Morgan Apologizes

My Gay Jokes Were

NOT FUNNY

6/10/2011 9:09 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Tracy Morgan just issued an apology  for the homophobic "jokes" he told during a performance in Nashville last Friday -- saying he "went too far" and his act was "not funny in any context."

Tracy Morgan

In the statement, which Morgan sent to several gay rights groups, the comic says, "I want to apologize to my fans and the gay & lesbian community for my choice of words at my recent stand-up act in Nashville."

He adds, "I'm not a hateful person and don’t condone any kind of violence against others."

"While I am an equal opportunity jokester, and my friends know what is in my heart, even in a comedy club this clearly went too far and was not funny in any context.

As TMZ previously reported, Morgan ignited a firestorm for the homophobic content in his act -- in which he said he would stab his son if he acted gay.

Back in Morgan's "Saturday Night Live" days, the actor starred in a sketch called" Homocil" -- in which he takes pills to "deal" with the fact that his son is gay.

tmz-top-comments
DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

"He apologized for one reason only. He realized he might be in danger of hurting his career. 30 Rock has been slipping anyway. I say fire his ass"

RichInGB RichInGB

Remember when Richard Pryor would drop N bombs on stage, or Eddie Murphy, or whoever in the 70's and 80's? The whole crowd laughed. I bet if Morgan was openly gay, nobody would give a crap. People have become overly PC, IMO. He's a comedian, it's an act.

Marie Marie

Unless Tracy Morgan participates in the gay parade next month then I will accept his apology. Saying he is sorry is not enough.

tmz-top-comments
Paul Paul

"For those who don't get it....being gay isn't "what you are"...it's "who you are"...and what he did was he meant to destroy the core of a persons spirit....so stop saying gays are being too sensitive...it's way deeper than that....if we're "too sensitive" well your just way too shallow for anyone I'd want to know....and I as a gay man never sit around thinking about what other people do in bed..gay bashers do...to me they are the ones that need some serious help..."

Freshlycrown3d Freshlycrown3d

He says crazy off the wall stuff all the time ,why are people act like this is something new its not.

justmyopinion justmyopinion

come ON..this guy isn't even funny, never was..he talks like a 7-year-old who spews out every curse word he knows just to see if he can get a reaction..that's comedy? NOPE. He's lucky he's friends w/Tina Fey--probably the reason he's still on tv.

dOoOshie dOoOshie

...NEWS...FLASH...NEWS...FLASH...NEWS...FLASH... Some people don't like gay people. Some people don't like black people, white people, Christians, Muslims, etc. If you don't like what he says don't listen. Isn't it about time for another Kardashian Nip Slip...

Mike44090 Mike44090

Why is it that people are ready to accept Tracy Morgan's apology but when it was Michael Richards rant against black his career was over, Could it be that gay's are STILL considered second class citizens in this country?

DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

He apologized for one reason only. He realized he might be in danger of hurting his career. 30 Rock has been slipping anyway. I say fire his ass.

DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

RichInGB RichInGB

Marie Marie

Alan

Being gay is a choice....and a bad one. Spewing hate, persecution, bullying, and discriminating is a choice.....and a bad one as well.

John

The hatred voiced by Morgan probably reflects the true feelings of a large segment of Americans.
As a gay person I know this. Watching men and women kiss on TV and movies, being saturated in a straight world since birth and surviving takes incredible strength. The gay movement started in 1969 - that's not very long. We have made progress, but it will be a slow evolution. Please don't make it your identity.

kimmy

please people...

if he feels that way and thinks that way soo what !!!!?????

if he stood up there praising gays and said he was hoping all of his chilren where gay this would not even be in the news ..

just stop being so one way and evil about it all..

it is what it is.. freedom of speach... the pro and the cons are equal with each other...

but all of you complainging ... just love drama and spend all your energy complaining instead of using it in a pro way ..

that just makes people feel even more against what you are bitching about !!

Raymond Charles

Tracy Morgan will not be fired by NBC, and the mainstream media of CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, MSNBC, and the New York Times WILL NOT be critical of him in any way. Just as Kobe Bryant did not suffer any consequences for his comments, NOTHING is going to happen to Tracy Morgan because he is black. Blacks can say anything they want, about whomever they want with impunity because the mainstream media are cowards and are afraid of being called racist. All the aforementioned news entities are hypocritical cowards because they cannot just report what the truth is without first contemplating how there reporting of a story will be perceived. This story would be Page 1 for weeks if any white comic said it; but since Tracy Morgan is black, it's OK with the press. With the mainstream media, ideology and race will always precede the truth; IE: Political Correctness! Political correctness is a social cancer. It impedes truth in conversation and allows the underworld to engage in inflammatory rhetoric with impunity.

John

Being gay is NOT a choice. But stupidity is.

lissa

Tracey Morgan is an idiot. Someone said if he were gay then it wouldnt make a difference. BULLS*%T! First off, no gay person would EVER say things as horrible as he did. This is not about free speech its about the message it sends. Some young kid may look up to this fool, and now they will thing it is okay to behave that way. Threatening to stab your child because of his sexual preference is not a joke. It is sick.

What really gets me is that there are tons of black comedians who have made their way up the ladder on white jokes. Dave Chappel

dOoOshie

devlzadvocate...
Why would he disagree with me? This kinda crap is how he makes his $$$.

I wouldn't say he's advocating murder, he gave his opinion in a way he "thought" was funny at the time. Holy crap, have you ever heard George Carlin standup? He says some way worse stuff, but because it's not about minorities, women or gays it's alright? Free speech is just that free

Heidi Vanderhoeven

Sometimes comedians just take it too far and he did take it too far. You shouldn't even kid about stuff like what he said.

Notaparazzzi

People who hurt people in the name of comedy are not performing comedy. It was the same answer when that idiot Gilbert Godfried made the Tsunami jokes as people were dying in Japan

Raymond Charles

Tracy Morgan will not be fired from NBC, and will not get any negative press because he is black. Kobe Bryant and Tracy Morgan make Sam Kinison's comments about homosexuals sound like they came from Harvey Milk. The mainstream media are cowards, and are afraid to say anything negative about blacks, no matter how inflammatory, racist, biased, or sexist the statements are. Black's can say whatever they want, about whomever they want with impunity because the press is made up largely of cowards who do not have the courage to say what is right in spite of whom it may offend.

jon

HEY PAUL GAYS ARE BEING TOOOOO SENSITIVE!! UMM HEELLOOO HES A COMEDIAN!!! I DODNT SEE ANYBODY FLIPPING OUT WHEN EVERY SINGLE BLACK COMEDIAN BASHES ON WHITE PEOPLE!!! THOUGHT SO BOOM HEAD SHOT GAME OVER SUKKA!!

Zteven

I am distraught at the thought I will no longer get to see his HILARIOUS ebonics baby-talk schtick which is still so funny, even after seeing it for the trillionth time! Oh well, at least he will have more time to sit around the house and monitor his son's voice inflections.

steve

He's a jackass

Katia

Okay, so some people say that what he said was very offensive, and some not so much. I think intolerance towards any person is offensive. However, it seems that only offensive remarks towards certain groups of people deem national recognition and outrage. I don't see TMZ releasing an apology for poking fun at gingers. Anyone that can't handle one person not liking one group, or poking fun at a group or minority, I would suggest you lock yourself in your home and never leave. I think it is more offensive that this country is more concerned with Kobe Bryant, Tracy Morgan, or Michael Richards making a derogatory remark or using a racial slur than with finding solutions to reducing poverty or bringing troops home.

Chatter

@ T. Bag Jones....

Still laughing...point WELL made!