Hypocrisy

On 'The Hangover 2' Set

10/22/2010 10:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Looks like it was your garden-variety peer pressure that torpedoed Mel Gibson's cameo on "The Hangover 2."

1018-the-hangover-mel-gibson-ex-tmz-2

Multiple sources connected with the production tell TMZ ... director Todd Phillips cast Mel in the role of a tattoo artist a month ago and that the entire cast and crew knew about it and were simpatico.

The problem came three days ago, when a story leaked that Mel would be shooting a scene for the flick.  Our sources say the friends of some of the cast and crew started putting pressure on them to lodge sudden, last-minute displeasure with Phillips' choice.

Our sources say some of the production people became belatedly upset because they were getting so much crap from friends, so they began objecting. One of the loudest, we're told, was Zach Galifianakis.

There were other people in the cast and crew who were also making noise about walking off the set if Mel showed up.  Our sources say Bradley Cooper was not among the group who complained.

So the day before Mel was supposed to shoot, Phillips pulled the plug.

As one person connected with Mel told TMZ, "It's such hypocrisy. They cast a convicted rapist [Mike Tyson] but 86'd Mel."

Production Assistant

On Tuesday I asked a crew member on Hangover 2 if Mel Gibson was going to do his scene at the Warner Brothers stages -where they are shooting now- or will he be working in Thailand when they leave for location work in Nov-Dec. She looked at me like I was nuts and said Mel wasn't on H2. I told her I read the story on-line, and she said she never heard anything about it. She is always on-set, so I wonder what, "the entire cast and crew knew about it and were simpatico" really means. The entire crew didn't know anything about this, so it may be the people who hired Mel are trying to distance themselves from that decision. If that's true, it's typical studio bs: always take credit for a popular decision for yourself, but if something goes wrong, spread the blame to everyone else.

randomnone

Well Jews can control Hollywood but they have to understand that the money that pads their pockets comes from us, Mel is plainly being discriminated against for what? Some drunken rant? Or is it because he is competition. Well Zack Galiwhatever, you are now on my do.not.watch.list This movie WILL be watched for free, if only to see Bradley Cooper. Stupid move

Your Aunt Bea

When this movie tanks, what people will remember is that they could have had Mel. Good luck to whomever it is that's taking the tattooist part....

kinm

This is such a dilemma now, I applaud for Todd Phillips, and Bradley Cooper - however, people like Zach Galifianakis makes me disgusted - should I go or should I not

jechrist

was starting to admire the career of galifianakis, not now though. the cast of this movie has tried him in the court of public opinion and that's not right. i doubt any of them will b able to look back at their oscar and career in the future the way MG can now. if you cave to this kind of pressure your not much of a human being. what goes around will come around .

shirleyholmes

@ Production Assistant

My Message to the cast and crew:

(part of) Lyrics of Apologize - Timbaland

I'm holding on your rope,
Got me ten feet off the ground
I'm hearin what you say but I just can't make a sound
You tell me that you need me
Then you go and cut me down, but wait
You tell me that you're sorry
Didn't think I'd turn around, and say...

It's too late to apologize, it's too late
I said it's too late to apologize, it's too late

Ms_Tell

How stupid is this move, ESPECIALLY for this movie, of all movies? Zack really lost major integrity points for this. What a jealous loser.

Kelly

----------------------------------------------------------------

That is a great point. I don't watch mindless movies like that anyway so I could care less who is in it.

Hey, couldn't this be a discrimination lawsuit?! LOL!!

JayVegas

@51 = Normally publicity is executed in such a manner as to benefit that which is being publicized. This group has managed to execute bizarro publicity - the opposite of publicity...thank god they spoke out, or we might have seen Hangover 2 accidentally...

Anthony

Zach plays the same exact character in every movie he is in. How about shaving that beard off and losing some weight. I feel bad for Mel.

Msmassflex

Mel's an assaultive mysogonistic, alcoholic, Jew hater. Finally, a receipt. Hypocracy my A**. Well done!

Kilmerfan

I knew there was something phoney-baloney about the cast and crews "outrage".Zach Galifianakis hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Well I saved 10 bucks.

KoalaBabe

Hangover 2, a movie, I'm going to miss at all cost.

pass the barf bag

I think that stinks, hypocrites will regret it in the end.

Fidel's niece