« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Surfing Legend Andy Irons

Dead at 32

11/2/2010 7:21 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Three-time surfing world champion Andy Irons died this morning at a hotel in Dallas ... TMZ has learned.

Andy Irons death:
The 32-year-old was found by a hotel employee around 10:00 this morning.

According to reports, Irons had planned to travel back to his home in Hawaii -- but fell ill and that's why he booked his room in Dallas.

The local medical examiner tells us an official cause of death has not been determined.

The Irons family has released a statement saying, "[Andy] had reportedly been battling with dengue fever, a viral disease."

See also

1102_remembering_andy_irons_footer
More Today in TMZ History

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Previous 15 Comments | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10

chiemi

What a sad day. Irons was so awesome! I live here in Hawaii and it's sad that he never made it back home. I wish his family well and he'll always be remembered.

tim

Sorry to burst all your bubbles but he was a methhead who killed himself. They found xanax and sleeping pills next to his bedside and his sheets were covered to his neck facing up.

The dengue fever is a coverup for the sake of the family, which I understand

But what I know for sure is the guys was a heavy drug addict who needed help.

Scott Sandarg

Get a life you under educated idoit!!!!!!!!!!!

AFriend

Andy will be sadly and greatly missed. His surfing was amazing, as was his personality. He was always looking for the best in people, keeping spirits up, and always looking to the bright side.

You're the best, brotha.
Surf the clouds and r.i.p.

diamondgirl

To die alone in a hotel room-it shouldn't happen to anyone. SO sad...may his family and friends find peace. God Bless his wife and unborn child.

Mareva

nnoooooooot noooooow !
32 ????
TOO YOUNG !
WHY HIM ? :'(

stefan

if he had dengue he should have gone to the hospital in P.R instead of getting on a plane back home. a few people die of dengue in puerto rico and the few that do is because they can't afford medical treatment. Dengue takes at least 1 week to develop fully.

he was a charger , RIP

Ben McQueen

Andy Irons was, and is, one of my favorite surfers of all time. I was watching a surfing video with him in it when I was 11, and it motivated me to buy a board and start surfing. I have followed his success since then, and his face covers my walls in many pictures of him surfing. So, basically, **** you TMZ. You dont surf, and you have no idea what Andy Irons accomplished, and now you are making profit of his death. Go jump out of a building, all of you.

filledout

meth addict, wait for the results.

matt davis NSB

I AM SO SICK OF PEOPLE DENYING THAT ANDY WAS A DRUG ADDICT. SO WHAT; WE ARE ALL ON DRUGS. I STILL ADMIRE HIS SURFING. I HAVE TAKING PLENTY OF DRUGS, AND STILL DO. YOU ARE ALL IN DENIAL. TELL THE TRUTH.

Legend fan

Andy and Cory were surfing that spot in Costa were he won best barrel in summer 2010. When Cory dropped in on Andy. Andy hit his face. Went in deleted all of Cory's pics off someones camera and when Cory came in he knocked Cory out with one punch. True Irons fire. Later that night the two were partying. That's what you had to love about Andy.

Previous 15 Comments | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10