Ryan Reynolds & Scarlett Johansson

Will Divorce

12/14/2010 5:20 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned Ryan Reynolds and Scarlett Johansson have separated and plan to divorce.

Ryan Reynolds Scarlett Johansson Separation

We're told Ryan and Scarlett are living apart.  And we're told it's amicable.

Ryan and Scarlett released a statement through their rep, telling TMZ, "After long and careful consideration on both our parts, we've decided to end our marriage.  We entered our relationship with love and it's with love and kindness we leave it.  While privacy isn't expected, it's certainly appreciated."

Ryan told GQ in September, Scarlett was "the best part" of his life, though he said having a family was "a few years down the road."

Ryan was named PEOPLE magazine's Sexiest Man Alive last month.

Interesting -- the couple was rarely seen out together.  The most visible appearance -- at the Tony Awards this past June.

The couple was married in September, 2008.

UPDATE: Ryan Reynolds filed for divorce from Scarlett.

1214_X_SCARLETT_SMALL_LAUNCH_V31214_X_RYAN_SMALL_LAUNCH_V3

CelticOne

#5, I agree with you. I never really thought they were a good fit. I don't know why but I was never overwhelmed with them as a couple. I like both people as individuals but never understood the marriage.. not that I am an expert on either of them, just sayin'.

NelsonH

And another one bites the dust. Don't get married, kids.

TEAMANISTON

I love Ryan and don't care for Scarlett. Hey Ryan think JENNIFER ANISTON!!!! She is much sexier!!!!!

socialshrink

She just couldn't live in the shadow of the sexiest man alive!

B

No. ****. He's mine now! ...Wouldn't that be nice.

Mark

He seems really, really gay. I think it is the reason. Who cares? He is a great actor.

entnow

YEESSS now I have a shot

Jake

He doesn't seem gay to me. There is a big age difference between he and Sandra Bullock, and she's pretty into the motherhood thing at this point, but I did enjoy their movie. To the person who said Scarlett is too good for him, all I can say is that I could not disagree more and that if anything the opposite is more like it. I don't claim to know who the "real" Scarlett is, but as others have said, she certainly comes across as a shallow person who has a slight talent for playing slightly non-shallow characters. It usually seems like she is ultimately just sort of clever and manipulative. Hopefully I'm wrong and in reality she is an enlightened, great person. Seems unlikely though.

maney

Who cares.......

Gridlock812

And the beard comes off...... Watch he'll be filming Broke Back Mountain 2: Return to Fudge River next year.

AlanisLover

Now he and Alanis can get back together....once Alanis gets divorced. I loved Alanis and Ryan as a couple, didn't you???

Jodi

so sad it had to happen because regardless of what made this happen you know they are hurting...Ryan if your reading this...call me ill totally make you fell better *wink*

Pete

What is HER problem?

nobleday

He didn't deserve the People SMA cover. There are so many others who would be better.

frazetta

cheating on the Green Lantern was a no no.....