Ryan Reynolds & Scarlett Johansson

Will Divorce

12/14/2010 5:20 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned Ryan Reynolds and Scarlett Johansson have separated and plan to divorce.

Ryan Reynolds Scarlett Johansson Separation

We're told Ryan and Scarlett are living apart.  And we're told it's amicable.

Ryan and Scarlett released a statement through their rep, telling TMZ, "After long and careful consideration on both our parts, we've decided to end our marriage.  We entered our relationship with love and it's with love and kindness we leave it.  While privacy isn't expected, it's certainly appreciated."

Ryan told GQ in September, Scarlett was "the best part" of his life, though he said having a family was "a few years down the road."

Ryan was named PEOPLE magazine's Sexiest Man Alive last month.

Interesting -- the couple was rarely seen out together.  The most visible appearance -- at the Tony Awards this past June.

The couple was married in September, 2008.

UPDATE: Ryan Reynolds filed for divorce from Scarlett.

1214_X_SCARLETT_SMALL_LAUNCH_V31214_X_RYAN_SMALL_LAUNCH_V3

Meg

You have to wonder about these stars that go through so many men. She still isn't as bad as some.

countryfydgirl

@39 Speak for yourself, I take my wedding vows very seriously, as do my friends and family. Please don't compare Hollywood to the rest of the country. While I can understand a lot of reasons why their marriages fail, I find it sad for them, and especially sad for the children of these marriages. The children are the ones who suffer the most in these cases as these divorces are considered "news" and no one takes into account the children involved will see, hear and read the comments if not now, then when they grow up. Once on the net, forever on the net.

Annie

I think Ryan Reynolds isn't interested in the ladies. I think he realized it. I feel bad for Scarlet Jo because men that haven't figured out their sexuality swear up and down to the woman they're with that they aren't; maybe she just couldn't stand it anymore. or maybe they married for publicity and both are just friends helping out their careers and getting tax benefits.

fat

No matter how hot a girl is, some guy, somewhere, is sick of her ****.

PleaseLoveMe

jajJAJAJAJAJAJJA SIIIIIIIII SABIAAAAAAAA!!!!ª!! JAJAJAJAJAJJA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! Q LINDO !!! JAAJAJJAJAJAJAJA

Stephanie

Why are celebs getting married after knowing each other not very long? What's wrong with living with each other for a while. It all ends up the same way in the end except with out the lawyer fees!

Coco

Soooooo happpy, she was bad news for him from the beginning! Now Ryan can have the respectability he had without this Axel Rose leftover.

Mike

She can do wayyyyyyy better

Mike

She can do wayyyyyy better.

sam

Did they really know each other when they got married? Did they have time for each other given their separate careers? Ryan seems like such an incredible brooder. I wonder how tough he is to be around.

GLD

Look at all the cats claws coming out on this poor girl, jealous b#@*hes! You judge her by a two minute sound bite on E? Please...... The chick is hot and could convert me anytime!

Rachel

Scarlett probably wants to "get around" a little more before really settling down. I think it's all her. No man would leave such a beautiful woman.

Doug Glass

You can fight over the mirrors only so long, then you get your own.

CGee

Well slap me and call me Nostradamus! I called this one on their weddin' day, Why can't the sexiest man alive and a hot chick keep each other happy?

Leoj Estoperez

It's really hard for the gorgeous ones to stick with each other for better, or for worse... Funny, looks would just go and they will still be searching for the right one 'til their cash all zeroed down! :D