Etta James Diagnosed with Leukemia, Dementia

1/14/2011 6:15 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

"At Last" singer Etta James is receiving 24-hour health care at her Southern California home after being diagnosed with leukemia and dementia -- and now her family is going to war over the bills.

0114_eta_james_BN_Getty

The 72-year-old singer's husband and son are at odds over who should be in charge of controlling the singer's fortune to pay her costly medical bills.

According to court documents, Etta's husband wants to move more than $1 million into a joint account so he can personally control the spending ... while Etta's son believes the money should be controlled by a third party to "avoid future and present family conflict."

In court documents, Etta's husband claims the main reason he wants control of the cash is to fulfill his wife's wish not to live her final days in a hospital.

A hearing is scheduled for later today.

Andromeda W

I had a chance to hear Etta James when she and her sons came near Memphis, TN. about 2 years ago. Both of her sons play in the band with her and I pray her famiy will stand strong and together......

LAURIE

Hi, regarding Facebook thumbnail photo of the Etta James story. You need to change the photo there as well. Thanks. When I posted it to my FB page the photo of Etta is of someone else. Thanks.

EtttaFan

What disrepectful comments. I love Etta James and she has been in the music business for 50 years.

She is amazing and her voice is beyond amazing. I love her to death and I am sad she is so ill.

I was lucky to see her in concert. That was the best or one of the best moments of my life.

Marcus

Are you people stupid or you just don't know what Etta James looks like. What are you people looking for a 20 something year old girl with platnium blonde hair , Etta has not had that look for years . Look up Etta James talking about Beyonce playing her in Cadillac Records and you will see that that is what Etta James looks like in 2011!

Texas Jake

Good bye sweet lady...
we will miss you..

candye kane

YES THAT IS ETTA JAMES> I HAVE OPENED FOR HER FIVE TIMES.

Brad Guin

The Death of Etta James Huh! You ****in sorry ass bastards. I hope you all die screaming from anal cancer! Why? Why would you lie about something like that? This is going to hurt you guys I swear it! There will come a day when credibility will count in media. The pendellum will swing. At that point you will no longer be anything but a bad memory. The country is getting weary of you and every other smut peddling, lying media outlet. Your days are numbered you filthy pigs! Die you chicken ****in, nursing home rapist! I'm sure you guys hear worse on a regular basis but I feel better anyway. I will feel much better when lying criminals like you are getting raped in the laundry room of a dark prison by a man with a freakishly large weiner! I hope it so big you taste what you ate the day before. What if her children heard it and didnt know any different. Aw hell. I know you dont give a ****. May you be snuffed out by law suites and burn in hell. *******!!!!!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4