Morgan Apologizes

My Gay Jokes Were

NOT FUNNY

6/10/2011 9:09 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Tracy Morgan just issued an apology  for the homophobic "jokes" he told during a performance in Nashville last Friday -- saying he "went too far" and his act was "not funny in any context."

Tracy Morgan

In the statement, which Morgan sent to several gay rights groups, the comic says, "I want to apologize to my fans and the gay & lesbian community for my choice of words at my recent stand-up act in Nashville."

He adds, "I'm not a hateful person and don’t condone any kind of violence against others."

"While I am an equal opportunity jokester, and my friends know what is in my heart, even in a comedy club this clearly went too far and was not funny in any context.

As TMZ previously reported, Morgan ignited a firestorm for the homophobic content in his act -- in which he said he would stab his son if he acted gay.

Back in Morgan's "Saturday Night Live" days, the actor starred in a sketch called" Homocil" -- in which he takes pills to "deal" with the fact that his son is gay.

tmz-top-comments
DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

"He apologized for one reason only. He realized he might be in danger of hurting his career. 30 Rock has been slipping anyway. I say fire his ass"

RichInGB RichInGB

Remember when Richard Pryor would drop N bombs on stage, or Eddie Murphy, or whoever in the 70's and 80's? The whole crowd laughed. I bet if Morgan was openly gay, nobody would give a crap. People have become overly PC, IMO. He's a comedian, it's an act.

Marie Marie

Unless Tracy Morgan participates in the gay parade next month then I will accept his apology. Saying he is sorry is not enough.

tmz-top-comments
Paul Paul

"For those who don't get it....being gay isn't "what you are"...it's "who you are"...and what he did was he meant to destroy the core of a persons spirit....so stop saying gays are being too sensitive...it's way deeper than that....if we're "too sensitive" well your just way too shallow for anyone I'd want to know....and I as a gay man never sit around thinking about what other people do in bed..gay bashers do...to me they are the ones that need some serious help..."

Freshlycrown3d Freshlycrown3d

He says crazy off the wall stuff all the time ,why are people act like this is something new its not.

justmyopinion justmyopinion

come ON..this guy isn't even funny, never was..he talks like a 7-year-old who spews out every curse word he knows just to see if he can get a reaction..that's comedy? NOPE. He's lucky he's friends w/Tina Fey--probably the reason he's still on tv.

dOoOshie dOoOshie

...NEWS...FLASH...NEWS...FLASH...NEWS...FLASH... Some people don't like gay people. Some people don't like black people, white people, Christians, Muslims, etc. If you don't like what he says don't listen. Isn't it about time for another Kardashian Nip Slip...

Mike44090 Mike44090

Why is it that people are ready to accept Tracy Morgan's apology but when it was Michael Richards rant against black his career was over, Could it be that gay's are STILL considered second class citizens in this country?

DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

He apologized for one reason only. He realized he might be in danger of hurting his career. 30 Rock has been slipping anyway. I say fire his ass.

DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

RichInGB RichInGB

Marie Marie

noella

Screw the gays, don't let them influence your comedy. How is someone who blatantly defies morals and nature by having abnormal same sex gonna criticize anybody! How dare they,clean up your own life.

djmike

according to the bible....they all need to die..... or throw them to the grand cayon and let them (die) live their own isolated lives....where they can be mothers fathers or whetever they want to be.....but at least 1000 miles away from normal boy on girl action.

en Todo Momento!!

now you listen here, mr morgan! it is not ok to gay-bash. that is unless you are a closet homosexual, like simon cowell, and insidiously debase and degrade 'certain' homosexuals that are agreeable targets, approved of by the homosexual community command order echelon, such as clay aiken!! IT IS NOTTTT OKKKKKK TO BASH THE GAYS!!! DAMN YOU!!! QUIT YOUR EVIL AND MALICIOU*****EFUL, HOMOPHOBIC BEHAVIOR NOW!! I COMMAND YOU! NOWWWWWWW!!! B~~~~....

What You Really Want To See

Who said Tracy was not funny! I laughed until I cried over this apology.

Joy Behar wanted Mel publicly cir***cised after he offended the Jewish community. I can't wait for her cries of a public felching for Morgan.

Sandra

Too little too late!! This guy is not funny and is now trying to cover his ass!!

Hotwheelz

cry babies, always whining about something! you don't hear me crying when homosexuals crack on the heterosexuals! lighten up

glomonkey

awwww....did someone's feelings get hurt? boo f-ing hoo

he's a comedian. get over it.

Nasious Cordova

Don't sweat it Tracy, none of your jokes are funny. I wouldn't expect you to break your career long streak now.

Ben Stein

Im straight, and if he made a joke about straight people im not sure I would be offended. Get over it.

NiteOwl

"stab my son if he acted gay" If I were to say - I'd stab my son if he acted like Tracy Morgan - does it make you laugh? Not me!
"I'm not a hateful person...: Liar, liar! We all have our hateful moments. Just as Michael Richards got his comeuppance for the 06' Laugh Factory incident, Morgan deserves the same. Shame, shame, shame.

Jeff

Im sick and tired of homo's acting like homos everytime somebody makes a joke about them. Its a free country, and Tracy Morgan is a comedian...right? Stop being so sensitive.

JD

hahahahhaha , what a truth teller. i agree with every word. f'ing hilarious. I guess gay people have no sense of humor.

getalife

TBag, you had all that time to write all that even with those balls in ur mouth? u gays are talented

getalife

Get over it, you gays are too sensitive. Its supposedly a free country

getalife

Give me a break, I'm so tired of these gays trying to make everyone scared to say anything about them. Get over it, just becasue you think it is ok does not mean that everyone has to. Do I not have the right to say something is disgusting if I think so? People can say whatever they want about anybody in our supposed free country, but God help you if you say anything about the gays. To hell with all of them I say, literally and figuratively. I still like you Harvey, but you get my point.