'Sister Wives' Bigamy Case -- The Stats Don't Lie

10/8/2010 9:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Kody Brown better not have any skeletons in his many closets ... because a TMZ review of Utah bigamy cases reveals no one -- at least no one we could find -- has ever been prosecuted for bigamy in recent times ... unless the perp was suspected of a collateral crime such as child endangerment.

Sister Wives
Law enforcement sources tell us there are so many polygamous families in Utah, that officials simply don't have the resources to go after all of them ... unless they're made aware of a more serious crime ... such as a the taking of a child bride, false imprisonment or anything violent.

As we previously reported, the Brown family -- featured on the TLC show "Sister Wives" -- is currently at the center of a bigamy investigation ... and could face up to 5 years in prison if convicted.

The case is currently in the hands of the Utah County Attorney's office -- and the guy in charge, Jeff Buhman, tells us, "In my experience ... there has never been a traditional polygamist family charged with the sole crime of bigamy."

Shaydie

He always has this nasty smile on his face like the cat who just swallowed the canary.

tlynn

The Train!

this investigation is harrassment, pure and simple. they have no evidence--other than polygamy--and they are going to use it to invade the privacy of this family to dig for something else to prosecute him (or them) for. if they want to go after polygamists, fine, but go after ALL of them.

(TV shows are edited--they are products and therefore do not constitute a waiver of the privacy rights of the individuals depicted, so don't tell me that they have no privacy because they're on TV, even so-called "reality TV.)

Judy

"25. Barbie - Are you stupid, slow, retarded or a wannabe sister wife? The innocent children are what concerns people!! These are innocent children being forced into a lifestyle & religion that some perverted loser made up himself. The women who follow this man or any other Utah cult are truly pathetic people, you can't call them mother's because no mother I know would do this to their child. If these pathetic women want to live with this POS and his pathetic in home *****, spay the women and neuter the man and let them have at it!!

Posted at 10:54 AM on Oct 8, 2010 by tlynn"

Are you stupid, slow or retarded? I'm sure those kids are much better off than a lot of kids today. Quite frankly, I'm more concerned about altar boys that are forced to work in the Catholic church and end up being victims of years of sexual abuse that the Catholic Church tried to cover up.

day80

Let's get this part out in the open.

THEY ARE NOT MORMON. The LDS faith does not practice or condone polygamist or bigamist relationships.

So you narrow minded people who are apparently all knowing about the LDS religion - gets your facts straight - then come and argue.

Linda

Wow his wifes go from real skinny to obese. Did you know Joseph Smith of the LDS Church had 33 wifes so whats the big deal with 4 wifes. I think the whole mormon religion is strange. Why would Joseph Smith, a man with that high calling and man that hears from God be in sin. And dont tell me that was back in the day. Being with more than 1 women is a sin thats why the morman church dont accept it anymore or they dont want people to know they accept it because it could cause alot of people to leave this religion. The whole deal is crazy as hell were men can be Gods etc. I quess if your raised in it how would you know the differance.

DomCasual

Okay, Linda. I'll bite. If being with more than one woman is "a sin," how do you explain all the prophets in the Bible that had multiple wives?

The Mormon Church doesn't practice polygamy today. They haven't in over a century. That's all that matters.

day80

I like your style #52

Jay

Joseph Smith, a man who claimed the God himself came down from heaven to speak with him face to face even though in the Bible God says no man can see my face and live but ol' joe says he did just that and even after the creator of the entire universe came down to speak to him face to face, ol' joe still went a stole from people. Now that's the person that the morman "faith" looks up to. And it does matter if you believe in a fake profit. P.S. If they were black you can best belive the police would have been there locking folks up.

law student

Wrong about no recent bigamy cases in Utah... State v. Holm, in which in 2006 the Supreme Court of Utah affirmed the defendant's conviction of bigamy.

Yourmom

Most of you are ignorant and need to get your facts straight. First off MORMONS are NOT polygamist. Nor do we agree with the life style. Growing up near the FLDS head quarters I have some really sad stories of the way they treat their families. I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Later Day Saints, they belong to a completely different church. Its called the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Later Day Saints. Not a huge name difference but a HUGE difference of practice. Thank you.

Deedee

Utah is a geographically beautiful place, and I don't give a crap about the polygamists.

They will do what they will no matter what.

I prefer though that they keep their "harems" to themselves and not showboating on tv about it.

Now, if someone is spouting religious crap as an excuse to marry/bed an underage girl, then they should face the good old-fashioned consequences. ...but then again 12 year olds going on 20 is so common, does it really matter anymore?

Shaydie

It's not "morman," it's "Mormon." It's not "profit," it's "prophet." I feel like when I'm commenting on TMZ I'm working with the lowest common denominator.

Anyway, Mormons don't *practice* it now but they will in the afterlife if they choose to. The church just says that people nowadays aren't ready for this "spiritual law." It's not like the LDS church is against it, they just aren't going to say anything because it makes them look crazy and bad.

urbusted

Sorry honey but adulthood is not a ticket to do whatever you want. Polygamy is a crime, whether you agree with that or not, it is a felony in Utah.

And Bigamy/Polygamy laws in the U.S. do not require you to be legally married to more then one spouse. That loophole doesn't exist. If your living in a as a single household with multiple significant others your committing polygamy under the law. If you go on national TV and flaunt it in law enforcements face you damned well better have a lawyer at the ready.

And this isn't selective prosecution either. Polygamy is rampant in some Utah communities and they don't have the prosecutorial resources to prosecute every case. That being the case it is completely appropriate for the DA to go after those who publicly and boldly flaunt the law as a first priority.

Posted at 5:29 AM on Oct 8, 2010 by gimmeabreak

gimmeabreak......First of all, I am NOT your "honey".

And although I don't know how the law reads in that state, I personally think if they want to live together, it's their business. He only has one marriage license and that's all the state should care about. They have a beautiful home, the kids are loved and well cared for, much better off than many children. They are a family.
In this instance it seems to work. Now if the children were abused, or he had a 14 year old wife, that's a whole other ballgame. But those things can happen in a monogamous marriage too.
Heck, if I wanted to live w/ 3 men and loved them all, and have children, it's nobody's business.
I am sick of people like you telling others how to live. Families come in all shapes and sizes.

Twinky

Twinky: I hope that you are not referring to my post, because if you had read it I said "those people that PURPORT to be Mormons" Look up the big word if you don't know what it means. by Lisa 10:41 AM.

Actually, no I was not referring to yours. My post was only around #34,when I did it. The system lags a bit so it showed later.