Morgan Apologizes

My Gay Jokes Were

NOT FUNNY

6/10/2011 9:09 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Tracy Morgan just issued an apology  for the homophobic "jokes" he told during a performance in Nashville last Friday -- saying he "went too far" and his act was "not funny in any context."

Tracy Morgan

In the statement, which Morgan sent to several gay rights groups, the comic says, "I want to apologize to my fans and the gay & lesbian community for my choice of words at my recent stand-up act in Nashville."

He adds, "I'm not a hateful person and don’t condone any kind of violence against others."

"While I am an equal opportunity jokester, and my friends know what is in my heart, even in a comedy club this clearly went too far and was not funny in any context.

As TMZ previously reported, Morgan ignited a firestorm for the homophobic content in his act -- in which he said he would stab his son if he acted gay.

Back in Morgan's "Saturday Night Live" days, the actor starred in a sketch called" Homocil" -- in which he takes pills to "deal" with the fact that his son is gay.

tmz-top-comments
DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

"He apologized for one reason only. He realized he might be in danger of hurting his career. 30 Rock has been slipping anyway. I say fire his ass"

RichInGB RichInGB

Remember when Richard Pryor would drop N bombs on stage, or Eddie Murphy, or whoever in the 70's and 80's? The whole crowd laughed. I bet if Morgan was openly gay, nobody would give a crap. People have become overly PC, IMO. He's a comedian, it's an act.

Marie Marie

Unless Tracy Morgan participates in the gay parade next month then I will accept his apology. Saying he is sorry is not enough.

tmz-top-comments
Paul Paul

"For those who don't get it....being gay isn't "what you are"...it's "who you are"...and what he did was he meant to destroy the core of a persons spirit....so stop saying gays are being too sensitive...it's way deeper than that....if we're "too sensitive" well your just way too shallow for anyone I'd want to know....and I as a gay man never sit around thinking about what other people do in bed..gay bashers do...to me they are the ones that need some serious help..."

Freshlycrown3d Freshlycrown3d

He says crazy off the wall stuff all the time ,why are people act like this is something new its not.

justmyopinion justmyopinion

come ON..this guy isn't even funny, never was..he talks like a 7-year-old who spews out every curse word he knows just to see if he can get a reaction..that's comedy? NOPE. He's lucky he's friends w/Tina Fey--probably the reason he's still on tv.

dOoOshie dOoOshie

...NEWS...FLASH...NEWS...FLASH...NEWS...FLASH... Some people don't like gay people. Some people don't like black people, white people, Christians, Muslims, etc. If you don't like what he says don't listen. Isn't it about time for another Kardashian Nip Slip...

Mike44090 Mike44090

Why is it that people are ready to accept Tracy Morgan's apology but when it was Michael Richards rant against black his career was over, Could it be that gay's are STILL considered second class citizens in this country?

DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

He apologized for one reason only. He realized he might be in danger of hurting his career. 30 Rock has been slipping anyway. I say fire his ass.

DetroitRocks DetroitRocks

RichInGB RichInGB

Marie Marie

Linda

Why doesn't he say he will kill his son if he is tall or short or if he has allergies or if he has straight hair or a million other things his son was born with? Why is it so threatening if his son is gay? Does it make him less of a man? Why did Tracy choose gay for his 'jokes'? Is there any other factor that will make him kill his son?

I have always liked Tracy, but now I am really turned off.

Bud316

Are you kidding me? When there are comics like Lisa Lampineli(?) who tells the same jokes, but with a smile?? Folks, he is a comedian, it was meant to be a joke, he isn't really going to shoot his son if he turns gay please take it easy.. the kid is not gay now so according to the gay bi-laws, you are born gay so it would be impossible for his son to be gay at this point.. So this proves Tracy's comments WERE A JOKE..

Bud316

Fortune

Let me start by saying that I am not a Tracy Morgan fan and I have several friends & family members that have same sex partners. Comedians joke about everyone and everything, most of which I personally do not agree with but, I am fed up with society pressuring people to apologize for something they have "said". Time would be much better spent discussing ways to enjoy life than personalizing a joke or comment. It's just not worth the effort.

Frank

didn't tracy morgan play a gay guy in the longest yard, why didnt all the gay supporters bash him for playing up a sterotype....oh thats right because its a joke...every one take a deep breath, and lighten up nancy.
all he did was express his opinion(a common one for that matter) in a joking manner, sure he didn't have to say "stab" but i doubt many men wish for a gay son...just saying

CINEMA

God almighty heaven forbid a person says something against homosexuality! What a bunch of hypocrites! I just dig how it's all about "diversity" and "tolerance" for all, except those who disagree with the homosexual agenda at hand and those who believe in God.
It doesn't really matter because in the END, the result is the same.
Be tolerant of people who do not agree or favor the gay agenda!

Jim

The pillow biters need to take a chill pill and calm the hell down. The guy's a comedian, he tells jokes. Get over it.

fstblk

Harvey before you came out i bet you told a few Gay jokes yourself.What's wrong with being GAY is that NO ONE will let them be GAY!!!!!!

JarrH

Being Gay IS A Choice........ Your not born that way.... the way your raised and events that may occur early in ones life could have an effect on a persons decisions..... BUT PLEASE STOP COMparing Homosexuality with the civil rights movement....... HATE I*****e I give you that..

BUT homosexuals can vote,can eat anywhere they please, sit with any race homosexuals, with out being hung,beating or raped, or killed the homosexual community deserve same rights all all others

But Please stop comparing the services of MLK, Malcolm X (in his later teachings) and others before them to an Un natural choice that others choose I do not support the Gay community, I do not HAte them either..... If you Choose to be Gay then Be gay but please stop acting like heterosexual people OWE you anything ...we do not.....

JarrH

Judgedby12

I don't blame him for covering his ass,**** are trying to rule the world!

Whatever

"Oh NOES!!!! Somebody I don't know and never met doesn't approve of my lifestyle. "

I wish the GLBT community would STFU. Seriously, No one cares about your decisions in life. And yes it is a decision. Handicapped people overcome adversity silently. You prefer to yell "I was born this way." No, you choose to be this way.

If I was Tracy I wouldn't have said anything afterwards. No comment.. ever.

Shane!

This stupid gay people need to get over it. If you are that insecure with yourself where you take offense to what someone says then that is your problem.
Some people don't like gays, big deal. This is America and we have a freedom of speech no matter if it hurts someone or not.
Do you think i*****ay comic says something bad about straight people the straights will make them apologize? No, because who cares what other people have to say.
GET OVER IT *******!!

Shane!

I don't think Tracy Morgan should have to apologize at all.
If anyone should apologize, it should be the gays for disappointing their parents and the World.

If people don't agree with what gays do, they have the right to express it. Just like the problems gays have with straights, they have no problem expressing it without any apologies.

so what

what i find really funny is that gays are being very sensitive. Thats a joke in itself...Gay people suck at picking arguments. Go after important **** like the matthew shepard incident. Thats something worth fighting for to correct. The only way for him to right this wrong in there eyes is for him to appear on an episode of glee...wearing a tiera...while singing express yourself

Paladin

I'm going to play psuedo devils advocate here and pose a question simular to why some feel it's OK for Black folks to use the "N" word but hateful for people not of color to. I have heard Harveys good friend Lisa Lampanelli use what I felt was pretty mean and hateful language toward Gays she called out in the audience and eveyone, including the targeted people guffawed and roared with laughter. I guess if you are considered a gay advocate you can get away with saying whatever you want, simular to the Black / "N" word thing?

I'm not a Tracy Morgan fan and I've never found him to be that funny. However, IMHO a comedian DOING AN ACT should have a bit more latitude in the area of acceptable speech than he would in a normal situation. Especially since other comedians seem to be given a pass when saying simular things.

As has been mentioned by others here, if you remember many of the routines by Richard Pryor, early Eddie Murphy, Lenny Bruce, George Carlin, heck even Don Rickles offended a lot of people, yet are now considered classics. Maybe the difference is the times we live in, or that with those performers, you kind of knew what you were going to hear and that's why you went. I can still recall when Richard Pryor would spot white folks in the audience and go off on them or Don Rickles would see Black people and do the same. No one got up and left because they were offended, or complained about being hurt. Maybe folks were thicker skinned back in the day?

What is more troubling to me is seeing entertainers, sports figures and "celebrities" trotted out to perform their perfunctory mea culpas for their verbal faux pas in order to save their job or mitigate some big financial levy for themselves or their employers or sponsors.

It is one thing if a someone corners another person in daily and goes off on a rant causing them to feel threatened, but now we see people being penalized for anything anybody finds offensive during the course of an event, act, movie, anything. Are these apologies sincere? Probably not. Will a forced apology change someone's true feelings? I don't think so. But boy we can make they never say it or "work in this town" again.

Now don't we all feel better?