« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Beating Victim: 'I Rather Eat Feces Than Dodger Dog'

6/28/2011 6:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The man who had a verbal altercation with San Francisco Giants fan Bryan Stow at Dodger Stadium shortly before Stow was brutally attacked claims Stow was inciting Dodger fans by screaming, "I rather eat my own feces than eat a Dodger dog."

0625_bryan_stow_banda_EX

TMZ has obtained a text message sent yesterday by Juan Banda, the man who had the pre-attack run-in with Stow in the stands. TMZ posted video of the altercation Monday morning.

A friend of Banda's texted him that he saw Banda on TMZ.  Banda texted back "They are not saying they are looking for me....right?  Reason I was arguing w him was because he [Stow] crossed the line ... he yelled out, 'I rather eat my own ficies (sic) than eat a dodger dog.'"

Banda continued, "I asked Merced [a friend Banda was with at the game] to watch my back and told him [Stow] it was one thing to root for your team but you are crosing (sic) the line ... he didn't say much ... neither him or his buddies who were with him ... they were just trying to excuse his words."

Banda continued texting:  "Nothing happen and I went back to my seat. ... What I can't understand is where were his buddies when that [the attack] happened ... he was not alone during the game ... he was with 3 or 4 friends ... he did have a mouth though!"

And Banda texted, "Maybe he said the wrong thing to the wrong guys!"

062711_fight_small_v2_launchWhat's interesting about the texts is it paints a picture of Stow trying to incite Dodger fans.

We tried contacting Stow's lawyer, but so far our calls have not been returned.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Previous 15 Comments | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12

CC

My husband just wanted me to ask "where the heck were his friends when he was getting beat down?". You never leave a friend behind!

carmen huesca

theres no reason for anybody to get HURT its only a GAME.

douglas bradley

THEY HAD NO REASON TO TRY TO KILL!. NO MATTER WHO a ball game is only a game.

cami

You people do not have any idea what you're talking about. It looks to me that Bryan has his hands up, saying that he is not trying to start anything. You were not at this game in Giants gear (as I was!) and it was brutal. Dodgers fans, some of them very "gangster"-looking, with gang tatoos, etc.. were constantly in our faces, yelling at us, calling us names, and generally threatening violence the entire time. I will admit to being fearful for my safety after the game, we actually hung out at our seats for a while, putting off leaving and walking back to our car (it was parked outside of the stadium area, on the street in echo park). I seriously felt lucky we got out of there unscathed, and when we read about what happened to Stow I was not surprised in the least. Thing is, coming from AT&T Park (Giants stadium) it is perfectly reasonable to banter back and forth with opposing fans, and it is just that, banter. This was quite a different vibe at Dodgers Stadium. We'll never go back.

cami

@themillieblog - some answers to your questions:
1) supposedly bryan was jumped from behind, instantly knocking him to the ground where he hit his head. his friends tried to stop the guys from continuing to kick him (which they allegedly did for some time), but they were basically pushed off.
2)not broad daylight, the game started at 7pm, but this happened after the game finished, about 10pm.
3)the jump from behind might have been enough for the head injury (which is the majority of his problem - a head injury can be fatal if you hit the right spot just once).
4)i was there and can attest that people probably wouldn't video tape because 1 - it was dark and 2 - afraid of what might happen to them if they were seen doing so.

i was at this game and we were being threatened with violence and shouted at almost the whole time (yes, we were miserable, but we wanted to support our team on the first day of the season!). we were even afraid to go up to any staff or police we saw to report anyone, for fear of retribution. seriously scary stuff.

nace

No one should get beat down for verbal comments. That said, I've wondered before this new info from Banda whether or not Stow was being a jackass before the beating. It looks like he was and he probably should have kept quiet especially away from home!

Where were Stow's friends to help him or clearly identify the attackers?

brandon

that guy is a lieing s.o.b. but you have to know he would turn in one of his own people.

jmo

this guy banda is another pathetic dodger fan..they have gone from respectful baseball fans to gangbangers and crackheads..its not fun going to these games anymore with idiots like banda there.so he said something about a dodger dog..big deal..get over it gang member..

Jermaine

TMZ you should be ashamed of painting a picture of Stow deserving a beating because he was "inciting" Dodgers fans. Unbelievable. It doesn't matter what someone says or how loudly they say it. IT'S A BASEBALL GAME. "GAME" being the operative word here. NO ONE deserves to be beaten into a coma over a baseball game or over anything they say out of their mouth. And all you jerks at TMZ who contributed to this article ought to be ashamed of yourselves, although I'm sure you're too shallow to be.

grimrides

Even if he mouthed off, it doesn't warrant being beaten within an inch of your life. It happens to folks who don't mouth off either, my friend went to a game at Dodgers Stadium in his SF Giants Jersey and he got harassed and chased by a group of Dodgers fans in the lot only because of what he had on. They just saw his Giants gear and homed in on him and started harassing him.

Brotha C

Im sure these guys had no intentions of putting this dude in a coma! The reality is that you cant just go around disrespecting people like that and expect nothing to happen. I felt all along that this guy did and said more than what was first told.Not saying he deserved to be in a coma,but you cant be in L.A. woofing like that and not expect conflict.

Previous 15 Comments | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12