Mel Gibson

Admits Slapping,

Not Hitting Oksana

11/15/2010 2:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has obtained Mel Gibson's sworn declaration in the custody war with Oksana Grigorieva, in which Mel admits slapping Oksana because he says she was so hysterical she was endangering the baby ... but he denies hitting her.

Mel Gibson Hits Girlfriend
Mel is referring to the explosive argument between the two on the night of January 6, 2010, which triggered the L.A. County Sheriff's Department domestic violence investigation. Oksana claims Mel punched her in the temple and in the mouth, knocking out two teeth.

But Mel tells a very different story. According to his declaration, dated June 23, 2010 and filed with the court, Mel says he and Oksana were having one of their frequent arguments at his Malibu home, when Oksana grabbed Lucia out her of bassinet, brought her right in the middle of the argument and screamed, "Stop yelling or you will make her into a retarded brain damaged idiot!"

Mel says Oksana then "spun around," ran into her older son's room and then out into the backyard. Mel says the yard is dangerous at night, set on different levels and dimly lit. Mel says Oksana ran across the various levels for about 75 yards, near thorny trees.

Mel says he implored Oksana to bring Lucia back inside, and that's when Oksana ran back into her older son's room, and "started swinging Lucia erratically in her arms, jerking her body from side to side to keep Lucia out of my reach."

Mel adds Oksana was "hysterical" and her "rapid movements were causing Lucia's little body to be flung from one side to the other, her head shaking violently." Mel says he feared Shaken Baby Syndrome.

As she refused to hand the baby over and continued with "rough and erratic movements," Mel says, "I slapped Oksana one time with an open hand in an attempt to bring her back to reality. I did not slap her hard, I was just trying to shock her so that she would stop screaming, continuing shaking Lucia back and forth."

Mel's story could establish a defense to a domestic violence charge -- using reasonable force to protect a child from injury.

As for Oksana, Mel says, "I did not hit Oksana with a closed fist, as she alleges. I did not ever punch her in the face or in the temple or anywhere else, not then or at any other time."

Mel admits, "While I do not believe I handled the situation as well as I should have, I was worried about the rough way Oksana was shaking and tossing Lucia around," adding, "My hand never touched any part of Lucia." As we've already reported, the pediatrician who examined Lucia the next day saw no evidence of injury.

And Mel says, "There was never any blood on Oksana and none of her teeth were 'broken,' although one of the false veneers from a tooth apparently did come off, I did not see that occur at the time."

See also

More Today in TMZ History

Genna

Mel Gibson is a disgusting piece of crap. Oksana may be a terrible person but there is NOTHING that made his disgusting treatment of her ok. You Mel apologists are sick, sick people. I pray he doesn't get away with it but he probably will thanks to all you sycophants.

Posted at 2:27 AM on Nov 15, 2010 by fifi

Agree with you 100%, fifi.

Posted at 2:29 AM on Nov 15, 2010 by urbusted

--------------------------------------------

Anyone who defends this liar and extortionist is the one who is truly sick. The facts only support one story -- Mels', not OG's. How ANYONE can falsely accuse someone of DV only hurts those who have truly suffered. Mel is no saint, but this woman has proven herself to be a devout liar, and user and taker, time and again. Shame on you. Take a look at the People Magazine interview, and then read the statement her pediatrician gave to the courts. Mel was telling the truth all along...OG was not.

Ray

TorontoWoman
Mr. Gibson's story is more believable than Ms. Oksana's. The next day a doctor checked out Lucia and saw no signs of abuse. That is important. A doctor is mandated by law to report any signs of abuse. This was a day after the incident.

Michael

#81,

Where do you come up with 7 years in prison???

It's a year at most stupid! And then if the person has no record they would get probation and counseling!

Bubba

"81.
He's so stupid. He just admitted to slapping her which is assault. That's about 7 years in prison. Open or closed fist, it's against the law. That situation doesn't give him the right to do it.

Posted at 3:03 AM on Nov 15, 2010 by me"

Seven years huh? LOL

Ray

A slap is not defined as assault. It is defined as battery.

Kelly

How ironic is it that immediately after Ox becomes a spokeswoman for Domestic Violence it comes out that Mel slapped her?! She timed that perfectly too, huh?! She is so shady!!

Charlie Sheen alledgedly put a knife to Brooke's throat and choked her, yet he only pled guilty to simple assault. Mel has way more money doesn't he?!

Ox is painting herself into a corner.

Bubba

All those who want to slap Oksana form a line here.

angeleyes

This psycho-bytch has been pulling the same darn stunts ever since she was 19 and pulled this on her first husband according to reports by him and his mother - So it's her game!

Mel had a sane wife and family - so he had no experience with a "crazy person" IMO - Have you ever had to deal with a hysteric? Have you ever had to save your child from one? If not then your opinion has no value here -

I'm quite sure if Mel tried to take the baby away from this lunatic to get a doctor to check her she would have threatened to kill the child so he compromised by getting her to take the baby for a check-up the next day.

He's dealing with a lunatic here - but for the safety of the child he's not trying to enrage her further - She is a danger to that child = Child services SHOULD BE LOOKING INTO THIS -
Every one of her actions has been narcissic and vengeful and totally irresponsible to the destructful effects on everyone else involved including her own son.

@bagladey - I quit watching alot of TV - particularily CNN - Joy Behar, Nancy Grace etc. and reading Huff Post and checking out ROL (so glad they are going bankrupt!) It's my only form of retribution on them for their lack of research - Larry King is such a doddering old idiot - won't be giving him any audience either - They may keep dishing out that crap but I won't be eating it!

NotBlowingSmoke

MG's version of events seem very believable to me. This entire time, MG's story hasn't changed, but OG's story keeps changing. Interesting....

garnet

Mel notes - to avoid being caught off guard:
How to stop Oksana when she gets hysterical again and Lucia is at risk

1) play baby tag of war, I'm stronger I'll get most of the baby
2) call a negotiating team to come ASAP, note - but have to work on a teleporting machine that actually works
3) have a bucket of water handy but first cover the baby with raincoat, this plan needs a pretty pink raincoat that puts itself on the baby
4) slap her, it worked the last time

Michael

#88,

ME!

And if I saw her on the street doing that I would have grabbed the child and knocked her on her ass!

She is a wackjob and a liar!!

I truly hope Mel and Lucia come out of this ok as a DV charge is not a small thing. And it is killing him and his career thanks to her TEAM of lawyer and her!

I wish he would come out and speak up like she is doing. The problem is he might be trying to but he is such a huge target and pariah right now that no one prbably wants him on their show!

Genna

TorontoWoman

Posted at 3:07 AM on Nov 15, 2010 by Ray

-----------------------------------------

Absolutely. Mel's story explains a lot of things. It explains why the dentist and the internist never contacted the authorities either. And unlike OG, Mel's story has been the same from day one. OG's changes every week; she embellishes one story, then adds to it, then changes it all over again. I suspect we are going to hear a lot more about OG, and what her true intentions have been all along. If no extortion charges are filed, someone should mandate that OG receives therapy as well...there is something very wrong with her. I fear for Lucia while she is in OG's care.

Bubba

"According to his declaration, dated June 23, 2010 and filed with the court..."

Sorry Mel haters but the judge already knew this when he granted Mel the overnight visitation. Obviously the judge does not care that he slapped Oksana - I don't either.

Emm

I'm not getting that either. California Child Services didn't have a problem taken Britney Sprears children. What are they waiting for? Why isn't someone from this agency making at least weekly visits to check out Lucia and Alexanders welfare?

Again, what are they waiting for?

Parker

Hi Ray,
Thanks I read Dr. Nussbaum's declaration. Yeah she says to the best of her recollection she didn't notice any sign of abrasion, bruising or physical abuse. Nor did the mother bring anything to her attention. But as I said, since it was never reported that Lucia was actually struck or severely injured physically, we don't know what that means. I recall recently that Oksana said there was blood all over or something to the effect, but that might have been from her gum and the torn veneer. Remember things never play out in life the way you imagine, so attempting to dot every "i" and cross every "t" is a waste of energy and reduces everything to fodder for conspiracy theorists.

In any case as I said, the texts would seem to confirm something very drastic happened for which Gibson felt deeply sorry and very responsible. In subsequent texts he plainly acknowledges he's in an extremely agitated, out of control state. The exact hows and whats of this or that is something that might be better left for after the case is finalized.