecuted for bigamy in recent times ... unless the perp was suspected of a collateral crime such as child endangerment.

Sister Wives
Law enforcement sources tell us there are so many polygamous families in Utah, that officials simply don't have the resources to go after all of them ... unless they're made aware of a more serious crime ... such as a the taking of a child bride, false imprisonment or anything violent.

As we previously reported, the Brown family -- featured on the TLC show "Sister Wives" -- is currently at the center of a bigamy investigation ... and could face up to 5 years in prison if convicted.

The case is currently in the hands of the Utah County Attorney's office -- and the guy in charge, Jeff Buhman, tells us, "In my experience ... there has never been a traditional polygamist family charged with the sole crime of bigamy."

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

JLS

Utah is a horror. Been there and it's chilling the grip the Mormon church has on day to day life. The Church of Latter Day Saints is a CULT that is remarkably unkind to women, their self esteem and their day to day life. It's awful. I'm not surprised they have so many polygamists they can't prosecute all of them but then again, what good is having this law if you can't enforce it???

Phreaky

#1 Utah is beautiful and I have many relatives there. Not everyone there is Mormon, and if you just go about your life, you aren't affected by them.
Also, instead of yelling about them not being able to prosecute all of them, maybe you should realize that this guy is only married to one woman. What he is doing is no different than the millions of men in this country that have a wife and kids at home, and have a girlfriend on the side. The only difference is in this case, they all know about each other and decided to live together. He should be prosecuted for that? Maybe we should just start prosecuting ignorant people too. You should hide.

Cartman

Perversion seems to be the order of the day.

Personally I can't want until polygamist gay inter-species marriages are considered normal. Everybody should be allowed to add a dog to a gay marriage.

MEnMyOpInIOn

It blows my mind at those types of relationships. But I will not condem anyone for anything they do rather or not I agree with it!! If they are fine with what they are doing then I say let it be...that is their decision. It is not up to us to decide what is right or wrong or who is right or wrong for that matter, truth is None of us really know ourselves. We just think we do!! I, personally, could not share my hubby with anyone.
One thing I don't understand is, why does he get to have all the fun?? The three of those women are to be faithful to him, yet he has 3 wives and a GF?? Why can't they have BF'S or even other husbands?? Don't make sense to me at all. IF they are by their own admission "Multiplying their love" then they should all have the advantage of doing so. HEHE Just me and my opinion.

Mee

Bland people
WHAT CAN THEY DO TO GET US HOWLING AT THE MOON???

Lynn M

Posted at 12:55 AM on Oct 8, 2010 by JLS

Utah was settled by the LDS when they were forced out of the Eastern states by religious bigots. They thought they had finally found a place here they could practice their faith without being persecuted. Alas, it was not to be as the US expanded westward.

I've spent a lot of time in Utah. The people are great. As for the "cult" label, it is absurd. Just because you don't agree with their beliefs does not make them a "cult". I will never understand the fear mongering surrounding the LDS religion.

I was raised Mormon but have chosen not to practice. The women in my family are strong, opinionated, and well-educated. They are often more dedicated to the church and its beliefs than their husbands. Most LDS are good, honest, law-abiding, family oriented people. If you don't believe, then so be it.

Time for some religious tolerance. This bigotry is disturbing. It needs to end.

Briggy_haarp

Tell us something we don`t know.MORMON trail? did you`all just fall off the turnup wagon?WTF?

Kandace

First if you look into Mormon history the only reason these pervs get several wifes is because the founder was caught cheating on his wife and told her it was what God told him to do and she believed him, hence plural marriage was born... These men are disgusting I watched this show the other night for the first time and actually thought I was going to throw up. I haven't figured out what this a#$hole does for work, but I did hear mention how all the wifes have jobs, clearly his first three wifes are getting long in the tooth and he is looking for younger stuff. This guy is gross and makes me sick as hell. God help those children.

Lynn M

I doubt Kody has anything but the possible bigamy charge to worry about. I feel that this family was carefully chosen to be a test case based on the same arguments used by the gay marriage promoters. I find it interesting that many gay marriage supporters find polygamous marriages immoral. It just shows that today's marriage issues are complex, emotional issues based on personal values.

msangelina

These people are repulsive.

Briggy_haarp

Why not take the fat kid off two and a half man? and place in over there on that show... a fat farm for mormons.KID will never see DIME one of the CBS LOOT anyway judge big pants spent it all on harvey`s show?.

Y do he got

Plus the two and ahalf fat kid`s face is photo shopped onto thier faces anyway OR they are all clones

Lynn M

Posted at 2:40 AM on Oct 8, 2010 by Kandace

I have studied church history, read the journals of polygamist family members in the 1800's, listened to the stories of children of these polygamists (they were in their 90's back in the 1960...'s),read many books including "Under The Banner of Heaven", which was full of inaccuracies, if not outright lies, and another book (can't remember the title), written by a bitter, ex-Mormon woman, which revealed the temple ceremonies.

I don't practice the religion but I do get tired of the ignorance. The LDS are extremely conservative and have always been that way. The claims about Joseph Smith made in "Under the Banner of Heaven" are conjecture by the author based on journals and letters of a group fighting with each other over leadership within the church. His bias against the early church and its leadership is evident throughout the book. His conclusions always side on the non-LDS point of view, that everything that occurred was their fault. I also found his accounts, stated as historical fact, upon further research, were inaccurate. This was a huge flag for me.

Bottom line, it doesn't really matter if the faith is based on made up stories. The LDS church has as much right to exist as any other religion in the US.

As for Kody and his wives, they seem like pretty nice, decent people to me. I have no desire to live in a polygamist relationship but I'm not going to say nasty things about them. There are a lot more messed-up relationships in this world than polygamous ones.

Janet

The only people that I feel bad for are the three new children of the girlfriend, I cant even imagine after a few months of seeing a man telling my daughter, hey guess what? I have met a great guy that we are going to move in with the only catch is he has 57 other people living in the house. If the women want to get dogged thats their choice but the kids have no say. Kody is nasty and has these women worshiping him. Hopefully one of them will wake up one day and cut his balls off.

urbusted

You know, I don't particularly agree with their lifestyle, but I it's their business. They are all adults and can do what they want. I wonder why they are being investigated for bigamy when they said on their show only the first wife is legally married to the husband. The rest were married in the church, but no marriage license. So how can they be bigamists if legally there is only one wife?

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments