Chris Brown & Rihanna

In BET Awards Screw-Up

6/27/2011 5:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Wanna see a REALLY, REALLY awkward moment at the BET Awards??? Look no further ...

0627_bet_awards_video
Some "lucky" BET viewers were chosen to present the viewer's choice award at the show last night ... but there was a HUGE mistake ... because someone put the wrong name on the teleprompter.

So the lucky fan read the winner as "Chris Brown" ... but quickly recanted and said, "I'm sorry, the winner is Rihanna."  But that wasn't the case either ...

Despite the fact that Rihanna's name appeared on the video screen as the winner ... one of the presenters chimed in for a THIRD time and announced Drake as the winner!!! Drake then appeared on stage to collect his trophy.

Drake gave a short speech and described the whole thing as awkward. Understatement.

After the awards, a BET rep announced that Brown was the correct winner -- and chalked the whole thing up to a "human error" on the part of BET producers.

0627_BET_footer

vickoum

So fake? I think they fit together though.

Wishbone

BET...WET..who cares. That's why we have the option to block out certain channels if we prefer not to watch them. And I do.

Dandoona

First of all TMZ has it wrong as well, Drake accepted on behalf of Rihanna, for Whats my Name, he was featured on the song, and Rihanna twittered that Drake accepted on behalf of her...... so awkward for TMZ as well, looks like a publicity stunt anyhow, and her face is priceless lol

tink981

I'm not racist, but do you see a channel EXPLICITLY state they are a White Entertaintment television station? No. You won't because all the blacks would hollar it's racist. I'm so sick of hearing it. Even hear at work, we have black people that are also putting white people down and calling me white girl, but if someone were to call them "black girl" it would be holy hell and I would get written up. I don't ever recall ABC, NBC, or CBS claiming to be white television. And black actors are also honored at the Academy awards, Golden Globes and so on. Name me one award show or station that specifically states they cater to the white population only. You can't because there isn't one!!

NYchick

JustaGuy 3 hours ago
Would it be politically incorrect for me to say
is it really that surprising those kinds of people can't read?

@JustaGuy
What da F*** you mean you people?

What do YOU MEAN you mean you people?

A little tropic thunder humor. haha. Oh and btw...you are a pompous ass and possibly racist but definitely pompous.

So anyway according to Mediatakeout, the award was meant for Rihanna and Drake was meant for her to accept it on her behalf since he was featured on the song. The fan read chris brown's name from the teleprompter in error because I guess his name was the last one announced. She then read the right name as Rihanna actually won the fan choice award buuuut according to some snitches Chris threw a b*tchfit backstage and started threatening people. Either way...get it together BET. The rest of the show was good though

wicky

Someone's getting firedddddddd

Ardon

ABC, NBC, Etc is not “White TV” there are people of all race on them. BET excludes whites; that makes it racist. There is no “reverse racism” no one race owns racism. If you want more blacks, Asians etc on the other channels then promote people from your race and support them, don’t fault white people for it. So sick of “poor me” attitudes, raise your race up don’t tear others down…Even better support the only true and worthy race “ The human Race”, only then will we really move forward.

electriczipper

dont hate about an hour ago
To all you racist white people it must be killing you that your president is black…. I can’t believe the TMZ allows all you dumb ass racist SOB to write the kind of ignorant comments and not delete it…. And for the dumb ass that is talking about BET and not WET, don’t you realize that ever other station is WET (white entertainment television). You guys can hate on black people all you want because you’re the ones that’s going out there and buying the music, downloading the songs, and wearing the clothes…. Pretty much wanting be like us… so you’re just a closet right now… dumb assess, leave my black people along you stupid white trash….
--------------------------------------
be like you
I would kill myself first

tink981

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wow, your post was a lot more ignorant than mine. You are making my case for me with your arrogant post. Not everyone wants to be like black people. Sorry to burst your bubble. There are also people I consider to be black trash so we are pretty even in that regard.

Wendy

Well, I'm not racist either and I know that there are two channels that EXPLICTLY state they are for HISPANIC ENTERTAINMENT only. TELEMUNDO and UNIVISION. But if we objected the Hispanics would hollar it's racist. I have the same problems at my work where the P.Ricans call me "white girl" and "Invader" and that the "border crossed us we didn't cross the border" tripe. ABC, NBC and CBS never claimed to exclude Hispanics they were included but they still felt the need to have exclusive TV stations for them alone. The Academy , the Golden Globes and the rest do include the Hispanics but they still invented award shows to cater only to them... The Ritmo Awards and the ALMA awards. White people don't do that and it's our country.

NYchick

Sooo hmm the classic BET verse WET debate. The reason that BET was established was so that it could feature music, movies and television shows that celebrate black culture.

I also want to note in no way does the channel promote any supremacy and there are plenty of NON black actors, actresses, and musicians that are featured on the channel.

Traditionally mainstream media was to engage a general audience, not target specific groups of people. For instance, most movies or TV shows did not/does not feature more than a couple of minorities. For most of us, who grew up in a black household to have a channel that features music we grew up listening to and see tv with people that look like ones in our family is a good thing. This channel features specific music, movies, comedians etc. For instance if you enjoy hip hop or R&B, or like a certain style of movies you may like it. If you dont...its probably not the channel for you. But I watch telemundo and I am not Mexican...maybe it wouldnt hurt to broaden your interests, at least to quiet your fears

My only concern with a WET channel would be that it may foster a supremacy with special interest groups like KKK or skinheads. I would also be concerned that no other minorities or groups would be allowed on the channel which isnt the case with BET

Lastly, I really want to emphasize, this should not be a BLACK/WHITE issue. There are many other races and groups other than blacks and whites.

kp

I rarely comment on post because everytime there is a person of color the tone always goes to the ugly racial side. While I am not a fan of BET (due to its lack of original programming) the station was started in the early 1980's as an entertaining outlet for Blacks because MTV would not play Black artists. MTV was designed as a rock video station so I understand the lack of blacks in their programming. So to those who make the uneducated comment about the word "Black" being in the name please note that this was done to showcase black music. Also I tend to believe that racist views are on the decline until I read message boards and it takes me back to the 1950's! I can't believe how much hatred and ignorance is still out there. People please- it's 2011!

Jamal

Yep, Telemundo and Univision are exclusively for Hispanics and they have their own awards show too all minority groups do even the gays.

kdogg

White people what are you complaining about? There were a few of you sprinkled in the audience especially your little Justin Beiber. Besides you have your own station. It's called CMT.

isaywhatiwant

OMG!!!! I knew it that it would end up "racist card"...nobody can't get along...about u wendy who says this country belongs to us..u refer as white people??? correct??? it is a sad comment cuz actually, if u think about it...white people stole it from American Natives and mexicans..about the dude complaining about white people are haters n racist (i presume u are black)...well not all white ppl are haters n racist..im white and i do believe we should include more african-american, hispanics, asians, persian in awards shows like the academy..i agree with u but u don't have to be rude and hating..and the others one*****ing because BET as only black ppl in it...well, wasn't meant to be for black people..this channel doesn't bother me at all..not as much as latino channels, asian channels or persian ones..u have an hundred channels, so many selections..what wrong with y'all??? seriously...Stop the hating and racism comments..peace and love!!!!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments