Maria Shriver

Files for Divorce

7/1/2011 3:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned Maria Shriver has pulled the trigger on her marriage ... she just filed for divorce from Arnold Schwarzenegger ... and we've learned, there is NO PRENUP.

Maria Shriver Divorce
In the divorce petition, obtained by TMZ, Shriver cites "irreconcilable differences" as her reason for ending the 25-year marriage.

Shriver is asking for spousal support and wants the judge to deny Arnold the right to ask for support for himself-- though it's highly unlikely he would.

Shriver is asking for joint custody of their minor children, who she names in the document as 17-year-old "Patrick Arnold Shriver Schwarzenegger" and 13-year-old "Christopher Sargent Shriver Schwarzenegger."

And, in the petition, filed by disso-queen Laura Wasser, Shriver is asking Arnold to pay the attorneys' fees of both parties.

As for the date Arnold and Maria separated ... it isn't specified in the divorce papers.

According to the docs, the property accumulated during the marriage will be divided at a later date.  And, sources tell TMZ, there is no prenup, so all of Arnold and Maria's earnings over the past quarter century will be divided 50/50.

Sources close to the couple tell TMZ ...  Arnold and Maria are on speaking terms and Arnold knew beforehand that she was filing divorce papers. Maria is telling friends she hopes this will be an easy and amicable divorce.

0701_arnold_maria_split_footer

tmz-top-comments-banner
Poncha Poncha

Arnold lost his family, money and reputation for a roll in the hay. Why not just take a cold shower. I thought he was smart, but I guess he is dumb after all. Was it worth it? NO! He's been ERASED ! ! ! !

SandyLester SandyLester

Huh? I thought Kennedys didn't care about infidelity.

kar kar

Good luck for the people who work it out with a cheater. I for one think I am worth more than that and deserve only the best.

tmz-top-comments-banner
Poncha Poncha

SandyLester SandyLester

Huh? I thought Kennedys didn't care about infidelity.

kar kar

Googie Googie

Asta la vista Arnold. Get him where it hurts, his money.

Barbarascy Barbarascy

I'm actually sad to see them divorcing. But some things just can't be fixed. I'd say this is one of them.

jpierce26 jpierce26

can't help but being blunt....good for her he is a D-bag. The worst kind.

MIKE MIKE

GOOD! I Hope she takes the pig to the cleaners!

Paul Paul

Who's the "Terminator" now?

Superman Superman

Kinda sad. He pretty much came out of nowhere and practically begged her to marry him. Then after they marry, he cheats on her for decades with many women. Greedy sc*mbag forgot to count his blessings. Same story, different rich guy.

Renee P.

This is truly sad but for Maria not Arnold. When you get married your suppose to be true to your spouse. She's a great woman and deserves much better than him. Just like Sandra Bullock. They both deserve much better men.

mannamedjoe

I am just sad that all of you commenters are taking this so bad, they are 2 people you don't know, will never meet and yet you act as though they are doing something bad to you. Now, that is sad!

CeeJay Louis

She has every right to do this, but there's no way a judge is going to MAKE Arnold pay for his attorney AND hers in a divorce that she filed no matter how rich or at fault he is; its just not ethical and I'm sure there is no precedence for it either.

plpicano

There are 2 types of men in the world, men that HAVE cheated and men that WILL. Why should anyone be surprised???

josie

Good going Arnold- hope you are happy now.

linda

if he was going to cheat he could of pick a better lady then the maid and a ugly one at that that is a insult to his wife just show that guys will do any body no matter what they look like and have a kid. I hope his wife get everything she can from him .Wonder how many other women he has been with she doesnt know about glad she is divorceing him.He is a big and then they talk about tiger woods at least he never had a another kid with a lady.

Jodi

Men!

cweymouth

I BETCHA THEY GET BACK TOGETHER----SIX YEARS?

old hippie

Arine was just trying to fit the Kennedy image. At least he didn't drive her off a bridge to keep her quite.

helen

It is very sad when people end love they once had for each other forgivness is all of us. only if you want it.

Barbara Gold

Marty he cheated on her. She was never unfaithful to him. He is the cheater with not one but many. He deserves what ever she dishes out.

Patrick

You can't beat the Irish. She will be unscathed and above it.

Rick Chavez

He was not getting what he wanted from his wife.
That's one of the reason man leave.

gene

How dare the maid, stay all those years in her home,knowing what she was doing with her husband, I think she should beat the socks off her first, they both are low pigs. He used her for his gain, she should take away all his rights to anything she have. He is such a dirty bag.

linda

if he was going to cheat he could of pic a pretty girl not some rag my god thats another insult to his wife.I hope she takes him for everything she can all men are alike how many other women has he been with.