'Ugly Betty' Actor in

Custody in Samurai Sword Killing

11/23/2010 6:35 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

An actor who appeared on "Ugly Betty" was taken into custody in Brooklyn this morning for allegedly killing his mother with a 3-foot long samurai sword while screaming biblical passages.

Michael Brea Ugly Betty
According to the police, the suspect -- Michael Brea -- sliced his mother's head off during the attack.

When cops arrived to the scene around 2:20 AM, officers say Brea was clutching the bible. Cops ultimately had to use a taser to subdue the actor. Brea was taken to a nearby hospital for a psychiatric evaluation with a police escort.

Police claim the scene was "extremely bloody."

A neighbor told WPIX 11, "I hear the brother chasing her [his mother] through the house and he's just saying a bunch of [Bible] passages like, 'Repent, Repent, Repent.'"

The neighbor continued, "I heard him chasing her through the house and I hear a loud scream and so I have my father call the cops, call 911."

Brea has not been formally arrested or charged yet. We're told he'll will be turned over to the NYPD once his psychiatric evaluation is complete.

UPDATE: Brea has been charged with 2nd degree murder and criminal possession of a weapon.

1123_michael_brea_footer_v2

Ozzie X

How is she supposed to repent when she is dead? What a yahoo.

Observer999

Oh please... he doesn't even appear in IMDB.com except in articles relating to this killing. Some actor.

CC

Ya- he's an Ugly Betty extra at best.

Still it's still super sad. His poor family.

Sonja

Oh please, yes it's a sad story but there is nothing you can do. Poking fun and using humor is a healthy way to deal with stress and sadness... especially when you consider all the murders, deaths, rapes, and other evil that go on in the world... I worry more about those who instantly start screaming about wanting to change our laws to those like the Middle East.. you know, hang em now, shoot em now, who needs trails or courts...it's just a constitutional right in this country but hey you 'feel' mad so let's just toss those rights for 'those' people and kill em all. Now that is scary.

SaraBellum

Every time I think I may start to have a bit of faith again in human nature...

My sincere condolences to the family of Yannick Brea.

irish35

Wow, this is really messed up. Maybe a psychotic break, you think?

TMZ dont like me

Dude look crazy. He was probably unemployed, sitting at home watching one too many Lone Wolf and Cub movies, and decided to go harakiri on his moms...

irish35

Can you all imagine, put yourself in his place. Once he comes back to reality, he will know what he did, and have to live with that the rest of his life. My heart really goes out to the family. He was not in his right mind when this occurred and it is just a tragedy. Those who joke about it, are just the minority sickos on this planet.

jeff

Growing up my parents would drive me to my grandparents house and there was a huge mental hospital that we passed along the 2 hour trip. I made a sarcastic comment one day and my father said, "there are more crazy people out here than there are In there." that seems to be more and more true everyday.

raven

Huh, Okay then......

Sad sad

The devil made him do it. I shouldn't joke either #1 seriously abused or serious drugs usage. I mean I don't like my family at all but this would never crossed my mind to do. X/ Holy crap.

Violette-Blue

I don't know who he is, but this is just sadness & disturbia all over. I wish his family well. His poor mother. I hope he gets the help he needs. Just before the holidays. So sad.

Star Whacker

YIKES!!! It looks like the Hollywood Star Whackers are really ramping things up. I bet Randy abd Evi are really scared now. Look out you two!

JJ

Is he the one that was her sister's love interest/husband at the end of the show?

Looks sort of like him but just not sure.

sheila