'Sister Wives' Bigamy Case -- The Stats Don't Lie

10/8/2010 9:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Kody Brown better not have any skeletons in his many closets ... because a TMZ review of Utah bigamy cases reveals no one -- at least no one we could find -- has ever been prosecuted for bigamy in recent times ... unless the perp was suspected of a collateral crime such as child endangerment.

Sister Wives
Law enforcement sources tell us there are so many polygamous families in Utah, that officials simply don't have the resources to go after all of them ... unless they're made aware of a more serious crime ... such as a the taking of a child bride, false imprisonment or anything violent.

As we previously reported, the Brown family -- featured on the TLC show "Sister Wives" -- is currently at the center of a bigamy investigation ... and could face up to 5 years in prison if convicted.

The case is currently in the hands of the Utah County Attorney's office -- and the guy in charge, Jeff Buhman, tells us, "In my experience ... there has never been a traditional polygamist family charged with the sole crime of bigamy."

Rede

Wait... nobody bothers to investigate bigamy, but when the issue of monogamous gay marriage comes up it's a national issue? Where are the priorities here? Bigamy is clearly a much bigger threat to the institution of marriage than homosexuality.

VickiC

Unlike some of the weird polygamist cults, this case involves consenting adults who aren't trying to scam the welfare system. If they're all happy with the set-up, what's the big deal?

Wiley

They aren't charged with bigamy on purpose because the supreme court would throw the law out because it is based on a Christian religious belief and has no basis in law. Just like gay marriages. They want the law in place in order to threaten the Mormons and have a reason to investigate and harrass them. The Mormons only agreed to not support polygamy because the US government threatened in the 1890s to kill them all if they didn't stop it and the Mormons had already moved as far away as possible from everyone else and had no where else to go. They arrested all the men in one polygamous town out west in the 1930s and left something like 300 women and children with no food or support and they almost starved to death and the public raised piles of money and food for them and it was a huge publicity disaster for the goverment so they won't do it again.

Wiley

Posted at 10:54 AM on Oct 8, 2010 by tlynn
____________________________________________________________

Really? Families used to be that size with just 1 mother years ago and they were the better for it. The children learned to pitch in and help unlike the lazy slugs most of us raise now. These children each have 4 mothers and a father who love them! Was there a shortage of love in your family? These children will never see the inside of a daycare center and will also have the benefit of a working mom role model. They sure look happy and healthy to me.

Wiley

Wrong about no recent bigamy cases in Utah... State v. Holm, in which in 2006 the Supreme Court of Utah affirmed the defendant's conviction of bigamy.

Posted at 12:40 PM on Oct 8, 2010 by law student
_______________________________________________________________

But was he only legally married to one wife or did he legally marry both? They will get you if you legally marry more than one woman at a time. That's illegal right now no matter what your religious beliefs may be. It's a shame they didn't take it to the US supreme court and settle the constitutional issue that they consistantly avoid.

Jill

I don't agree with their lifestyle, but I cannot say it should be illegal. I don't see why it should be outlawed, as long as there is no childbride, abuse, tax evasions going on.
With that said, my husband is a product of a polygamist marriage. His dad is the grandson of a prophet of one of the polygamist sects. He HATED it. His family left and joined the LDS church when he was 4, but before that point his mom left the sect with her kids, was killed in a car wreck, so the kids were returned to the father and step-mom (other wife). They left the polygamsit lifestyle. Stories his older siblings tell are all filled with anger and hate for that lifestyle. They smiled in the pictures, but were angry on the inside. Both parents were abusive, and the step mom was even more abusive towards the step-kids (my husband and his family). Two of my husband's step brothers have now committed suicide, one claiming part of his reasoning dealt with the family and polygamy. His dad, who made A LOT of money is not broke.
Just like any other marriage, bad things happen. I can never enter into a polygamist marriage because perhaps I am too selfish and cannot share my husband for any reason. He has 0 desire as well. While I am honestly sickened of the idea of polygamist marriage (again, based mainly on my personal feelings and my husband's upbringing), I cannot tell someone else they are wrong because MAYBE their situation is better.

Jill

Sorry, by "his dad is not broke" I mean "his dad is NOW broke" (my comment was #66).

musapha a babamba

it suprise me that in america polygamy is a crime,for a country that claimed to respect human rights and also defend it.why would someone personal life be regulated yet america claimed to be free society.is this not hypocrisy if not what is it?

Rich

I am not religious but these people need to be prosecuted. Through popular media we are being "prepped" to accept polygamy as a norm. Our children have been made into moral relativists by shows such as this. At some point Muslims will use this to force another tenet of Sharia law down our throats, then just as they do in Europe they will abuse the welfare systems to support this lefestyle at taxpayer expense and create children in large numbers to grow their movement and goal of dominance. The welfare systems cannot survive a man + 4 wives + 4 kids each. This man belongs in prison as does his wives.

Rex

These people are NOT MORMON. Polygamist relationship, like gay and lesbian relationships are not permitted in the Mormon church. TMZ get your facts straight. Tom Green, he is a polygamist, when he went on dateline and outed himself as a polygamist he was prosecuted and convicted.

Gin

Just curious - where does Cody work? How does he clothe, feed, provide medical needs, schooling, music lessons, dance lessons, cars/insurance, etc. for 4 wives and 15+ children? First, they probably have a 12 or 14 room house not counting 4 or 5 bathrooms. The house alone is quite an expense. If my taxes are paying part of this I think I'll stop paying taxes. How can he afford all this? Where can I get an answer?

george

"25. Barbie - Are you stupid, slow, retarded or a wannabe sister wife? The innocent children are what concerns people!! These are innocent children being forced into a lifestyle & religion that some perverted loser made up himself. The women who follow this man or any other Utah cult are truly pathetic people, you can't call them mother's because no mother I know would do this to their child. If these pathetic women want to live with this POS and his pathetic in home *****, spay the women and neuter the man and let them have at it!!

Posted at 10:54 AM on Oct 8, 2010 by tlynn"

Are you stupid, slow or retarded? I'm sure those kids are much better off than a lot of kids today. Quite frankly, I'm more concerned about altar boys that are forced to work in the Catholic church and end up being victims of years of sexual abuse that the Catholic Church tried to cover up.

**** you. You don't sacrifice the lives of children just because "there not as bad off as they could be." **** you. Seriously

fja

this is just gross!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

barbara saenz

i understand how people feel about this. but it is there lives they are willing to share it if you do not like it just change the channel stop watching. i watched the show for the first time on saturday. i would not have more then one husband at a time but thats is how i feel. i always wanted to know why do only men get to have more then one wife and we cant have two husband just wondering. i do feel sorry for the first 3 you see how bad this makes them feel and he still went ahead but again i keep watching so that is on me. i wish them they best and for the kids to be ok

Lilysmom

Kody seems to be more like a 10 year old with his pants down. His hair is the hair of a young kid. I don't know how these women can put up with his immaturity. Meri seems to be very very unhappy. Are any of these women afraid of contracting a social disease from him? And this doesn't seem to be an especially 'religious' home... just lots of sex with different women while they wait for their turn... mmmm I love my husband more than that.