« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

GLAAD -- The NBA Must PUNISH Kobe Bryant

4/13/2011 6:10 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The NBA "must take action" against Kobe Bryant for dropping a homophobic slur during last night's Lakers game ... so says the head of the most influential gay rights group on the planet.

0413_kobe_bryant_GLAAD_ex

TMZ spoke with Jarrett Barrios -- President of the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation  -- who tells us, "[Kobe's] statement is a start, but the NBA must now take action."

Barrios continues, "No matter the intent, slurs like this fuel intolerance. The NBA has a chance to show leadership by taking disciplinary measures and sending a message that words like this have no place in sports."

The GLAAD honcho adds, "All sports leagues have a responsibility to create a safe environment for fans, employees and players.“

Kobe released a statement saying he didn't mean to offend anyone when he used the words "f**king f**got" last night ... but he never really apologized for using the slur.

0413_kobe_bryant_footer_V2

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Flyboy

ElPablo, do you even know what nature is? We are living in the natural kingdom, but human world isn't natural world. In NATURE, homosexuality is rampant. Also, you do know how people IDENTIFY is not the same as what people ARE, correct? Gay people are discriminated against. Most live in the closet. We will never know the true number of gay people. Most are on the downlow. Which is why HIV rates between MSM are higher than other communities, not because of out gay men, but because of these DL men who do not live open lives for fear of hate from society.

Individual-specific environmental factors have nothing to do with societal environment. That is why they are individual-specific. That is common sense. So, obviously, you need to educate yourself further before speaking on behalf of something you don't know. Also, gender and sexuality are different concepts.

GlobalDia

hey glaad, if u want to do something, boycott NIKE. its all nike's fault for continually supporting these lowlifes. maybe if nike stopped paying these worthless idiots they would start behaving.

ja

dont be a bunch of ***gots

YouKnowMe

People, especially people in the public eye need to learn that their words have consequences and their words also hurt people. Remember when "Kramer" used the word "ni**er?" We haven't heard from him in a while have we? This moron should disappear as well. What a hateful dumb a**.

Flyboy

tigerblood, AIDS, huh. You find it funny to joke about AIDS? Well, 1/3 of teen girls have herpes. I guess I should make a letter mocking all of them, correct?

Fran, the donations are to help support a noble cause and to help fund efforts to canvass and advocate equality. And people donate because they believe in these causes.

eric, why don't you stop making excuses for anti-gay language? Thanks.

elpablo

"ElPablo, do you even know what nature is? We are living in the natural kingdom, but human world isn't natural world. In NATURE, homosexuality is rampant"

It's becoming clear that I understand what nature is quite more than you do. You wouldn't happen to have any examples to illustrate the above statement would you? Please share, because it seems like you're purposefully making vague statements such as this because you don't have a logical response.

"Also, you do know how people IDENTIFY is not the same as what people ARE, correct? Gay people are discriminated against. Most live in the closet. We will never know the true number of gay people. Most are on the downlow. Which is why HIV rates between MSM are higher than other communities, not because of out gay men, but because of these DL men who do not live open lives for fear of hate from society."

Sure. The same way that a portion of shizophrenics live homeless as opposed to getting help in a mental institution. Using your logic, we can also say that we'll never know the true number of shizophrenics in the US. I could then extrapolate your same logic and say that is why there is such a larger rate of heroin abuse among homeless people because it is not accepted and they want to keep it on the down low. By the way, when I'm referring to studies, are you familiar with the concept of what a "sample population" is...you know, statistics and stuff. I'm guess not based on your argument.

"Also, gender and sexuality are different concepts." Thank you for acknowledging that. That actually defeats the exact argument you've been trying to make in your various other posts. Not only is gender and sexuality different concepts, so is race. That is why they can't be compared. You're all over the place today, aren't you. You may want to read my comments a bit more carefully before you respond. You're tripping yourself up.

Flyboy

David and Rabbit, both of you SAY you are for gay people. If you were, why use slurs that are implicitly anti-gay? You can say one thing, but it's your actions that prove who you are. It's not whining to stand up for yourself. And guess what, no-one is taking the English language from you, especially since using the f-word like this is INCORRECT verbiage. It's called truly respecting people for who they are. You either do or you don't.

efnsteve

efnsteve, I thought the SAME WAY you did earlier today. I was like, wait, why get offended about this? He didn't say it intentionally to the gay community. But, here is the thing. The word itself is homophobic. The intentions don't need to be homophobic. The word in itself is loaded with anti-gay thoughts. When the word is used, most people think "weak, insignificant, pu**y etc." What are the main stereotypes of gay men? Exactly. Put 2+2 together. That's why it's offensive. The intentions can be one way, but the actions are what counts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@Flyboy...Are you actually telling me that you didn't have a real opinion on this earlier today. The reason I ask is...most everyone has a viewpoint on this issue that is solid and unwavering. For you to change your ideals apparently an hour ago or so, tells me a little something about you.

I guess what I'm saying is that you are easily swayed by opinion and rhetoric. Some people might take that as being weak, insignificant or maybe even a Poosey.

tigerblood

I apologize flyboy, I thought AIDS meant anally injected death sentence. Guess I'm mistaken.

Charlie Sheen's Watch

This is the kind of stuff that creates a backlash against real homophobic conduct.

You can't charge someone with homophobic conduct when the charge is not valid. Why? Because when you want to charge a real homophobe it becomes harder to try the person since people will question whether it was real homophobic conduct or simply trash talk - like it is here.

Flyboy

Yeah, you are mistaken tigerblood. Glad you apologized.

Kobe, you are also obsessed with male anal sex. You know that worldwide, homosexuality makes up 5-10% of HIV rates. As for publicity, GLAAD gets as much as you give them. If people continue with their homophobia, GLAAD will continue being active. Pretty simple logic.

efnsteve, I was against Kobe's actions the entire day, but I didn't think it was a MAJOR issue. I thought it was an issue that needed to be addressed, but I also thought about "well, it's not that offensive, he was angry." But, then I thought about it, and I said to myself, is that really an excuse. No, it isn't. I didn't change because of others, but because I addressed the issue with myself and realized the damage his words can cause, and the importance of why they need to be condemned.

ric

In the words of Chris Rock"sometimes people act a certain way" I called a gay guy a ****ing ***got cause of his actions not life style... is the Japan thing over.. kardashians doing nothing for attention somewhere..?

Wocka

Hey, Kobe can't keep getting away with stuff. AND YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN! Stick it to him!

Sam Sunshine

Sick of PETA and GLADD. Some of them call black people ni**ers and thats ok with them but don't call them f**got's. Whatever! double standards at it's best.

Tired of the b.s.

I am so sick of this crap!! Would he have to pay a fine and say he's sorry if he'd made a comment about heterosexuals?? NOOO I don't think so! All you gay people out there need to get over yourselves. Just because you are gay doesnt mean you should get special treatment. You choose to live your life a certain way, there are consequences. If someone dyes there hair purple with green highlights, you are gonna get attention good and bad. Living a gay lifestyle is an alternative lifestyle, which means different from the majority. Get over yourselves!